• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
IGN posted an article about the Great Ace Attorney fan-TL that was finished a few months ago. They talked with the folks that worked on the project about a bit of the process, and the history of the game's (lack) of a translation.

Imagine translating 32,000 boxes of Japanese text, each box consisting of 15 or so words filled with nuanced dialogue and cultural references specific to a country other than your own. It's a grueling task only the most dedicated would endure, and that's exactly the spirit behind the Scarlet Study team, a group of enthusiastic online fans who did what Capcom couldn't: translate the entirety of Dai Gyakuten Saiban, a standalone game in the Ace Attorney series, oftentimes dubbed The Great Ace Attorney.

While the technical side of the project was tough to tackle, the actual translating brought its own set of hurdles. Masterofmemes, another administrator, talked about the challenges of staying true to the original text. "I'd say we kinda straddle the line between 'direct' translation and 'eat your hamburgers, Apollo.' [A meme poking fun at the official localization of the main series and its heavy inclusion of Japanese themes despite its Los Angeles setting] While we want the original writing to shine as much as possible, we also try to read into the nuances a little bit and make them work in English."

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...ed-the-great-ace-attorney-when-capcom-couldnt

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Wasn't there other japan-only games in this series? Did those get translations?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nice. Wasn't there other japan-only games in this series? Did those get translations?
AA Investigations 2 on the DS also received a translation by fans, I don't know of any other ones, the original trilogy on the GBA did, perhaps.

GAA is getting a sequel though I think, so that one's probably the next.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Screw Capcom. They don't even have the courtesy to tell us it isn't going to happen. I'm glad passionate fans like these exist.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'll never understand how capcom "can't" localize certain titles like TGAA 1&2 along with Investigations 2 which have committed fanbases.

But atlus, xseed, and others can localize stuff with even more text from the most niche titles and give them a physical release to boot.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
As much shit as I give Capcom for how they handle this series, I feel like DGS is where at least the localization team's hands were tied.

From Capcom being apprehensive of non-Phoenix games due to AAI underperforming (which might have been more to do with piracy) to potential legal issues with the Holmes stuff in the US. The localization team were told to prioritize AA6 over DGS if I remember right and that game came out in late 2016. Not to mention that DGS 1 and 2 were the lowest selling entries in the series.

The best people can hope for in regards to an official translation is for an Android/iOS release, as those ports already exist in Japan and releasing a new game on the 3DS at this point would be dumb.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah hate to be like the 4th comment late to this but I also take issue with the "couldn't". Like said above we've not even been given an explanation/excuse. Screw "couldn't".

But that aside I'm definitely going to give this a try eventually.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
As much shit as I give Capcom for how they handle this series, I feel like DGS is where at least the localization team's hands were tied.

From Capcom being apprehensive of non-Phoenix games due to AAI underperforming (which might have been more to do with piracy) to potential legal issues with the Holmes stuff in the US. The localization team were told to prioritize AA6 over DGS if I remember right and that game came out in late 2016. Not to mention that DGS 1 and 2 were the lowest selling entries in the series.

The best people can hope for in regards to an official translation is for an Android/iOS release, as those ports already exist in Japan and releasing a new game on the 3DS at this point would be dumb.

I understand the rest of this, but "potential legal issues with the Holmes stuff in the US" doesn't make sense to me; Sherlock Holmes as a character is no longer protected by US copyright law (hasn't been for a while) and actually is the subject of a prominent copyright case discussing the way we copyright characters in long running fiction. Unless the games specifically take from some of the later ACD stories (who's copyright expires in the next few years) I can't imagine there's any valid associated copyright claim.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I understand the rest of this, but "potential legal issues with the Holmes stuff in the US" doesn't make sense to me; Sherlock Holmes as a character is no longer protected by US copyright law (hasn't been for a while) and actually is the subject of a prominent copyright case discussing the way we copyright characters in long running fiction. Unless the games specifically take from some of the later ACD stories (who's copyright expires in the next few years) I can't imagine there's any valid associated copyright claim.

IIRC it does use characters from the later stories.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've read, it does use subjects/characters from those copyrighted stories.

I'm pretty sure that the Conan Doyle estate has gone after some of the recent Sherlock movies even though they're in the clear, so Capcom may not want to risk it.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
IIRC it does use characters from the later stories.

Ahhhhh okay, that makes a lot more sense. I just thought they took Holmes and Watson, didn't realize they took characters/cases beyond them. Understandable why it hasn't been translated then, given how protective the Doyle estate is.

From what I've read, it does use subjects/characters from those copyrighted stories.

I'm pretty sure that the Conan Doyle estate has gone after some of the recent Sherlock movies even though they're in the clear, so Capcom may not want to risk it.

I haven't done a ton of research on it, but it's wild that the copyrighted characters isn't the first thing brought up when people discussing localization then; the Doyle estate is very litigious and if there's any potentially valid claims it absolutely makes sense for Capcom to not localize it.

That's also true, but those claims would be dismissed almost immediately (for ones that have expired), so I don't think that's a huge concern.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I'll never understand how capcom "can't" localize certain titles like TGAA 1&2 along with Investigations 2 which have committed fanbases.

But atlus, xseed, and others can localize stuff with even more text from the most niche titles and give them a physical release to boot.
Opportunity costs. Smaller companies fight for scraps of the pie while bigger corps put all their muscle on bigger pieces. Another factor is that bigger companies often pay better, have better benefits, etc. meaning the actual cost may be higher for them than for the exact same product for a smaller company running on a smaller group of passionate individuals.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't done a ton of research on it, but it's wild that the copyrighted characters isn't the first thing brought up when people discussing localization then; the Doyle estate is very litigious and if there's any potentially valid claims it absolutely makes sense for Capcom to not localize it.
I've looked it up and it seems like
elements from The Three Garridebs and The Lion's Mane are used throughout Case 4.

There are also a number of references in Holmes' apartment.

Last edited:

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
I have mad respect for the fan translation teams. They follow Janet Hsu's localization philosphy very accurately too, wish she could comment on it (her team would do it if they were allowed to by top brass).

Capcom USA should just crowdfund localization if the costs for niche titles make no sense to Japanese management.

Opportunity costs. Smaller companies fight for scraps of the pie while bigger corps put all their muscle on bigger pieces. Another factor is that bigger companies often pay better, have better benefits, etc. meaning the actual cost may be higher for them than for the exact same product for a smaller company running on a smaller group of passionate individuals.

^This. What's financially feasible for a smaller company is not necessarily going to work for a larger one. It's nothing anyone wants to hear, but the hard numbers often say their time is better spent on different projects. A dedicated online presence doesn't always translate to consumer clout, unfortunately.