• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
I would love to see this engine used to make a totally 80s sword-and-sorcery type adventure RPG. There's something about that soft, warm lighting and the rugged landscapes that kind of reminds me of old 2nd edition D&D art, like Jeff Easley and Larry Elmore style:

14e10bd1134a86798781ff9ddafd9005.jpg

14d2907b34835b6235b5591b7d46501c.jpg

You should post this on the GG twitter page.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
There goes my blackout. I just can't wait any longer, they need to print those discs so I can break into Amazon's warehouses.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Has there been any word on what the skill trees are going to be like? I can guess there'll be at least stealth, ranged, melee and hacking trees at least. Really hoping for an elemental tree of some kind so I can feel like a Cata-Era Survival Hunter from WoW.

Was the first Horizon this hated on the forum?
Hated is a strong word. There was a lot of pushback against it for several reasons before it launched, at the old place anyway. It launched a week after BotW so a lot of people were comparing things that Zero Dawn wasn't trying to do to the core competencies of BotW. You also had platform fanboys tearing into it for some stupid reasons (pretty sure I remember someone saying that the setting was too stupid because robot dinosaurs can't be taken seriously or played straight). A few people complaining that Aloy wasn't hot enough. A few complaining that she was too hot for a woman in the post-apocalypse. Oh, and a few weeks before launch there was the argument that it was just a Far Cry clone.

When it came out it was decent. Wasn't perfect, probably even maybe slightly overrated by critics, but everything it set out to do it did fantastically (combat vs machines and the overarching lore of the game). This actually made things worse, because people who weren't interested in the game to begin with just sank their nails into the weaker parts of the game and ignored everything it did well.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Guerrilla said even if the games doesn't have multiple endings, the game will have choices that the player would had to make on a couple of occasions. Benjamin McCaw said "there will be very strong moral choices, which will have extremely powerful consequences." and some other things will change depending on the characters you choose to spend time with.
Thank you for this. Very re-assuring. I was worried that they moved backwards in that aspect. That was one of my biggest issues with the game so I'm looking forward to more nuance and depth to the choices.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Was the first Horizon this hated on the forum? LOL. It looks great and a marked improvement from the first one.

I still can't believe I'm going to be playing this and Elden Ring simultaneously.
Oh man, you missed some fun times. There was a poll on the old forum asking which game they think will be massive flop. Zero Dawn "won" easily. People were coming our of wood work to shit on Guerilla Games and how they have never made a good game (despite Killzone 2 being at 91 meta). There were all kinds of nonsense pre-release.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Even a person trained in free climbing can't climb everywhere (though she should be able to climb some places she couldn't for sure).
Of course it's also stupid that she can fight the robots at all. But what you do is not ruin suspension of disbelief even further by breaking how actual real life things work, but tricking your audience into thinking it almost works. Of course IRL Aloy would be just stomped by the robots - but there is also a reason why she isn't fighting them barehanded or jumps on them from the heights crushing them. Because then it would be too idiotic to ignore.
There is certain freeway in how we deal with imaginary things, like dragons or robotic dinos in this case. We've never encountered them IRL so we can almost imagine this stuff could work like this (unless it's made too dumb, which then runs this illusion). We've all met walls)) When I see characters in Genshin Impact climb perfectly sheer walls it just looks so clearly dumb. Not to mention is boring AF. Grapple hook is much easier to "swallow" for example. Or make Spider-man like character. But demanding that regular humans could get everywhere in a game is just weird to me. Even fantasy worlds have rules and when they are broken there should be some explanation for it.
We're not talking about irl Aloy. Because she doesn't exist. So many aspects of her already push the boundaries of believability. Let her climb.

JorSneezy

Oct 17, 2019
User Warned: Platform War Trolling
Not going to lie, even though I will be criticized, but I agree with the first post. I don't see any growth in this title, it looks like the exact more of the same of what they shipped in 2017. It's slightly concerning in my eyes.

I still expect PlayStation fans to show up and buy it. Not saying it'll be a commercial failure.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to lie, even though I will be criticized, but I agree with the first post. I don't see any growth in this title, it looks like the exact more of the same of what they shipped in 2017. It's slightly concerning in my eyes.

I still expect PlayStation fans to show up and buy it. Not saying it'll be a commercial failure.

This is some low effort bullshit trolling. How is this allowed here?

Horizon threads are miserable here on this forum. And then there are those who come in with bad faith arguments about umm but actually it might not be trolling to call a sequel with a very detailed list of improvements and changes as 'dlc'.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019

These types of posts are hilarious. They become even funnier upon a detailed analysis by the likes of DF.

Unrelated to your post: God, the worst thing about BotW is the "let us climb every little thing" shit that now perpetuates any game thread about a game involving climbing.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Was the first Horizon this hated on the forum? LOL. It looks great and a marked improvement from the first one.

I still can't believe I'm going to be playing this and Elden Ring simultaneously.
There a ton of skepticism with the first game if only GG's last game was KZ Shadowfall. And that game sucked. And the idea of a western developer making a MH game crossed with far cry and this super out there post post apocalyptic world was a huge risk.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Trilogies used to look massively different game to game. The jump in graphics between MGS1 > 2, or God of War 2 > 3 are seismic.

The settings would usually vary wildly between games, you won't mistake the jungles of snake eater for the off shore clean up facility of Sons of a liberty, can't really say the same for Horizon on that front.

Also the stories were a lot better at the time too. Sure God of War 2 was similar to the the first, only with a bigger budget, but the continuing story was excellent, same for MGS, so far I can't say I'm feeling any similar narrative hook to Forbidden West.
I can't believe this is where we're at with justifying how sequel-y a game is.

Metal Gear Solid was a PlayStation game. MGS2 was a PlayStation 2 game.
God of War II was a PlayStation 2 game. God of War III was a PlayStation 3 game.

Can we not try and use false equivalences to downplay games that still look cutting edge?

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Looks amazing, bounced off of the first game due to the Ubisoft-esque open world and some dialogue that made me think I was playing Fallout 4, hoping that this time around those things are better because if so the game could be an all timer.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Disappointing that R3 reveals climbable parts of the world, it's more handholding and I prefer the joy of exploration and discovery without that. Sure I could just not press R3 but the game will be designed around using it.

Everything else seems to be shaping up like a major improvement though.
Welcome to modern AAA game design. You don't even have to discover anything anymore, because the game does it for you…

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is some low effort bullshit trolling. How is this allowed here?

Horizon threads are miserable here on this forum. And then there are those who come in with bad faith arguments about umm but actually it might not be trolling to call a sequel with a very detailed list of improvements and changes as 'dlc'.
"Playstation fan"
A quick look at the post history will show this person true intentions

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Welcome to modern AAA game design. You don't even have to discover anything anymore, because the game does it for you…

Welcome to modern AAA game design, where accessibility is more common.

Just disable the button, bro.

Elog

Oct 21, 2020
This is one weird thread.

Looks fantastic and such a marked improvement in terms of sound and graphics compared to the first. If they can keep the main story line as amazing as in the first (one of the most well told storylines/ mysteries in any game) and improve side-quests (that were pure filler content in the first) this will be one fantastic game to play. Fingers crossed!

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So some people really downplay the graphics of all things in here? Golden. This will be the best looking around when it releases.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This new fashion of calling giant new games DLCs is beyond moronic. What do people expect, that new God of War will turn into 2D platformer just to be different, or that you wouldn't be able to recognize the characters? In the second part of the same story? Neither new sequels have to be for new gen, some games release new parts each year even.

And, sure, some games like W3 have very big DLCs, that could be their own games. What does it make smaller games then, less-than-DLC? There is no rhyme or reason to it.
Since I was one of the people saying that GoW:R at the moment (the key term that everyone conveniently forgets when memeing about this shrug) feels more like a DLC than a sequel, I think I need to elaborate on that here as well.

Like I said in the recent GoW thread, besides some minor new additions, thus far we haven't seen anything in GoW:R trailer that gives you that sequel hook from gameplay point of view. Not even something as simple as a new weapon hasn't been shown, which is the most basic addition when making a sequel to an action game. Does that mean we are not gonna get anything new in GoW:R come final release? No, ofc not. But does this justify the feeling GoW:R being too familiar to GoW 2018 which some people (including myself) got from that trailer? In my opinion, yes.

That said, idk why people are saying HFW looks like a DLC to HZD. I'm not even entirely sure if that was said as a meme or seriously, but unlike GoW:R, they've shown a lot of big new additions of HFW compared to the first game, that most definitely makes this feel like a full blown sequel. From improved melee combat to the ability to climb almost anything, new arrow types and weapons, new special moves, exploring underwater areas (including having combat encounters there), etc. It's not even close to the "feels like DLC" situation with GoW:R.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great and that discussion about the open world activities is everything I wanted to change from the original.

The game can't come out soon enough.

kolsonk

Jul 6, 2021
I played Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS5, and this looks like an improvement in every way. Can't wait to play this

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if reviewers are gonna dock 5-10% from the review scores because no 1-1 BotW climbing..
Pretty sure there will be a million comparisons. I think what they are doing for HFW works for HFW.
Not all games have to be the same.

BotW climbing in Horizon makes no sense, imo. I'm sure the game was made to be fast paced. Aloy's movement feels like a mix between Ghost of Tsushima and Sekiro. But to be honest, slow climbing is one of the most boring things in video games, and the more faster it is, the better. For me, every game should have "Blink" from Dishonored. Just point and teleport :0

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I would love to see this engine used to make a totally 80s sword-and-sorcery type adventure RPG. There's something about that soft, warm lighting and the rugged landscapes that kind of reminds me of old 2nd edition D&D art, like Jeff Easley and Larry Elmore style:

14e10bd1134a86798781ff9ddafd9005.jpg

14d2907b34835b6235b5591b7d46501c.jpg

Man, I really miss Might & Magic

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"This looks like DLC…"

Excuse me?

"Played with such power by Angela Bassett…"

Excuse me?!?!

plow

Oct 28, 2017

Would yu call BOTW2 a "DLC" with what they have shown?

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Good lord. I can't wait to play this. I adored the gameplay loop in HZD (replaying it right now, in fact), and this looks like it's improved upon it by a fair margin.

February is going to be a social/work/time management bloodbath.

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
This game looks great. I won't be picking up on the release day, but I for sure will sometime later this year.