• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's garbage. My tv doesn't support 120hz and I was hoping to hook the PS5 up to my 144hz monitor to try out those games.

Aug 31, 2019
On PS4 Pro it's the former. Some 1440p monitors can accept and downscale a 4K signal, but many cannot.
Yeah it be 1080p on a 1440p monitor, there is some 1440p monitors where it registers as 4k on ps4 pro and just downsamples from 4k to 1440p on that. Though even then it can still be blurry.

Wowow, that kind of astounds me. How hard is it to downscale an image in real time? PS4 pros can even live stream, right? They already support downscaling from 4k to 1080p live then, how hard would it be to have that also be 1440p

Jun 23, 2019
This makes no sense. BenQ just came out not too long ago and said that PS5 will support 1440p due to the compatibility with their monitors. I find it kind of hard to believe that IGN Italy of all publications would have news that important only privy to them, but it's stopping people in this thread from concern trolling already.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
I thought there was marketing for a gaming monitor specifically mentioning 1440p for PS5, or am I mistaken?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't know what are you talking about, this is about 1440p output signal like Xbox One do:

xbox-one-monitor-resolution-1440p-61b4b9ddf806310023c7d4b5352d5e57c.jpg
He was making a reference about Don Mattrick's Xbox One comments for those who didn't want always online, the Xbox 360.

Seems the joke passed you by, buddy.

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
To be fair it's a still a niche resolution for PC gamers let alone console gamers. As long as it will output in 4K mode and super sample there shouldn't be an issue?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I don't think Sony cares much as most TV's are 1080p or 4k. Only monitors are 1440p and almost noone plays on a monitor.
Really? You really aren't aware of young people who have everything hooked out on ther desks, in their room, rather than in the living room? Having both a PC and one or two consoles connected to the same monitor on a desk is a very common thing. Especially for young people who still live with their parents (but not only for them).

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This makes no sense. BenQ just came out not too long ago and said that PS5 will support 1440p due to the compatibility with their monitors. I find it kind of hard to believe that IGN Italy of all publications would have news that important only privy to them, but it's stopping people in this thread from concern trolling already.

honestly I'm not sure I'd believe anything until someone with a 1440p monitor tests this directly, maybe once the next embargo lifts DF can confirm?

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't have said it otherwise. I've only ever seen consoles hooked up to TV's it's not a big deal really.

Anecdotally for the majority of the people I play Destiny 2 with and that is close to 40 people none of them use a TV. I would even go as far to say monitors in general are very high in usage for console gaming, maybe not 1440p as its very specific but 1080p or 4k.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Really? You really aren't aware of young people who have everything hooked out on ther desks, in their room, rather than in the living room? Having both a PC and one or two consoles connected to the same monitor on a desk is a very common thing. Especially for young people who still live with their parents (but not only for them).
Perhaps, but I'm an old fart who's only ever played consoles on a TV.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very glad I invested in a 4K monitor for gaming, I was never too fussed about 120Hz

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
OOF, but not unsurprising considering their silence, not that bothered since I have a 4K TV but no reason to not have the option.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
... but it's stopping people in this thread from concern trolling already.
Can we bury this phrase please? It's dismissive and almost never used correctly. Concern trolling isn't when someone has a concern and voices it, it's when someone voices a "concern" disingenuously with an underlying motive to appear more agreeable and empathetic. People with 1440p screens worried about whether the system can output at 1440p isn't trolling.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Only monitors are 1440p and almost noone plays on a monitor.
A lot of people play on monitors. PC gamers who also have consoles in their rooms, students in dorm rooms, people who move consoles frequently (probably not gonna be a thing so much given the size of the PS5), people who play fighting games, tournament settings, etc.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Simply not true. Many people have their consoles on their desk setups. 1440p is a very common resolution for monitors.

But how many people? Do we have stats on the percentage of console owners who game on a 1440p monitor compared to a 1080p monitor, 1080p TV or 4KTV?

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't get why Sony keeps doing this, it's not a huge thing to have support for that's going to cost a lot of money and resources. Microsoft has supported non standard resolution since Xbox days, but it isn't even about non standard resolution, just 1440P would be good and for a console that is likely to have a lot of sub 4K games it seems like a good thing to have atleast as an option.

I would've been happy playing at 1440P if it supported, now unless I get a 4K screen the console will downsample it to 1080P then the monitor will upscale it to 1440P leading to a really blurry image.
Could be due the way Ms and Sony handle output resolutions differently.

On Xbox the output resolution does not affect the game and the console either downsamples or upscales if the native resolution mismatches the output.

On Pro it seems the output resolution is exposed to the game which is the one that decides how to handle (that's why some games run better when outputting at 1080p)

So a 1440p resolution could both potentially break old games (though that's easy to solve) or add more burden on developers to handle a 3rd target resolution that isn't even used on TVs.

bboris77

Sep 11, 2020
It is a shame since I game mostly on a monitor and 4K monitors do not have the best motion resolution due to the low refresh rate. There is always a choice of running it in 1080p 120Hz if you are really into competitive FPS shooters. Realistically, 120 fps is probably only reachable at 1080p resolution anyway with decent image quality.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
What does that mean? Only the UI will look bad with a 1440p monitor but the games will look fine?

Games can render internally at whatever resolution they want, then they are output at a specific resolution. So if the game runs at 4K or 1440p, and you want to display it on a 1440p monitor, you'll have to set the system to output to 1080p. Rendered resolution is different from output resolution.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
But how many people? Do we have stats on the percentage of console owners who game on a 1440p monitor compared to a 1080p monitor, 1080p TV or 4KTV?

How many people in this thread are running free damage control for Sony for no reason? Probably way less than people who have consoles hooked up to a 1440p monitor. Since there are no numbers available for this anywhere and you already knew that, that's all I've got for you.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Simply not true. Many people have their consoles on their desk setups. 1440p is a very common resolution for monitors.

Well, if were looking at Steam, where I'm sure a lot of people would be playing if they're also using a PS5 and hooking their monitor up to it, according to them, only 7.70% of people are running at 1440p on their primary displays. Of course, 4K is behind at 2.30%, but 1080p is still far and away the most common at 65.67%. I myself use a 1440p monitor and think it's weird for Sony not to support it, but it's still a minority.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
What does that mean? Only the UI will look bad with a 1440p monitor but the games will look fine?
The output resolution is the final pixel grid sent over the hdmi cable to your screen. You want this to be equal to your screen so additional scaling doesn't need to occur. The more you scale, the more information you lose. So ps5 owners on 1440p screens will have games running above 1080p, likely reconstructing (scaling) to 4k, then downsampling to 1080p, then the monitor upscales that to 1440p. It looks terrible.