• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you play Cyberpunk 1997?

• Leave those graphics in the past.

• I grew up with those graphics, I'd try it at least once

• Bring it on, baby

Results are only viewable after voting.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The problem with that suggestion (as I've seen many others say) is that unless MM has a way to monetize Dreams, then they would effectively be making nothing off of it unless somehow it did convince many more people to buy PS5s.
Didn't Sony pay for funding since MM is a Sony studio? So unless MM gets paid per copy sold (a bonus or something) I don't think it matters that much.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Sony pay for funding since MM is a Sony studio? So unless MM gets paid per copy sold (a bonus or something) I don't think it matters that much.

I mean yeah Sony funded it since MM is a Sony studio but if your game makes almost no money it's not good. They need to get some return on their investment. Otherwise Evolution would still exist.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I really hope Sony makes Dreams free with every PS5 console. This game could really use that kind of reach.
The problem with that suggestion (as I've seen many others say) is that unless MM has a way to monetize Dreams, then they would effectively be making nothing off of it unless somehow it did convince many more people to buy PS5s.
True, but MM is a small team. I think Sony could really benefit from long term vision here. Firstly, more than 100k people have already bought dreams in early access. Assuming it sells atleast 200k more units on release at $40, you've made around 10 million dollars, which is probably the budget of the game.

Even if Sony takes a loss by giving it away with the PS5, Dreams is a game that could unironically be the next Minecraft. In a few years, this game could morph into a monstrous system seller. All it needs is a strong player base to start with.

I think that potential should be respected by Sony.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Is this really how first person PS1 games looked? I mean, surely the ceiling fans would animate better.

I'm trying to compare it to MGS.

It looks simultaneously better and worse for a myriad of reasons. Basically the equivalent of making a "NES cover" of a song by just haphazardly using square waves without any real consideration for the hardware specifications. I think it would have been better if it just dropped the reference to PS1 and just branded it as a nondescript retro demake.

While I applaud and respect the time and effort that went into something like this, ultimately I feel these are giant wastes of time. These games end up looking like other games and not nearly as good or fun to play. Maybe people use this as something to put on their CV, but other than that I have no real interest in playing this.

Then you don't really have the proper mindset of an artist or creator. Plenty of people do these kinds of projects just for the sheer craftsmanship of it. Like that Doom rendition of the Seinfeld apartment.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Honestly I feel like a lot of people sleeping on Dreams (no pun intended). Including me to be honest, I have the game but haven't dabbled with it since the EarlyAccess launch. But seeing some of the creations blows my mind.

Quoting the following from a diff thread

WTF!! Mario looks perfect I just! This is randomly enough the most impressive thing I've seen about Dreams

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
This is the kind of playground that can serve as a new "Playstation Home" where creators make and can monetize things. It just needs to be free and integrated into the PSN as a core feature.
Yep. The Dream engine / builder need to be free to access. You put your game on a specific store (accessible by everyone), put a price and MM / Sony take a share. We know after launch, console are often dry of games while waiting the second batch 3-4 months later. If anyone can play with those tools at launch on PS5, it can be really great.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Not a PS1 remake, because it's too clean. Not enough warping polygons all over the screen and a lack of massive aliasing.

Nah, PS2 could get better than that, but if anything, it's probably closer to PSP tier.

edit: Actually, it's too clean for even the PS2 I think. You wouldn't get texture resolution and polygons this clean without it being emulated and rendered at a higher resolution on PC. So sure, it could be a PS1-2 era game, but not on the native hardware at all.

That's what I was thinking. Early PS2 game with enhanced res. Either way, very cool. I got nostalgia.

Lvng

Nov 1, 2017
This game just continues to impress. I still haven't the faintest idea how it works, but I'm looking forward to finding out when I finally get to pick it up myself.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Is this really how first person PS1 games looked? I mean, surely the ceiling fans would animate better.

These are the first two games that I thought of from the PS1, which instantly made me realize there's no way this would be on an actual PSX.

Also, what the fuck is a "demake". Remaking the game with worse visuals is still a remake.