• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you play Cyberpunk 1997?

• Leave those graphics in the past.

• I grew up with those graphics, I'd try it at least once

• Bring it on, baby

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Cyberpunk 2077 has turned into Cyberpunk 1997 via Dreams. According to IGN,

At first, the game is played in first-person as you wake up in your futuristic apartment. The apartment is fully customisable and acts as the game's hub, where you can customise your character, accept missions, and analyse and boost your stats.

There's also a personal armoury where you can grab your equipment before heading out to do missions. The only gun on show so far is the 9mm Vindicator - a standard issue for police officers, which is your character's occupation in the world of Night City.

Dreams comes out of beta for a full release on Valentine's Day, two months before Cyberpunk 2077. Would you give Cyberpunk 1997 and it's OG PlayStation graphics a shot should the developer really flesh this thing?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
This is the kind of playground that can serve as a new "Playstation Home" where creators make and can monetize things. It just needs to be free and integrated into the PSN as a core feature.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I see that's still the only way to have dreams featured in mainstream videogame medias

I was going to say: "No"

but then I thought about and realized nearly all Dreams coverage has been due to re-creations of stuff...

Sucks too cause there is some amazing original content in there. (Not to downplay the video though because it's actually quite cool still!)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap these are so impressive. I've played so much Dreams and I haven't seen anyone create visuals like those! So cool.

That Death Stranding one is awesome too. Would love to see some original games made in Dreams using this style!

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Is this really how first person PS1 games looked? I mean, surely the ceiling fans would animate better.

I'm trying to compare it to MGS.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
That's just a concept trailer, right? There's no actual demo yet where you can play and customuze character etc like the presenter says?

Oct 27, 2017
This is the kind of playground that can serve as a new "Playstation Home" where creators make and can monetize things. It just needs to be free and integrated into the PSN as a core feature.

I think they should bundle it with the PS5. The game could be massive and is likely to be evergreen for years, but it will need a lot of support from Sony because it's a bit abstract and hard to market.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

I'd like to see it become the flagship title of PlayStation Now. I think there's a lot of potential in it streaming, and I think it would translate well.

Booting up PlayStation Now on a PC, plugging in a controller, and I could see it acting like a modern-day flash portal site.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
ForkedInfantileBaldeagle-size_restricted.gif

I've seen the thumbnail, though I just saw the video now...

Never thought it's made in Dreams WTF...

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've said this for the longest....
DREAMS needs to come FREE and installed on every single PS5 from launch....UNTIL
Seriously, its the new Roblox

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
While I applaud and respect the time and effort that went into something like this, ultimately I feel these are giant wastes of time. These games end up looking like other games and not nearly as good or fun to play. Maybe people use this as something to put on their CV, but other than that I have no real interest in playing this.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Nope, it broke the illusion right at the beginning, those cubes wouldn't have been so numerous and the texture... perspective correction ? come on...

Joke rambling aside, that's the kind of stuff i liked making in my primitive 3D engines, only remaking movie scenes rather than other games.
It's fun to do, try it if you've never built anything by yourself.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Not a PS1 remake, because it's too clean. Not enough warping polygons all over the screen and a lack of massive aliasing.

Looks more PS2 actually...but it is awesome!

Nah, PS2 could get better than that, but if anything, it's probably closer to PSP tier.

edit: Actually, it's too clean for even the PS2 I think. You wouldn't get texture resolution and polygons this clean without it being emulated and rendered at a higher resolution on PC. So sure, it could be a PS1-2 era game, but not on the native hardware at all.

Last edited:

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Cyberpunk 2077 has turned into Cyberpunk 1997 via Dreams. According to IGN,

Dreams comes out of beta for a full release on Valentine's Day, two months before Cyberpunk 2077. Would you give Cyberpunk 1997 and it's OG PlayStation graphics a shot should the developer really flesh this thing?

That's incredible. Had to be a lot of work creating all that art, it's 100x easier to make something look current gen in Dreams then to give it a retro look. Basically LOTS of paint work. Impressive.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yo did that person share his Mario character? Would love to use him and tinker him into something Nintendo won't copyright.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I feel like a lot of people sleeping on Dreams (no pun intended). Including me to be honest, I have the game but haven't dabbled with it since the EarlyAccess launch. But seeing some of the creations blows my mind.

Quoting the following from a diff thread

Dreams is really just a game designer scouting program.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
While I applaud and respect the time and effort that went into something like this, ultimately I feel these are giant wastes of time. These games end up looking like other games and not nearly as good or fun to play. Maybe people use this as something to put on their CV, but other than that I have no real interest in playing this.

If people enjoy creating things in Dreams is it really a waste of time? Furthermore I'm always a bit perplexed at why these creations have to be "worthwhile" in some respect to the people playing the final product. What does that have to do with anything?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
If people enjoy it and he enjoys making it, that's great, I'm just saying it's not for me.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly I feel like a lot of people sleeping on Dreams (no pun intended). Including me to be honest, I have the game but haven't dabbled with it since the EarlyAccess launch. But seeing some of the creations blows my mind.

Quoting the following from a diff thread
This is my favorite from Japanese creator.

Manage to create this functional, works properly & intended are already more than an achievement.

But creating a Succubus/She Devil/Bat Lady character that can jump, double jump, climb, push, swim, fly, drill floors with tail, blows flame-ice-wind-vacuum from tail, pencil & eraser for platforming mechanics, etc with crayon art-style & book pages in one Dreams =

tenor.gif

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Is this really how first person PS1 games looked? I mean, surely the ceiling fans would animate better.

I'm trying to compare it to MGS.

Textures would be warped all over the place and textures res would be much lower tbh.
It would probably use a lot of dithering too and general resolution I think is too high for a PS1 game ? I think i also see some kind of AA.
Obviously i don't think you could replicate dithering and warping and disable AA completely in Dreams.
On the other hand, some elements could look better for sure, no reason to have the ceiling fans animate like that.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I really hope Sony makes Dreams free with every PS5 console. This game could really use that kind of reach.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Sony makes Dreams free with every PS5 console. This game could really use that kind of reach.

The problem with that suggestion (as I've seen many others say) is that unless MM has a way to monetize Dreams, then they would effectively be making nothing off of it unless somehow it did convince many more people to buy PS5s.