• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
How do you even access that stuff? Friends and I started again a couple days ago and from what I can tell it's still just the same fetch quests from the 3 quest givers

In your progression menu, there is a button for Tall Tales. There's a hint in there where to go to start your quest.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I wouldn't say reinvented because that sounds like they completely threw everything out and worked again. When in reality the game was always great and they just built upon the amazing foundation they created.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
How do you even access that stuff? Friends and I started again a couple days ago and from what I can tell it's still just the same fetch quests from the 3 quest givers
In your progression menu, there is a button for Tall Tales. There's a hint in there where to go to start your quest.

They've also recently added markers to the ship map for where the tall tales start locations are. An island/outpost will have an icon next to it if the tall tale can be started there, and zooming in on the island will show the location where the quest giver is. Once you go there, there will be a journal to vote on that starts the quest. The first one can be started at any tavern next to the mysterious stranger in the back.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Rare so far has delivered more than 22 free content updates & events for Sea of Thieves.

ETFkNAyXgAQ4f-S

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
They've also recently added markers to the ship map for where the tall tales start locations are. An island/outpost will have an icon next to it if the tall tale can be started there, and zooming in on the island will show the location where the quest giver is. Once you go there, there will be a journal to vote on that starts the quest. The first one can be started at any tavern next to the mysterious stranger in the back.

Good shout!

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
What do you really do in this game? Someone convince me to free up some disk space and try it.

Feb 10, 2018
Hmm, yeah I can see what you mean. Though I really liked the latest addition to the Tall Tales. The platforming and story was quite good. A little short maybe (2 hours or so?).

I'd love to see more interesting enemies and locations for sure. But for me and my friends (I think I play 2 times per month or something) it still gives us enough to do. We are playing through all the Tall Tales, doing some fortresses and sometimes PvP a little.

This is not true. My estimates are they sold 4 - 5 million copies at most. Last year, with 8 million people who've played, around 50% of them came from sales (https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-04-10-the-second-launch-of-sea-of-thieves / https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-06-13-sea-of-thieves-reaches-8-4m-lifetime-players). 10 million people have played Sea of Thieves so far. But Game Pass has become more popular. So 4 to 5 million sales would be a good estimate.

Meanwhile GoldenEye 007 is Rare's best selling game with 8 million copies sold. Sea of Thieves is somewhere between Banjo-Kazooie (3.6 million) and Diddy Kong Racing (4.8 million) would be my guess.

Yeah its a welcome addition, and sea of theives greatest strength is its ooen world, mmo'ness and solid mechanics. However bit reminds me of N64/ ps2 games where i wished for many things but they just never happened on that gen.
Maybe sea of thieves could get a reboot for next gen where the things I talk about are implemented.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Most fun I've had online this gen last week playing this with a couple of friends. I'm a bawhair away from convincing another friend to get an Xbox/Gamepass to join us.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
What do you really do in this game? Someone convince me to free up some disk space and try it.
Yeah, this. I remember checking it out on launch, have no idea what to do at all and when I looked for info all I got was "it's better played with friends!"

But what if I don't have those lol, is the community accepting of new people? Does it have a high skill ceiling? I hear there's PVP, is it competitive? Is it compatible solo? All I know is that I just fooled around for less than two hours before uninstalling it right away.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
One of my favorite games this gen and one of my most liked multiplayer experiences ever.
You don't need to play it for hundreds of hours in one go, but you can always come back and explore something new without the need to "get to max level first".

It's often relaxing and serene while at the same time being full of adventure and tension.
It's a fantastic way for Rare to be recognized again.
I even like the way the used the money store for GaaS and when they implemented it. They made fixing and updating a priority first and way later added stuff like animals, more cosmetics and more emotions to the game.

If you wanna get an impression of how much fun a crew can have without doing anything worthwhile or without being good, have a look at Giant Bombs Sea Beasts:

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I don't play it...but i can't wait to see the visual upgrades come next gen. Id probably enjoy it if i found a crew.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Are you trying to say that's a single player game? Have they announced that? Because if not going by that trailer I'd expect it to be GaaS.

Nobody knows. Was just trying to point out that Rare is still making games besides Sea of Thieves. So there are chances of SP games. Though, the chance of single player only games are slim. I expect some form of co-op.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this. I remember checking it out on launch, have no idea what to do at all and when I looked for info all I got was "it's better played with friends!"

But what if I don't have those lol, is the community accepting of new people? Does it have a high skill ceiling? I hear there's PVP, is it competitive? Is it compatible solo? All I know is that I just fooled around for less than two hours before uninstalling it right away.

It's a multiplayer sandbox experience. There are some formulaic "go here do thing" style quests that you do to up your reputation and earn gold for cosmetics. On the way to do that thing, 8 million interesting things happen, and you forget to do that thing, but hopefully when you get back to port you have a bunch of treasure to sell anyway. You can do tihs ranging from solo on a sloop to a team of 4 on a galleon. You will be ganked, not just by players, but by the PvE systems, with skeleton ships, megalodons, etc attacking you, or a volcano erupting, or a storm blowing in. It doesn't set you back at all really, because there's no progression in the RPG sense.

Sales pitch: you can shoot yourself out of a cannon and land on an enemy ship, and then sword fight them, and you will feel so cool for pulling it off.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
That just corroborate my point. I want more of these instead of keeping Rare for the whole generation busy with a single GaaS.
And let's be honest, XB needs more SP exclusives than another multiplayer.
I like xbox because of their dedication to multiplayer games. Games are an event that i can experience and enjoy with friends as i get older. Im all for both single player and multiplayer options but I really want more games like sea of thieves.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody knows. Was just trying to point out that Rare is still making games besides Sea of Thieves. So there are chances of SP games. Though, the chance of single player only games are slim. I expect some form of co-op.

Ok. It was just the other guy you replied to said he wanted Rare to do single player games and you posted the video in response. And I sincerely doubt that will be a single player game.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I think Tall Tales is great addition and SoT can be fun PvP co-op game (especially with a full ship).

That being said, basic loot mechanics and the gold system is still somewhat weird. Gold is only used for cosmetics and there is no interesting loot around, just the basic items you encounter during the first hour or two over and over again. And every time you see an interesting location you know exactly what you can find there. Basic quests end up being repetitive but they can still work as a framework for sweet PvP action. Outside of that the game feels a bit shallow IMHO.

I understand gold/loot is designed like that because of balancing but it feels more like an easy way out than a good reason. Other games have solved similar problems with solutions such as ranking systems or inherent item balancing (like TF2 having different "flavours" of items). The SoT way is kinda like an FPS game where everyone is equipped with a 9mm pistol and by winning a round you can get new skins for the weapon for the next round.

Maybe I could use gold to restock my ship at outposts? To buy tips about where other players may be hiding? Maybe items could have more variation, inventory could be permanent and you wouldn't spawn with the full set every time? Quests where you need to hide loot under pressure? More Skull Fort type of events? Races? I don't know but even after all the updates I'm still not sure about core gameplay in SoT.

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really sure Rare 'reinvented' the game. They've added tons to the game, but the bones that were there at launch are still very much there. They've generally avoided removing/overhauling elements that don't work so well. Overhauled combat mechanics in particular would be huge.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
"Reinvented" isn't the word I would use. It still feels quite a bit like the game that launched two years ago - it's mostly more that they've just added more content and improved the existing mechanics as opposed to remaking/revamping what was already there.

The ship stuff is genuinely fun when everything clicks, but the on-foot combat is still terribly mediocre. If there's any aspect of the game that needs vast improvements, that would be it for me.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I know it's a core design philosophy, but the lack of real character progression and meaningful loot is turning me off this game. I totally get why Rare chose to go that path and I'm happy they're making it work for fans of the game. It seems fantastic if you have a group to play with and just want to mess around. I'm more into solo stuff, so it's just not for me.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
It makes me happy to see Rare back in the spotlight (in ways) I just wish Sea of Thieves clicked more for me. I was there day 1 and even took off work for release, I was hyped. Game was/is gorgeous and i love the idea, just didn't grab me like I had hoped. Seemed too shallow and still seems that way despite all the content support.

Again, glad they're doing well with it though and I'm still eager to see/play whatever Rare does next.

Oct 25, 2017
Good for Rare.

Shouldn't have launched in that barebones state in the first place. Glad Rare found a way to turn it around though.

Not disagreeing, but on the other hand, it allowed Rare to improve the game based on user feedback instead of just internal feedback. It feels like this how MP will be designed more and more in the future.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
The most fun I've had in MP since Goldeneye. This game is really special if you have friends to play with.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I've been following this game since they first announced it at E3 all those years ago, it's very unique and has only gotten better since launch. I hope they keep further expanding it into the next-gen. My only major gripe is that the combat is still lacking, especially the sword combat. Otherwise, the game has a lot of charm and full of great moments if you have a good crew.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
I'm a solo player and it's the best multiplayer since Dark Souls. The lack of "real" rewards people talk about doesn't bother me, having every encounter with another player be unique is all I need.

Deleted member 64517

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2020
Some people want Rare to do single player games but they've said repeatedly that they want to make unique shared experiences, why force them to do anything else?

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Hmm, yeah I can see what you mean. Though I really liked the latest addition to the Tall Tales. The platforming and story was quite good. A little short maybe (2 hours or so?).

I'd love to see more interesting enemies and locations for sure. But for me and my friends (I think I play 2 times per month or something) it still gives us enough to do. We are playing through all the Tall Tales, doing some fortresses and sometimes PvP a little.

This is not true. My estimates are they sold 4 - 5 million copies at most. Last year, with 8 million people who've played, around 50% of them came from sales (https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-04-10-the-second-launch-of-sea-of-thieves / https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-06-13-sea-of-thieves-reaches-8-4m-lifetime-players). 10 million people have played Sea of Thieves so far. But Game Pass has become more popular. So 4 to 5 million sales would be a good estimate.

Meanwhile GoldenEye 007 is Rare's best selling game with 8 million copies sold. Sea of Thieves is somewhere between Banjo-Kazooie (3.6 million) and Diddy Kong Racing (4.8 million) would be my guess.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Donkey Kong Country is Rare's best selling game at 9 million copies. Goldeneye would be second.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the combat was fun. I don't like it at all. Part of the reason why I was waiting on Skull and Bones to come out because fighting in that looks intense.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ok thanks for this, it was Rare's fastest selling game when it launched. I thought I read it was Rare's overall best selling but I'll need to dig that up, so until I do I stand corrected. Even then, it's a big hit commercially and with a large number of gamers.

The magical part for me and my friends was simply the sheer amount of ways you can create your own fun, from the charismatic animations to the inventive mechanics it's quintessentially Rare.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
It is to multiplayer what BoTW was to open-world games. Absolutely brilliant.

The Tall Tales is easily the best coop experience you can get.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Rare needs to add more variety to their enemies

Like for examples, as tedious as the Briggsy fight was, it was still a memorable one since she pulled out lots of moves that you rarely see like teleportation and AOE attacks

Also, they need to rework fighting, isn't fun to swordplay or use guns here

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rare needs to add more variety to their enemies

Like for examples, as tedious as the Briggsy fight was, it was still a memorable one since she pulled out lots of moves that you rarely see like teleportation and AOE attacks

Also, they need to rework fighting, isn't fun to swordplay or use guns here
Agree with all this. I have no idea why the team are seemingly averse to new enemy types.

Calm Killer

Oct 25, 2017
I played at launch at got bored with it. Started playing a few weeks ago and pretty sure my friend and I have put in a out 100 hours the last few weeks. Amazing game now. Just wish the combat was better.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
They've done a brilliant job, the series x will give them more incentive to keep it going. Can't wait to see it on the new console!

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
they put out 3 releases this gen...

Thats not including any advisory role on titles like Battletoads either.

And only two of those releases were new original games..........and out of those two, one of them was a Kinect Sports sequel.

I'm very happy for Rare's success this gen, but compared to last gen, their output has been kinda pathetic, as much as I hate to say it. It's hard not to at least be a little disappointed in them.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
And only two of those releases were new original games..........and out of those two, one of them was a Kinect Sports sequel.

I'm very happy for Rare's success this gen, but compared to last gen, their output has been kinda pathetic, as much as I hate to say it. It's hard not to at least be a little disappointed in them.
Isn't this the case for most big devs? One big release

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
How about delivering a great game day one. GAAS just gives them an excuse to launch games that are obviously not their final vision.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019

you say that but people still just completely neglect all the games they released last gen too. (shout out to the viva pinata hardcore) They put out 10 games with 2 of them being kinect titles and somehow they became an idea bankrupt studio that only made kinect games (2 of which were Nintendo DS titles)

That being said if you expected like 10 games from them this gen too I dont know how you could have, games are bigger, more expensive and require more people and releasing 10 games let alone new IP and new tech within 7 years is just wow... The studio has seen a massive increase in hires since the release of Rare Replay and Sea of Thieves, they are still hiring.
Glad to see them still working on what they want to work, and the large increase of people means they can go back to more of a 2 team studio or continue with a full in production team (EverWild), A Live Ops team (Sea of Thieves) and an incubation team.