• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Last time we had a game aiming for "fun" above all we got the absolute masterpiece Crackdown 3. Maybe this means Days Gone can match the incredible reception that that game received!

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i meant fun as in enjoyment...

It depends what you mean by enjoyment. I "enjoyed" my time with RDR2 just like I enjoy watching films like First Reformed, but the texture of these experiences is very specific, and they're clearly designed to illicit different responses than games like Days Gone or whatever.

Like, the goal of every piece of art should probably be for you to walk away from it feeling like experiencing it was more productive than just doing nothing for an equivalent amount of time, but there are an infinite number of ways to accomplish this.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
This is one of the major selling points of the game. There are multiple human factions, multiple types of freakers and even different regular animals like wolves and deer. They will all roam the world looking for food, water and shelter and many will fight with each other and such.

That's exactly what I was hoping for. I'll definitely follow some random humans to see how they meet their end.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Do they mention anything about the unpredictability of the world?

I'm hoping the open world is unscripted. I'd love to see all sorts of funny scenarios between zombies, animals, and human npcs.
Did you see one of the previous threads about Days Gone (I think it's the one called 21 things you didn't know or something like that)??? If not, then you should check it out.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Platform Warring. History of similar infractions.
Oh so "just being fun" is a plus now? 2 months ago "just being fun" wasnt enough for Crackdown 3.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
How did this become a "but these hypocritical critics didn't like Crackdown 3" thread? What does that even have to do with this?

Oct 25, 2017
"If you lose your bike, you're going to be screwed" doesn't sound like a fun-above-all-else design choice. I always presumed they were meant to be pushing survival elements.
Came to say something similar. This claim about fun doesn't really square with how they've promoted the game so far. The reliance on the bike and the potential for emergent danger at any point suggests a more stressful kind of engagement to me. Maybe deaths just don't matter at all so even when things go horribly wrong it's still fun?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Came to say something similar. This claim about fun doesn't really square with how they've promoted the game so far. The reliance on the bike and the potential for emergent danger at any point suggests a more stressful kind of engagement to me. Maybe deaths just don't matter at all so even when things go horribly wrong it's still fun?
Being fun/accessible/enjoyable to play (RE 2, Last of Us, Dead Space) isn't the same as evoking a fun atmosphere (Hokokum, Pikmin, Mario Odyssey, etc). The devs have said they want the game to be anxiety-inducing

Oct 25, 2017
Oh so "just being fun" is a plus now? 2 months ago "just being fun" wasnt enough for Crackdown 3.
Crackdown 3 wasn't actually fun.

The comparison is silly anyway because Days Gone isn't "just" fun, it's also a large open world with modern AAA production value and interacting systems. Crackdown had literally nothing going for it so people had to excuse it's baffling lack of ambition by saying "hey it's just fun, man, it doesn't need to aim higher."

Oct 25, 2017
Where in this video does it actually say "it's about fun over all"? I assumed this was messaging from Bend but is it just this guy's opinion or what?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Where in this video does it actually say "it's about fun over all"? I assumed this was messaging from Bend but is it just this guy's opinion or what?
Unless there's more about Days Gone in some other part of the video, that section is all about the AI and other behind-the-scenes stuff as well as some mechanics. So yeah, I have no idea how that video title correlates to what was discussed at all.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I do like motorcycles and baseball caps. I don't think I'm going to get to this on lunch, but I'm definitely going to play it.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'll be waiting anxiously for the Digital Foundry analyse, I will be extremely surprised if this runs well.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Is this just another "It's fun!" half-hearted compliment? Where you don't have anything in particular you want to say because you're struggling to think of any unique positives so you just say it's "fun"? Like what we see in reviews for bad blockbusters like Justice League or bad games like Dead Rising 4?

It's such a weird comment too, since the devs don't seem to be making a game that's "just fun". They have a focus on survival mechanics, which can be fun, but that's usually not their primary point.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Is this just another "It's fun!" half-hearted compliment? Where you don't have anything in particular you want to say because you're struggling to think of any unique positives so you just say it's "fun"? Like what we see in reviews for bad blockbusters like Justice League or bad games like Dead Rising 4?

It's such a weird comment too, since the devs don't seem to be making a game that's "just fun". They have a focus on survival mechanics, which can be fun, but that's usually not their primary point.

That's honestly how I hear it when i hear "its just fun". Or sometimes its used for a good game when someone can't articulate whats good about it.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Someone hasn't played Sekiro yet.

There are people who would call a masochistic core gaming loop like that fun. I consider playing Nioh on way of the strong with no armor and wooden weapons fun.

I havent played Sekiro all the way through yet(just an hour or so at a friends house), but it seems to emulate the same feelings as the souls games which i've beaten all of. What makes Sekiro different?

It seems like games like DMC on dante must die mode, bayonetta on the hardest difficulty and Ninja Gaiden black(or NG2) on ultra hard mode should be widely recognized for their appeal in regards to fun

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
That's honestly how I hear it when i hear "its just fun". Or sometimes its used for a good game when someone can't articulate whats good about it.

Yeah, like critics said the same thing about shitty games like Crackdown 3, various Dynasty Warriors games, Dead Rising 4, lots of grindy games, etc. It's not a flattering thing to read, imo. I doubt Days Gone will be as bad as any of those, obviously, but so far very little said from critics or the devs themselves has really stood out to me.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

It should be noted that the section where they talk about Days Gone is completely not about how the devs are aiming for fun above all and is all about the AI, how the AI works, and how other mechanics work. It's like whoever titled that video didn't even watch the video

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Its so odd to me that Unreal 4 engine does not support 2 wheel vehicles.

It should be noted that the section where they talk about Days Gone is completely not about how the devs are aiming for fun above all and is all about the AI, how the AI works, and how other mechanics work. It's like whoever titled that video didn't even watch the video
I guess it more of the fun they had because they talk about different topics on the game like the story and characters.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Its so odd to me that Unreal 4 engine does not support 2 wheel vehicles.

I guess it more of the fun they had because they talk about different topics on the game like the story and characters.
It's just really weird to title the video like that since it's an implication of paraphrasing the intent of the devs, as we see in the thread

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
The IGN headline does the interview no favors what so ever. It literally takes a single throw away comment and makes you think that's what the whole interview is about.

The commentator goes over some of the development techniques that he saw at a visit with Bend that he thinks have the potential to make the game interesting and other tidbits (horde management, modeling and AI, game spawn and data locations, how the bike was modelled).

Also talks about how he was reticent to like Deacon prior to attending the preview event last month, but playing the small amount of time that he had, he found the main character to be engaging (the interviewer had previously discussed this after the preview events). Obviously it's up to Bend to make the whole story engaging.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
It's just really weird to title the video like that since it's an implication of paraphrasing the intent of the devs, as we see in the thread
True .

"I think that's the thing that makes Days Gone unique," says John Garvin, Days Gone's Creative Director. "It's the fact that [a horde]'s not just sitting at the old sawmill; they will go into those buildings and hibernate during the day, but then they'll come out at night and go down to the watering hole and they'll migrate around. All 40 hordes in the open world do that." Some of the hordes have formed in areas that have more closed-off ecosystems, like the mass grave in the PAX gameplay demo, meaning they don't need to travel as far for food or water before returning to shelter during the day, but others may wander all across a region before finding what they're looking for.
"Something we wanted to do with the infestations is actually affect your gameplay loop of traveling through the world," says Bend's Lead Open World Designer Eric Jensen. This manifests in Deacon having to plan out his fast-travel routes once he unlocks them. If an area is too overrun with infected, be it a horde or an infestation zone, he won't be able to fast-travel through that zone and must instead find another way, either at the cost of expediency or extra fuel for his motorcycle. "It's kind of a staple in open world games," Jensen remarks, "but, you know, we wanted to put the Days Gone spin on it."

"[The Hordes] are living in this world the way that you would expect an animal to live and behave and migrate," adds Jeff Ross, the project's Game Director. "It leads to really cool, emergent moments where the player forgets that they're there when [they're] chasing a bounty or [they're] hunting, and then [they] comes across a horde and then... it's on."

This is pretty amazing.
According to Jeff, it's a series of minor tweaks to a small batch of baseline character models. "There are only eight unique models in the entire 500 creature horde," he confides, continuing, "We have eight meshes, and then we just play with their scale. So, they go from 0.9 to 1.1 [on our scaler]. It seems like a little, but that's a huge difference."

By varying those heights, even just by .3 degrees, they create a range of heights among the horde from 5'6" to 6'4". Those 10 inches create a lot of vertical difference when the group is motionless, and even more when they move. By changing a creature's height, they alter its gait, changing its movement speed. So a creature that gets assigned a value of 0.92 will move slower than one set to 1.04. Even if we were to just maintain three distinct heights - small, medium and large - when combined with the eight freaker meshes and 12 separate animation cycles, you get 864 possible combinations for a horde at any given moment. "They all look like they're related," Ross explains, "but they don't look like they're clones."
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04/08/days-gone-horde-making-of-bts

Last edited:

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
at this point I think it's fair to say that there has never been a game that had experienced this amount of hyperbolic criticism then that of RDR 2 on this forum. The gameplay is fine as it was for a lot of people