• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I mean, GT5 released 4 years after the PS3, and GTSport 4 years after the PS4. (GT6 was crossplat)

I assume maybe 2023?

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
giphy.gif

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Oh, ResetEra.

*game gets delayed out of 2021*
"So it's a 2024 title now, right?"
I mean...this is Gran Turismo. GT4 and Sport both received year long delays. GT5 and GT PSP (remember when that was Gran Turismo 4 Mobile?) were both delayed for 5 years.
Gran Turismo getting delays, potentially long ones, isn't unusual. Plus, COVID could through a monkey wrench into development.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
More shocked people believed GT7 was coming this year.

Yeah, for alot of their work they actually have to do quite a bit of traveling to locations themselves in order to build assets at least to whatever standard Polyphony Digital wants for its next game (knowing them probably as high as possible) so it definitely doesn't surprise me when they've had roughly a year where they simply couldn't do that.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I mean...this is Gran Turismo. GT4 and Sport both received year long delays. GT5 and GT PSP (remember when that was Gran Turismo 4 Mobile?) were both delayed for 5 years.
Gran Turismo getting delays, potentially long ones, isn't unusual. Plus, COVID could through a monkey wrench into development.

We don't know how long GT7 has been in development. Could have been working on it while supporting Sport, and they've improved their development pipeline so it shouldn't take as long as previous titles.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, GT5 released 4 years after the PS3, and GTSport 4 years after the PS4. (GT6 was crossplat)

I assume maybe 2023?

Should look at the development timeframe between releases rather than the time of release after a console launch.

GT5 was 6 years after GT4, where they released GTPSP as well as Tourist Trophy in between. They spent a lot of time on GT5 because of ps3 hurdles.
GT6 was 3 years after GT5. GTSport was 4 years after GT6. In 2021 GT7 would have been 4 years after GTSport, in 2022 it would be 5 years after GTSport.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Interesting how early games are being shifted to next year. I'd expect them to try to hit a date in the second half of the year first.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Kaz got too many slow down penalties playing GT Sport and thought they were referring to the development of GT7.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
COVID is of course to blame for this delay, but the game was first announced as a "launch window title". And it was not a year ago.
Game was never a launch window title, classic lies from those game companies... I'm tired of this.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
COVID is of course to blame for this delay, but the game was first announced as a "launch window title". And it was not a year ago.
Game was never a launch window title, classic lies from those game companies... I'm tired of this.
Yes, the idea of a Full GT7 experience coming soon gets people excited and everybody wants a PS5 ASAP. The Fear of missing out.

Sony has some shady things in their communication.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the idea of a Full GT7 experience coming soon gets people excited and everybody wants a PS5 ASAP. The Fear of missing out.

Sony has some shady things in their communication.

I'm a guy who DID get their PS5 primarily for GT7, and even I don't believe this. I should feel conned and angry if your post is anything to go by.

You'd think being as open and honest as they have been regarding the realities of development during COVID, as well as how early they've made this decision, would curb a lot of this conspiracy level nonsense.

Oct 27, 2017
No surprise, GT is always delayed it's practically a running gag. But it's a game that's much more sensitive to production issues caused by covid. They have to travel around the world to record sound and scan race cars and rare collections. And I think the real world circuits are also scanned?

Forza does the same, I can see that being delayed too.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think it's going to be delayed into late 2022, even. Graphics-wise it didn't look like a massive departure from GT Sport. Not in terms of assets that need remaking, anyway, even if the end result can look significantly better thanks to longer draw distances, better anisotropic filtering and shadow quality and the addition of ray tracing (which also does not require remaking assets). I don't think this is going to be another classic "delayed for years" Gran Turismo situation.

:DDD

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
not too shocking to hear a GT has been delayed, in fact with Covid i was pretty positive it would be a while before launching

it's one of the few racers im interested in because of the dualsense controller

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
This.

I'm honestly skeptical of it being out in 2022, frankly. It took the better part of 5/6 years or so last gen for GTSport.

GT Sport arrived before the PS4 was 4 years old.

I think it'll make 2022. That's the 25th anniversary of the series, which I'm sure they'll make a huge deal of. And delays are costly. I think they'll make it out by year-end, even if they have to release in December, like the original (and like GT6). After all, we don't know that they aren't internally targeting Q1 or Q2 2022 at this point, though I'd personally be a little surprised to see it actually release that soon.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
GT Sport arrived before the PS4 was 4 years old.
It did, but it was in a terrible state. It took 2 extra years to be feature complete and honestly I don't think PD/Sony wants to deal with the same bad PR once again.
2 years of constant updates brought GT Sport to a great level but hopefully GT7 will be complete on release day, and that's why I'm not convinced it's out next year.

FZed

Dec 30, 2019
I can't think of a GT that haven't been postponed (covid or not)...
As some others said, it's probably the year of the backlog (fine by me :))

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most of us expected this, right?

Yeah, that was one of the weirdest decisions in gaming industry to publish a big racing game (a genre that really depends on technology and hardware) exclusively for an old generation console, 2 weeks after arriving the new generation.
I bet had Sony known Driveclub would be delayed for two years they would've got GT6 as a cross platform game. Driveclub was supposed to be a PS4 launch game (LOL) and they didn't want GT6 on PS4 to kill Driveclub. The irony is Sony went and killed Driveclub plus the studio anyways and we ALL lost.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I bet had Sony known Driveclub would be delayed for two years they would've got GT6 as a cross platform game. Driveclub was supposed to be a PS4 launch game (LOL) and they didn't want GT6 on PS4 to kill Driveclub. The irony is Sony went and killed Driveclub plus the studio anyways and we ALL lost.
Driveclub was delayed one year and I don't know how 'we all lose' when we got both games, plus some incredible post launch support for DC, plus GT sport (which is a great game) a few years later. But whatever

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Driveclub was delayed one year and I don't know how 'we all lose' when we got both games, plus some incredible post launch support for DC, plus GT sport (which is a great game) a few years later. But whatever
I am saying we all lost because GT6 never came to PS4 and we had to wait four years for a GT game on it and Driveclub was delayed but ended up being a great game but the studio was shut down by Sony and we will never get a follow up. It would've been so much nicer if Sony didn't put pressure on Driveclub by announcing it for launch when they could've let it get the time it needed and instead got GT6 as a cross gen game. I really never understood Sony's strategy behind the handling of that whole situation.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know how long GT7 has been in development. Could have been working on it while supporting Sport, and they've improved their development pipeline so it shouldn't take as long as previous titles.
The plan was for Sport assets to be so good that they could be used again in GT7, not to mention a lot of the framework in general should already be there.

Problem is that PD literally had that same plan before on GT7 and ended up having to re-model all the cars anyways. So who knows how much content they will scrap and redo.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I'm old enough to remember that GT5 "premium" cars were modeled to be "future proof." Covid without a doubt is a hinderance to any development but this game was 2022 at earliest well before covid.

GT7 will aim for holiday 2022, miss it and come out in February 2023. It will be the same formula as classic GT games with the husk of an online system of GTS bolted on for the online component. It will launch with a disappointing tally of tracks and cars but promise ongoing free updates as well as paid DLC. The AI will still be the worst in class and the single player campaign will remain largely a hot lapping grind. I will once again be wildly disappointed in the lack of progress since the last GT game. It will have 6,000 new official licenses and endorsements that contribute nothing to gameplay. All that said, I will sink 300+ hours into it and likely platinum it. Ahhh the endless cycle of being a lifelong GT fan. GT8 will finally get it right though!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Most of us expected this, right?

Yeah, that was one of the weirdest decisions in gaming industry to publish a big racing game (a genre that really depends on technology and hardware) exclusively for an old generation console, 2 weeks after arriving the new generation.

It was the reason I never played it. It was maddening. At the time I couldn't afford to keep the PS3 and I sold it well in advance. Same for God of War Ascension. Really strange decisions were made back then. I guess porting PS3 games to PS4 isn't exactly an easy task but still.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The plan was for Sport assets to be so good that they could be used again in GT7, not to mention a lot of the framework in general should already be there.

Problem is that PD literally had that same plan before on GT7 and ended up having to re-model all the cars anyways. So who knows how much content they will scrap and redo.
We'll see how they deal with the cars this time, however track detail most definitely need a rework and the GT7 trailer already showed a leap in foliage and track detail even though the track isn't part of GTS. GTS was overall the best looking racing simulator last gen, especially due to its stunning lightning. But track detail wasn't at the absolute best of the best imo. It looked still very good, don't get me wrong.