• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect GT7 to be delayed so far given it was aiming for first half this year (at least initially). I'm fully expecting God of War to be delayed to 2022 though.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When is a Gran Turismo game ever on time lol.

Oct 25, 2017
With how GT development has gone over the past decade, I can't say this is surprising. Even without COVID, I don't think I would have felt good about this launching in 2021

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad I'm used to Gran Turismo delays.

But yeah this is probably going to happen to a lot of games this year, especially those slated for the second half of 2021.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Lol this thing was getting delayed without covid. Grand Turismo always takes forever to come out. Anytime I see a Grand Turismo game I just expect it to be delayed initially by default even if I really want to play them.

Aiii

ä½•ć“ć‚Œ
Oct 24, 2017
It won't be out in 2022 either. Though they might release a GT7 Prologue type of deal then, to tide things over for the 2024 release date.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Could it be that the audio design and recording real cars and the design of the cars is the reason for the delay. I would guess this part would be a bit harder during covid.

May 5, 2018
Pretend to be shocked. Horizon 2, Gow Ragnarok...
I was thinking the same thing. Not shocked by the delay of GT7 and those 2 above mentioned games should follow suit. I always thought Ragnarok was gonna be a 2022 game at the earliest and Horizon 2 could be 2021 but I doubt it now.

First Party Sony in 2021 will be Destruction All Stars, Ratchet, Returnal and maybe a few more surprises down the line.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Less surprised by this after Sumo said that the hardest part of developing Sackboy from home was the online play. GT's online mode is now super important to it, so it's critical that they get it right from day 1.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
If the virus never even happened, I'd put money on GT and the new God of War not shipping this year.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Japan's fight with Covid peaked much later than some other companies. But it probably exacerbated Polyphony Digital's already poor management. So I only half believe them.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I think Gran Turismo's development also requires more going out into the world than other games. Need to go scan cars, tracks, record sounds and the like. Sad but understandable. Hopefully something will come this year that I'll want for the PS5.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

Totally unexpected turn of events!

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Japan's fight with Covid peaked much later than some other companies. But it probably exacerbated Polyphony Digital's already poor management. So I only half believe them.

Unless I'm mistaken, a great deal of production is now outsourced to India, so when you have teams that have to isolate while working on a game that requires real world references, especially on an audio front where Gran Turismo has particularly lacked compared to competitors, it makes perfect sense COVID impacted development. This is why I think 2021 will be a year where annualized racing games will be the only major new releases. F1, MotoGP, WRC, NASCAR, and Dakar are the only surefire releases this year. There's very little that's "standardized" in a Gran Turismo game, as there's no promise of particular cars or tracks compared to the other titles that focus on a specific calendar of racing events.

Unless you're into yearly sports games, this year is a backlog year. Maybe a PS5 specific port of Assetto Corsa Competizione as the only game that isn't a series released every single year. Forza ain't making this year for much of the same reasons GT hasn't.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I never thought it was hitting 2021 regardless of what they said and regardless of the ongoing pandemic. Nor GoW for matter.

GT7 is going to be great though, given it's going back to its roots and moving away from the Sport model.

Linkie3

Feb 8, 2019
I'm seriously thinking about selling my PS5 after Kena comes out (it is the only PlayStation game that i'm interested in that still is coming out this year). It doesn't make sense for me to let a 500 euro console collect dust for most of it's first year.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never saw anything to indicate it was likely to release before 2022.

But, as expected, this is gonna be a very bad year for games meeting any expected release windows.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
No surprise, GT is always delayed it's practically a running gag. But it's a game that's much more sensitive to production issues caused by covid. They have to travel around the world to record sound and scan race cars and rare collections. And I think the real world circuits are also scanned?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Decision to cancel my PS5 pre-order absolutely justified. Call me when next gen starts.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I never expected it to release this year to begin with. Or God of War for that matter.

Decision to cancel my PS5 pre-order absolutely justified. Call me when next gen starts.
It's almost always a good idea to not buy consoles day 1. The first year or two can often be pretty dire.