• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Two years later, the company has delivered in spades. Here are just a few of the new features that add up to Chapman's critical mass. A collection of multi-step questlines called Tall Tales, which light up the world map with swashbuckling, genre-flick adventures. A Bermuda's Triangle-like region called the Devil's Roar, which is stocked with both plunder and dangerous volcanoes. A brand new game mode, the Arena, which pits rival brigantines against each other in instanced, player-vs-player battle. Rare initially promised an elaborate, fantastical pirate's paradise -- and they got there, eventually. Two years after release, Sea of Thieves finally resembles the experience people dreamt about after its formal unveiling at E3 2015.

Today, Sea of Thieves is a surprise hit on Twitch -- megastreamer Jaryd "Summit1g" Lazar has integrated it into his broadcast rotation -- and in total, the game has over 1.8 million followers on the platform. After almost two decades in the wilderness since Microsoft acquired Rare in 2002, the venerable company finally has a bona fide phenomenon on its hands. Sometimes, as Chapman explains, the team has even found Twitch to be an inspiration for upcoming additions in the patch notes. There was a trend called "tucking," where players used the "sleep" emote to stowaway on unsuspecting ships. Rare didn't consider it an exploit. Instead, they added "hide" emotes so players could take their infiltration to a whole new level.

"We've embraced it," says Chapman. "We were like, 'That's really funny, that's cool, that's exactly what we want to see, people using the mechanics in an interesting way.'"

With title updates, hotfixes, and a ceaseless development cycle, every franchise earns at least one second chance in the open-world, always-online era. But Rare never betrayed their faith. The studio charted a comeback with a remarkably steadfast commitment to its vision of Sea of Thieves, betting it all on a single unassailable fact: that we all wish we could live the pirate's life. That core trust has informed every design decision they've made, and as a result, its shores will be awash in gold for a long, long time.

Full article:
www.ign.com

How Rare Successfully Reinvented Sea of Thieves - IGN

Despite a lukewarm reception at its initial launch, the team at Rare remained committed to its vision of a pirate adventure on the high seas.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Successfully reinvent it? Didn't IGN themselves recently re-review it and give it a 7?

Edit: Nvm, 7 was the original score. They re-reviewed it to an 8:

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
User Banned (1 Week) - Continued history of drive-by trolling
just let it die

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it's amazing now. The game has an incredible journey behind it, love it that Microsoft trusts and enables its studios to create Games no one else is able to do.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Reinvented it by working on a game that was underdone, probs to them and Microsoft for letting it continue to live.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Top 20 in the UK in most played Xbox games, top 25 in the US. Ahead of Borderlands 3, PUBG, Monster Hunter World, MK11, Elder Scrolls Online, Division 2, and others.

And its coming to Steam soon.

Why would you want something popular to die lol?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of the actual quality of the game, Microsoft and Rare definitely deserve props for turning it into something that has clearly resonated with a really large audience

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
The sword and gun combat is still complete shit which is why I don't have that much fun with it.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Unfortunately it wasnt much fun when I played it at launch and I just dont have the time or enthusiasm to go back and revisit. At least it wasnt a total failure after all by the sounds of it.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
There seems to be a growing list of games that have released less than stellar but seen significant improvement over the years (Destiny 1+2, R6 Seige, For Honor, Sea of Thieves, No Man's Sky, Street Fighter V, and more) . A Larger discussion could be made about the seeming see saw of people who praise it for its current state and those that rip on it for not being in said state in its original inception. Probably something off topic though.

Glad to see this game do so well. Don't really have a group of people to play with to try it out but the concept had always seemed novel enough.

Jun 1, 2018
I absolutely disagree, how can you call a game that was soooo barebones at launch "reinvented"? Also the combat is still boring and soo simple

Aug 13, 2019
Sea of Thieves looks a lot more interesting now than it did upon release. I still don't know if I want to praise games that follow the No Man's Sky model.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It's beautiful and conceptually really cool. The Tall Tales have fun stories and their quests are thoughtful and interesting.

That said, it has a ton of very serious flaws to this day. No checkpointing in Tall Tales even though they can take hours (Supposedly this is going to be addressed soon, though way too long after it's been a problem), sword and gun combat that remains pretty bad, PvP encounters with people who want nothing to do with PvP that leads to trolling and ruining someone's experience. The list goes on.

It's a game I really like when everything is clicking, but it's also a game that can feel absolutely awful when things are not.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Well, Ubisoft can get away with it, releasing half assed games and then improving them over time. That's what Microsoft did
Plus the game was on Gamepass
I'm not encouraging this from any dev, if you offer something for $60 then it should be worth it day one. Not "eh, we'll fix it later."

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Oh, and I'd like to recommend this Reddit page: https://www.reddit.com/r/SeaOfPhotography/

qFUqLzA.jpg

aOWb3Qi.jpg

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game is simply brilliant, and a real plus for MS first party offering. I rediscovered it during lockdown, 5 of my friends (via Gamepass) are now hooked.

Game is one of the most successful new ips this gen, it's Rare best selling game of all time, and features some of the best naval combat in a game.

Mr_DyZ

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Is this article ignoring the time about a year ago when Summit played Sea of Thieves in his normal rotation, and also caused it to surge in popularity. Because I'd say that's more important than now.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
That just corroborate my point. I want more of these instead of keeping Rare for the whole generation busy with a single GaaS.
And let's be honest, XB needs more SP exclusives than another multiplayer.

That's why Rare has added a lot of new developers to their studio. They are now a full two team studio. I'd be very happy if Rare could both support a popular GaaS and create new experiences at the same time.

that topic title is so ahead of itself lol

It's the title of the article.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sea of Thieves was one of my primary motivations for choosing Xbox One over PS4 this generation. Glad the game is doing so well.

Feb 10, 2018
And you don't like the new story campaigns? or the PvP mode?

The new story quests are basically jazzed up quests, they have more story deliverd via text and some speech, they have jazzed up skeletons to kill and theres some cool tombs.
But they are still very similar and rather boring.
I want new enemies, that are not skeletons, new locations like inside moby dick or the under water cave of mermaid sea mermaid sirens, maybe you got to find the ghost barge which is more detailed and bigger then a galleon, with ghost pirates, there so much they could do.
But now even the new quests are more primitive the skyrim side quests.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The new story quests are basically jazzed up quests, they have more story deliverd via text and some speech, they have jazzed up skeletons to kill and theres some cool tombs.
But they are still very similar and rather boring.
I want new enemies, that are not skeletons, new locations like inside moby dick or the under water cave of mermaid sea mermaid sirens, maybe you got to find the ghost barge which is more detailed and bigger then a galleon, with ghost pirates, there so much they could do.
But now even the new quests are more primitive the skyrim side quests.

Hmm, yeah I can see what you mean. Though I really liked the latest addition to the Tall Tales. The platforming and story was quite good. A little short maybe (2 hours or so?).

I'd love to see more interesting enemies and locations for sure. But for me and my friends (I think I play 2 times per month or something) it still gives us enough to do. We are playing through all the Tall Tales, doing some fortresses and sometimes PvP a little.

This is not true. My estimates are they sold 4 - 5 million copies at most. Last year, with 8 million people who've played, around 50% of them came from sales (https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-04-10-the-second-launch-of-sea-of-thieves / https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-06-13-sea-of-thieves-reaches-8-4m-lifetime-players). 10 million people have played Sea of Thieves so far. But Game Pass has become more popular. So 4 to 5 million sales would be a good estimate.

Meanwhile GoldenEye 007 is Rare's best selling game with 8 million copies sold. Sea of Thieves is somewhere between Banjo-Kazooie (3.6 million) and Diddy Kong Racing (4.8 million) would be my guess.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
This game singlehandedly got me back into playing multiplayer games online for the first time in over a decade. I have gotten like 10 people to try it since quarantine started, and I keep evangelizing to recruit more. A few of my teammates from my wednesday night soccer team started playing this with me on Wednesday nights since soccer is canceled for the foreseeable future. My daughter has started playing it with me. It is just so, so good.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
I have a cool love/hate relationship with the game. I love the naval gameplay and the general feel, but hate the progression. Tall Tales were fun, but they should wait and release a big one instead of small ones imo. Also, the game could really have more vivid islands and enemy diversity. I don't blame Rare for focus in more PVP stuff, it what people want, but they could blend this better into SP stuff. I'm happy the game is doing well, it means that they'll continue with updates or even a sequel. I hope someday the game delivers the true potential that I have in mind.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
One of my very personal GotG candidates. A true pillar game for Xbox moving forward.

I hope they have a 4K/60fps patch ready for XSX launch. It just plays so much better at 60fs on PC (and looks better on Mythic settings as well):

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The sword combat is still horrid though. That's my biggest gripe with the game.
i feel like their combat balancing has been in complete limbo ever since streamers popularized the double gun exploit back during the first christmas update. even some of the changes they were recently trying in insiders they decided not to go along with were still trying to mitigate a two gun combo even if the original exploit from year 1 has been fixed.