• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This didn't need a re-review. This needed a "why we gave a game that was fundamentally broken for years a 9/10 in the first place"

Of course the game is hitting top tier quality levels now, but man, I will never understand why anyone felt it was an almost perfect game at launch.

I mean there's a segment in the written review for that

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean there's a segment in the written review for that

As I mentioned in a later post

IGN mentioned that the multiplayer was broken and STILL gave the game a 9/10.

Like, how does that scoring even work? Multiplayer is equally important if not more than the singleplayer.

Other sites did things similar, so it's not frustration soley geared towards them.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game was reviewed in a controlled dev environment at a review event by IGN if I remember correctly. The rest of us got our units sent to the offices or home to play and they even told us before launch that we would not be able to play the full multiplayer of all the games aside from the few playtests done with other reviewers that were organized.

And it turns out that reason that happened was because the multiplayer portion of the collection was completely broken.

IGN mentioned that the multiplayer was broken and STILL gave the game a 9/10.

Like, how does that scoring even work? Multiplayer is equally important if not more than the singleplayer.

The issues were that because of the size of the game not all of the content was on disc before launch, hence why there was a big day one update to download a big chunck of the multiplayer content. Nobody really suspected the games matchmaking was broken until after that update as it was assumed matchmaking times were initially slow because the game wasn't out to the public at the time.

Apr 21, 2018
If the game had launched in this state, I would have bought an Xbox.

Now I'm not too sure what to do. Wait for Xbox Series X and pay a truckload of money, or simply buy an Xbox One S for cheaper and catch up on missed games and jump in backwards compatible GamePass.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This didn't need a re-review. This needed a "why we gave a game that was fundamentally broken for years a 9/10 in the first place"

Of course the game is hitting top tier quality levels now, but man, I will never understand why anyone felt it was an almost perfect game at launch.
"Fundamentally broken for years" is wildly inaccurate.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
"Fundamentally broken for years" is wildly inaccurate.
Is it? I bought this game at launch and it had a ton of problems with multiplayer and even as recently a 2 years ago I would still have huge issues getting into custom games and disconnecting constantly. I've played matchmaking recently and it definitely solid now but let's not pretend that things weren't broken for years.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's finally the dream package that was advertised 5 years ago

But it literally took YEARS for them to get the MP to a somewhat playable state, so good on them for fixing it but I'm not going to praise them for fixing their shit

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

If they'd given the game a bad review back then like you wished they had, it would be even more deserving of a re-review now.

I'm not sure why you're upset about this, tbh.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they kept working at it but it should have never been released in the state it was. Good that they turned it around though.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it? I bought this game at launch and it had a ton of problems with multiplayer and even as recently a 2 years ago I would still have huge issues getting into custom games and disconnecting constantly. I've played matchmaking recently and it definitely solid now but let's not pretend that things weren't broken for years.
"Fundamentally broken" -- think about what that actually means. How often were your issues? Were you able to play the game at all? What % of the game worked for you? etc.

Even if the answer to those questions for you personally was "100% of the time the game didn't work for me," that's still not what most people were experiencing after early 2014, some months after launch.
It absolutely is not. They did not resolve multiplayer issues for years.
It still had some issues, yes, and for some people more than others, but your choice of wording is extremely poor.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you make it seem like the game was literally unplayable for years lol, when most of the serious issues were resolved early into 2014, at least for what seems like most people.

How do I know this? Because the Halo community at large would not have accepted otherwise. You guys are underestimating how r e l e n t l e s s this community is.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
"Fundamentally broken" -- think about what that actually means. How often were your issues? Were you able to play the game at all? What % of the game worked for you? etc.

Even if the answer to those questions for you personally was "100% of the time the game didn't work for me," that's still not what most people were experiencing after early 2014, some months after launch.

It still had some issues, yes, and for some people more than others, but your choice of wording is extremely poor.
So I guess me and my group of friends must have been an isolated case then? C'mon now dawg, the game was broken, you don't need to defend it just is what it is. If everything was fine then 343i would have made such a significant effort to make it right and do all these test flight programs and what not.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I guess it is fair that some games get re-reviews because of new content/new features/fixed bugs, but it is also fair to complain about the state at launch.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm concerned the MCC is still broken as long as AR starts still exist.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess me and my group of friends must have been an isolated case then? C'mon now dawg, the game was broken, you don't need to defend it just is what it is. If everything was fine then 343i would have made such a significant effort to make it right and do all these test flight programs and what not.
6f2caa5b938059dee48b7263edbda1af.png

And yes they would have because Halo is Microsoft's flagship property and they were not going to let people continue flinging turds at the franchise whenever a new game is released.

Think about it.. If TMCC was still in its launch state, you think they could release a new Halo game without having most of the community giving them shit? At least now most people are accepting of what happened and are able to move on because of what the collection offers.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Score is well deserved. Probably the best game collection ever made at this point.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Some of you make it seem like the game was literally unplayable for years lol, when most of the serious issues were resolved early into 2014, at least for what seems like most people.

How do I know this? Because the Halo community at large would not have accepted otherwise. You guys are underestimating how r e l e n t l e s s this community is.
They didn't, and MCC did continue to have serious bugs and issues relating to mp matchmaking and campaign progress for a long time - well over a year after release.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I've owned a copy of this for years and don't even have a One (waiting for the right price). Love me some Halo, glad to hear it's finally gotten the love it deserved!

That said, this bit in the review got me:
"It shouldn't need saying but Halo's multiplayer dominated two generations of consoles for a reason."
Not it didn't. People need to realize Halo isn't nearly as popular outside NA and the UK. Call of duty dominated the 7th gen and absolutely crushed Halo in comparison, where is this coming
Let's not even start with 6th gen stuff, Xbox had no chance against the PS2...

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil

And yes they would have because Halo is Microsoft's flagship property and they were not going to let people continue flinging turds at the franchise whenever a new game is released.

Think about it.. If TMCC was still in its launch state, you think they could release a new Halo game without having most of the community giving them shit? At least now most people are accepting of what happened and are able to move on because of what the collection offers.
This is wishful thinking

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, link sensationalist site Kotaku

Ah yes, Kotaku, the sensationalist site that doesn't report on anything accurate 98% of the time. Also authored by Jason, the reporter whose track record could only be described as "never really accurate, but always attention grabbing." /s

100 days is not even a third of a year lol.
after early 2014, some months after launch.

Title says 100+, article says four months, I'd classify that as some.

I can come back to this discussion a little later with more links if you'd like, just to prove my point, if you want. Or you could just google keywords in a specific time frame and read through all of the posts on other forums that directly talk about how the game was pretty much unplayable from a multiplayer standpoint.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017

No need to condescending funk. I remember you back from HaloGAF days and you can try it defend the MCC but it took years to get into an even semi-working state without constant disconnects and errors. You seem to be the only person denying this when we were all there. Hell, I remember even when we did the HaloGAF play dates when we couldn't even start a game because someone in the party would have the "connect issue".

This video is from 2017 and still had that same issue.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Good on 343i and MS giving them time to make it all work.
Only took them 5 years to port some old ass games and we only have Reach on PC and it's still buggy.

Re-reviewing games in general is problematic. Why re-review this but not all the other games that deserve it as well? There are a lot of examples this day and age where the release was borked but the games got way better later.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't. It was. I was there, as an early (and burned) Xbox One adopter. I don't know that you were, though.
This is wishful thinking
Ah yes, Kotaku, the sensationalist site that doesn't report on anything accurate 98% of the time. Also authored by Jason, the reporter whose track record could only be described as "never really accurate, but always attention grabbing." /s

Title says 100+, article says four months, I'd classify that as some.

I can come back to this discussion a little later with more links if you'd like, just to prove my point, if you want. Or you could just google keywords in a specific time frame and read through all of the posts on other forums that directly talk about how the game was pretty much unplayable from a multiplayer standpoint.
I really don't think you guys understand what "fundamentally broken for years" means, but I'm moving past this discussion.

Sorry that the game is literally unplayable for you guys and has been that way for years.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No need to condescending funk.
My bad lol, didn't mean to look like a jerk there with that image. We go back, so I was just doing that in jest <3

I remember you back from HaloGAF days and you can try it defend the MCC but it took years to get into an even semi-working state without constant disconnects and errors. You seem to be the only person denying this when we were all there.
I'm not denying the issues. I'm just arguing how "fundamentally broken for years" means that the game is literally unplayable, which was not the case for most people.

Answer this -- You, as a long time Halo fan who has been an active participant in Halo communities, do you really think the community at large would have let TMCC go if it was actually in an unplayable state for years?

Hell no.
People are still arguing about sprint for god sake lol.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think you guys understand what "fundamentally broken for years" means, but I'm moving past this discussion.

The multiplayer aspect of Halo is a fundamental one.

The multiplayer aspect of Halo was broken for years.

There's nothing wildly inaccurate about either of those statements. I understand exactly what I wrote. You can look this up to verify for yourself, but given that you wrote off a Kotaku article that disputed your claim that most people did not experience these issues some months after launch, I do not think you're interested in having a discussion.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
I echo Hobbes sentiment here. MCC was fundamentally broken for years. Review sites like IGN at the time published glowing reviews under the assumption that the multiplayer would be fixed quickly, as was the norm then and now, and that the campaign itself is worth it. But I personally and just about everyone else could not get into a consistent multiplayer match for years and kept losing my campaign progress every time I tried to go back to it.

MCC was released on Nov. 11, 2014, in Jan 2017, 343 community manager Brian Jarrard said this in part on Reddit:

As I've stated before, there are a lot of legitimate issues and while it's unfortunate that some people have been driven to such extreme measures of expressing their dissatisfaction it doesn't mean the game isn't without its problems. One thing you and others have genuinely helped with is re-surfacing some key recurring, big ticket issues that at least for me (someone relatively new) has been very helpful and getting up to speed and trying to have internal conversations across the team. I wish I had definitive info for you but right now the future of MCC is still unknown but I wouldn't say the ship has totally sailed yet.

A little over two years after the game's launch, 343 still acknowledged fundamental issues with the game. Things didn't start to look better until a major patch was released went MCC launched into Game Pass in Sept. 2018, about four years after the game's initial release.

So yes, the game was fundamentally broken for years, hurt Halo's reputation at the time and burned many outlets for publishing incomplete reviews. Yes, it's great now and it's making a ton of people happy (now on PC). But let's not forget the specifics of what got us here in the first place.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Halo 1 and 2 still run like ass even on the X. More work to be done. Reach was a lot better but still.....

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 1 and 2 still run like ass even on the X. More work to be done. Reach was a lot better but still.....

Can you elaborate? 1&2 were the only games I completed on my day 1 xb1 and performance wise they were good to my recollection. I know there was issues with game saves, sounds, etc but graphically those games ran smooth for me

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Can you elaborate? 1&2 were the only games I completed on my day 1 xb1 and performance wise they were good to my recollection. I know there was issues with game saves, sounds, etc but graphically those games ran smooth for me

Certain areas of levels on Halo CE:A drop down to what feels like 30fps, the area where you teleport to the 'Into the belly of the beast' level being a stand out. Interior levels are better but even then choppiness is still there. Halo 2 looks great but the framerate is so up and down.

Oct 30, 2017
I've had the collection now for a couple of years. I've certainly gotten my money's worth since I paid 6 bucks for it when it was in the shitter.

Can't stand Halo 3 MP though.

Nov 8, 2017
Just finished playing Reach on PC - thought this was a pipe dream and that I'd need to hang onto my 360 forever to have access to these masterpieces (or, blech, buy an Xbone). Really stoked for the other games (especially the updates CE on PC).

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Certain areas of levels on Halo CE:A drop down to what feels like 30fps, the area where you teleport to the 'Into the belly of the beast' level being a stand out. Interior levels are better but even then choppiness is still there. Halo 2 looks great but the framerate is so up and down.

I never noticed any of these issues. If you have you should be notifying 343i as they have been pro active on fixing these kinds of issues.

Only took them 5 years to port some old ass games and we only have Reach on PC and it's still buggy.

Some old ass games, lmao.

Try 5 to 7 difirent games, 11 to 13 game engines, all with their own set of issues and net codes.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
it's a real technical marvel; and a feather in their cap

glad it's been getting the recognition it deserves