• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Keypoints:

- 2 to 3 hours long
- Features a vast array of different gameplay mechanics, artstyles, characters, etc.
- Mm's most "mature" story to date
- Not remixable at launch, but you can find collectables to unlock the characters, music and other stuff to use in your Dreams.

Beisdes the length, this sounds perfect. Can't wait for the final release.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Length isn't the most ideal but considering that Dreams is more focused on the community creation aspect then even LBP I can't say it's entirely shocking.

Still, will play the campaign at launch.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Looks lovely. And made me realise that I've played some of this before! Played the little robot/electricity stage at EGX a couple of years ago.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not remixable sucks, I really wanted to see how they did everything and learn from it.
Also raises questions as to if this was really made with the tools provided.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
This is not the only single player campaign afaik. There are 3 I believe.
Will they all be around they same amount of time? Can we expect all three on the 14th or do they plan a more episodic release schedule?
Yes, it's a single campaign anyway. But it has three different stories in it.

Its one overall story, that is composed of three different types of gameplay and scenarios. Its all related to Art's dream. The whole thing should be around 2-3h

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Geez, I was hoping for a longer story mode than 2-3 hours. LBP 1 and 2 had single player modes more robust than that.

As an aside, when do the reviews drop? Anyone know?

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
It's not LBP, the game is not going to be sold for its single player campaign i mean.. This is different, it's going to be sold as a tool for now and probably many things created in it will be distributed outside of it in the long run.

Dec 12, 2019
7 years in development and only 2-3 hour story?

I understand the ambition and scope of the project, but... come on!

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
I was mostly looking forward to this for the campaign because I know I won't be investing much time creating anything. The campaigns were so fun in LBP 1 & 2. I'll be passing with a campaign that short. Bummer.

Oct 27, 2017
3 hours is kind of rough, I mean I understand it's technically an infinite content style game but there's clearly still a definite gap in quality between what I just saw from Mm and what's out there on the dreamiverse. I hope it's enough to draw in enough players that creators spending 100's of hours making things can atleast get some eyeballs on their stuff. That being said 3 hour campaigns generally don't get reviewed all that well and I'm afraid a lot of people will be like that's it?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2-3 hour campaign? Man, what have they been doing for the past 5 years? It reflects kinda poorly on the Dreams Creation editor if it took so long to create such a brief product.

The IGN narrator used the phrase "streets ahead".

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Cool! I dunno guys, I just want to get my hands on this and finally try out creating stuff and maybe eventually build something I can be proud of. I missed the early access. Excited to try this out!

Edit: It's obvious that most of the time spent on the game must be for tools instead of the 2-3 hour single player content. People acting here like they spent 7 years creating a 2-3 hour game. Sure they could have done more but the single player wasn't their end goal in the first place.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
2-3 hour campaign? Man, what have they been doing for the past 5 years? It reflects kinda poorly on the Dreams Creation editor if it took so long to create such a brief product.

The IGN narrator used the phrase "streets ahead".

I mean... They were spending 5 years making and optimizing the creation editor. Not just the campaign.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Much of the guys complaining are the same that could be 30 hours campaign and still are not going to buy the game.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It reflects kinda poorly on the Dreams Creation editor if it took so long to create such a brief product

..because it's the campaign that took this long?
They've literally developet an entire engine made for creating pretty much anything from scratch. That's what's taken years, not their little campaign that comes with it.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Length is kinda short, but I imagine with the tools being much closer to "done" that the team is ready to jump in head first and make some games in there. Post-launch support will likely be incredible, with "official" creations popping up sporadically in between all the community ones

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There'll be other Dreams made by the Mm team within the game. It would be a waste of creativity to have them all working on a single 9 hour dream.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... They were spending 5 years making and optimizing the creation editor. Not just the campaign.
They've literally developet an entire engine made for creating pretty much anything from scratch. That's what's taken years, not their little campaign that comes with it.
The campaign is kinda what was supposed to help sell people on the game itself. But if it was going to be so brief and insubstantial, it seems like they might as well have not bothered with a campaign at all. 2-3 hours is not going to get anyone off the fence, even though the art and design look pretty cool and imaginative.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Insane to me that the campaign is only 2-3 hours. That's not long enough for a game in development for the entire PS4's existence. I would expect at minimum double that length.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The campaign is kinda what was supposed to help sell people on the game itself. But if it was going to be so brief and insubstantial, it seems like they might as well have not bothered with a campaign at all. 2-3 hours is not going to get anyone off the fence, even though the art and design look pretty cool and imaginative.

Nah, I was on the fence before but now I'm in. 2-3 hours is the perfect length for me. I want a taste of what's possible with the creation tools, not a 10 hour campaign. I'm more interested in seeing what crazy things other creators make in Dreams.

Oct 25, 2017
Campaign being 3 hours was known for like two years now. No way ppl was ever on the fence knowing full well they were making it clear the campaign was to show you what's possible in dreams

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Insane to me that the campaign is only 2-3 hours. That's not long enough for a game in development for the entire PS4's existence. I would expect at minimum double that length.

It's one dream, most likely the longest dream by Mm, but I'd be surprised if they released a game called "Dreams" with literally one dream on the disc.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
The campaign is to show potential creators what they can do and achieve and build upon. Length is short coz it serves a specific purpose. It wants players to get a feel of the variety of stuff that is possible. Creating and playing others' creations is the selling point of this game.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
A bit of a shame. I'm no creator so with that short a campaign, I'll just wait until the summer to see what the community has done with it.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I played through the Astro Bug section at PAX last year and it was fantastic. Definitely wanted to play more of it.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Looks great, but I was thinking it would be the same length as the LBP games they released.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Campaign being 3 hours was known for like two years now. No way ppl was ever on the fence knowing full well they were making it clear the campaign was to show you what's possible in dreams
Up until now I was under the impression that the game had 3 separate campaigns. But now it's basically 3 gametypes/artstyles cobbled into one single campaign, and that campaign is 2-3 hours.

Nah, I was on the fence before but now I'm in. 2-3 hours is the perfect length for me. I want a taste of what's possible with the creation tools, not a 10 hour campaign. I'm more interested in seeing what crazy things other creators make in Dreams.
If all you wanted was the creation tools then you might as well have bought it 9-10 months ago when it was only $30. Which is kind of what I'm saying. People who only wanted this to make games or play user-created games are already on-board. The campaign was ostensibly meant to help sell to a wider audience in the same way Sackboy helped sell LBP.

Oct 30, 2017
I doubt their artists and level designers worked on the engine code and tools.

I think it's a legitimate question to ask what a big part of the Media Molecule team has worked on in the last few years if the singleplayer campaign is super short.

Maybe art packs/themes?

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If all you wanted was the creation tools then you might as well have bought it 9-10 months ago when it was only $30. Which is kind of what I'm saying. People who only wanted this to make games or play user-created games are already on-board. The campaign was ostensibly meant to help sell to a wider audience in the same way Sackboy helped sell LBP.

I'm not really into early access or betas. My gaming time is very limited. So I'm fine just waiting for the final product. A 2-3 hour campaign to show me what the tools are capable is perfect for me, as I said earlier. Also, seeing the art style and tone of the campaign, that's not a campaign that would appeal to the casual audience anyway. It's way too abstract and obtuse. Making it 10 hours isn't going to change that.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, seeing the art style and tone of the campaign, that's not a campaign that would appeal to the casual audience anyway. It's way too abstract and obtuse. Making it 10 hours isn't going to change that.
I can probably agree that maybe there was just no way to make this project appeal to the kind of people that loved Little Big Planet or Super Mario Maker.

At the same time, if there was going to be no concerted attempt to capture or engage a casual audience, then it's difficult to justify 5-7 years of work on just this one title. There aren't a lot of people looking to buy a game creation engine.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
At the same time, if there was going to be no concerted attempt to capture or engage a casual audience, then it's difficult to justify 5-7 years of work on just this one title. There aren't a lot of people looking to buy a game creation engine.

Yea, I don't know what their plans are for this game, but this seems like a perfect candidate for Sony to release on PC. The PC community more than anybody has the potential to make really cool stuff in Dreams.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I don't know what their plans are for this game, but this seems like a perfect candidate for Sony to release on PC. The PC community more than anybody has the potential to make really cool stuff in Dreams.

Well the PS4 community hasn't had issues making really cool stuff thus far.