• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chanceboudreaux

alt account
Banned
May 10, 2021
User warned: Antagonistic behavior towards another member
It looks a bit like DLC for the first game, tbh. I dunno. The machines look amazing, but I'm wary of whether the open world stuff will be worthwhile, or just more generic stuff, like in Zero Dawn. Those side missions were a big 'ol waste of time.

Dude, you suck... People like you are why the internet, and especially forums about games, are just terrible to read.

Do you have too much time or something? Is this all you have? If you don't like something, no problem, but don't make any incendiary comments. The arrogance you display with: "looks a bit like DLC tbh. I dunno" is just too ridiculous to be taken seriously.

I'm sure that looking at your comment history would be a good indication of what kind of person you are though. No idea why trolls aren't immediately banned into oblivion.

On topic: game looks amazing. February is gonna be a bit too much for my wallet though.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Is Elden Ring going to be full of people complaining about the lack of free climbing?

Or it that different because of reasons?

It's not a PS first party game, so it'll be fine.

In regard to the DLC comment, seems like a thoughtless sentence. I'm sure any devs reading comments like that about games they work so hard on must roll their eyes alllllll the way around.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Looks good, I just can't take anything Jonathan Dornbush says seriously. The IGN console watch series of vlogs is just too cringe worthy and his bias is just overwhelmingly baffling at times.

He's incredibly biased towards everything made by Sony and Ryan McCaffrey does the same when it comes to MS.

Is Elden Ring going to be full of people complaining about the lack of free climbing?

Elden Ring does not have climbing while FW does.

It's ok for people to expect free climbing in a game where THERE'S ACTUAL CLIMBING compared to a game where there isn't.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This level of NPCs in an RPG is insane! Cyberpunk was pretty impressive in this regard, as was the first Horizon, but this is another level!

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

I dont even know what's going on here, this is a massive upgrade
In playing Forbidden West, it was immediately apparent (and appreciable) just how much more of the world is scalable. Rather than just brief, sporadic sections with convenient handholds placed by the tribes, so much more of the rocky terrain is built to be climbed and explored in a volume much more akin to nsomething like the Assassin's Creed series. Not every single inch of every bit of terrain is meant to be climbed, but there's certainly a lot more at your disposal, and that is a HUGE relief. It makes exploration, whether to get to a destination or just to check out an area of intrigue, such a more natural, fulfilling experience.
www.ign.com

Horizon Forbidden West: The First Preview - IGN

After four hours of Horizon Forbidden West hands-on, Aloy's new adventure is clearly going to offer a lot more depth, freedom, and fun than its already great predecessor.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I would imagine that if the Elden Ring devs did a load of press stuff about free climbing and did a climbing focused State of Play presentation about the new climbing system then, yeah, people would talk about the free climbing.

If they don't mention climbing then I doubt it would come up for most people.

It's clearly one of the main gameplay improvements that they're proud about in HFW. We've had tons of threads about the new climbing stuff because the devs have waxed lyrical about it.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I really hate this take because of how blatantly not true it is.
They're technically not wrong, BOTW has a completely different form of free climbing than Assassin's Creed. BotW just attaches Link to a surface and "slides" him across that surface without the need to actually follow any specific points and place his hands and feet properly. Assassins creed makes use of climbing points and moves the character between each point while also placing the hands and feet where they need to go in order to make the movement happen. Even Assassin's Creed is limited if you compare it directly to BOTW free climbing, but that is the cost of making it look realistic.

Anyways, this game basically has a more controlled version of Assassin's Creed climbing. The game automatically generates climbing points where it makes sense based on the geometry of the models, while also being able to have hand-place climbing points and control what they want and don't want you to climb.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I love the look of this area.

rF1F2As.gif

Looks like Guerrilla got themselves some of that Sucker Punch tech

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie I'm kinda disappointed by no free climbing. It's the only way to go and should be standard in all open world games. It's hard to go back but as long as the rest of the game is good then it's all G.

I thought there was free climbing?

"And this [State of Play] is a showcase for that, to show you can now free climb anywhere in the world," de Jonge said in an interview with IGN, noting that the way Forbidden West allows for free climbing actually changed during development.​
"We hand annotated lots of the rocks, the cliffs, the mountain sides. But at some point, we changed that to an automatic system that just detects if there is a latch somewhere in the geometry," he said.​
"So now the entire world, everything is automatically annotated. That means you can climb anywhere," he continued, noting that this will be somewhat limited inside settlements, where players also shouldn't expect to fight, either. "There is more hand-placed, controlled exploration going on there. But outside of the settlements, in the open world, you can climb anywhere."​
"I think some people think that you have to [use the Focus] to be able to climb, but that's not true. This is just for light, for low light conditions, to be able to highlight them so you can actually see them better. But the player could climb anyway without having to ping."​

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
As a PC graphics wh*re it really looks nice but that wasn't issue in the first game either (both on consoles and on PC). Boring mission design, limited traversal, dull characters, poor side content were issues, but 4h is not enough to judge most of those things so i will wait for full reviews. But based on the praise first game got despite all of those issues I will wait for user impressions.

Sounds like their focus was improving mission design, adding more traversal options, improving side characters and adding better side quests so...sounds promising.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

The new water is so much better JFC.

So no climbing is better than nearly free climbing?
Elden Ring quite literally doesn't have climbing so why is living rent free in your head when it's not actually relevant to this game? Bringing up Elden Ring isn't a gotcha. People are gonna have some thoughts about the climbing mechanics of a game where one of the very first things they did to advertise said game was talk about the new climbing system.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Just watched the video and it really feels like this is an Uncharted 2 type of evolution, everything looks and sounds phenomenal. The only remaining mistery is the story which honestly is the single aspect most difficult to top, I'm sure the storytelling will be better but what they actually have to tell is gonna be hard for it to be more interesting than the first one.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Elden Ring quite literally doesn't have climbing so why is living rent free in your head when it's not actually relevant to this game? Bringing up Elden Ring isn't a gotcha. People are gonna have some thoughts about the climbing mechanics of a game where one of the very first things they did to advertise said game was talk about the new climbing system.

It's the first time i've ever mentioned Elden Ring, so much about living "rent free" in my head. I don't care really, i find it quite amusing how his this a point that needs a 4 page discussion already, while the other Open world game does not even provide the simplest form of climbing.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
Disappointing that R3 reveals climbable parts of the world, it's more handholding and I prefer the joy of exploration and discovery without that. Sure I could just not press R3 but the game will be designed around using it.

Everything else seems to be shaping up like a major improvement though.

It's instead just painting it yellow like zero dawn and since they have alot more hand holds and climbing places in this I think it would be very distracting to just have the yellow paint or bird poop everywhere.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I can never quite understand the complaints about the first game's side content either tbh. Nil, Petra, Vanasha, and Talanah are fan favorite characters and all of the quests surrounding them are optional. I remember a fair number of other sidequests besides those that were good as well. The story you piece together from finding all the vantages was emotionally kind of devastating and one of my favorite parts of the whole game. I don't remember feeling like there was a whole lot of meaningless filler.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's the first time i've ever mentioned Elden Ring, so much about living "rent free" in my head. I don't care really, i find it quite amusing how his this a point that needs a 4 page discussion already, while the other Open world game does not even provide the simplest form of climbing.
Gee I wonder why the climbing system in Horizon is constantly brought up in discussions about Horizon.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

this was a "problem" people had w/ god of war as well before it came out. some people love criticizing games (or certain games mechanics) they haven't played

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Must be going gold shortly I imagine, the marketing campaign is full-steam ahead. Shit looks good, dense as fuck. Love the art-direction of this world.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
Only just beat zero dawn this last week after trying it years ago and getting bored in the mid game story lull really enjoyed it alot more and am very excited for this.
funny enough I stopped on the mission just before you climb that faro skyscraper and learn about Ted faro etc I think if I have made it that far first time it would have hooked me then.

I didn't adore the combat and everything outside of the main story quest wise was shit.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like every page has at least one "sweet Jesus" or "good Lawd" post 🤣 This game is stunning though.

Plum

May 31, 2018
this was a "problem" people had w/ god of war as well before it came out. some people love criticizing games (or certain games mechanics) they haven't played
I mean GoW's climbing was literally just "press up to hide loading screen." It wasn't exactly compelling gameplay that you needed to "play the game," to find out about.

Horizon's could be different, yeah, but that doesn't make GoW's climbing good.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Looking really great, especially love how much more verticality is in the world itself.