• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
"she is the number four prostitute in all of kazakhstan"

*holds up trophy*

PapaGoob

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
This has been filming for the last week or two in my city, Long Beach, CA. I can definitely tell you people will know of Borat here. We're not some little city in the middle of the country, lol.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I saw this topic and remembered I never watched Who Is America?

started a free Showtime trial and I'm dying. Obviously not as good as his other stuff but this is my favorite type of comedy.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I want this to be real. Please. Please be real.

My high school friends and I could quite the entire movie. It definitely has a soft spot in my heart.

I wouldn't complain about a "Who Is America" season 2 either.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I hope this has his sidekick as well as them two fighting with each other was part of the charm of the first movie for me.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly a little conflicted about this. I love what Sacha Baron Cohen exposes through his comedy, but so much of Borat as it existed in the mind of popular culture was a funny stereotype man. I've heard lots of quoting Borat but not a lot of quoting people who were in Borat.

Who is America had me feeling similarly conflicted, where Erran Morad, Gio Monaldo, and OMGWhizzBoyOMG! produced results but other characters like Billy Wayne Ruddick Jr. just had their targets end up being mildly confused and didn't really teach us anything about them, or overshadowed them with the interviewer's own gimmicks.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
For everyone saying that the joke was that "nobody was in on the joke" and that it wouldn't work now because people know Borat... 2018 says otherwise.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I also feel like this should be brought up.

The villagers of Glod, Romania, took legal action against the producers of Borat, complaining that they were lied to about the nature of the filming and they were portrayed as incestuous and ignorant. Some said they were paid only three lei (about $1.28 in 2004) each, while others stated they were paid between $70 and $100 each, which did not cover their expenses.[16] The residents asked for $38 million in damages.[66] One lawsuit was thrown out by U.S. District Judge Loretta Preska in a hearing in early December 2006 on the ground that the allegations in the complaint were too vague. Despite this, the litigants planned to refile.[76] In April 2008, the case was dismissed again, citing insufficient evidence.[77]
Glod was a shooting location for the 2006 mockumentary film Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, representing Borat's home village of Kuzcek, Kazakhstan. The villagers were paid the equivalent of four U.S. dollars a day each for their appearances and were told the film would be a documentary about the hardships of village life.[2] According to 20th Century Fox, the movie's nature was obvious to everyone since it included blatantly ridiculous scenes like one of a cow inside someone's house.[3] Fox claims that the production team and star Sacha Baron Cohen each donated $5,000 to the town, as well as paid a location fee, and bought computers, school and office supplies for the residents. In the film, some of the villagers are depicted as rapists, abortionists, and prostitutes for Baron's comedy movie. Two residents of Glod, Nicolae Todorache and Spiridon Ciorbea, have hired the services of Edward Fagan to sue the producers of the film. The lawsuit was thrown out by U.S. District Judge Loretta Preska in a hearing in early December 2006 on the ground that the charges were too vague to stand up in court.[4]

It's a Roma village; a minority group in the country.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe it's actually real, but then again people do have short memories.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

I thought Bruno was the sequel to Borat?

Bruno is a completely different character.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Watching premiere of Borat will always been one of the most memorable cinema experiences I ever had. When he is chasing his manager naked through hotel, I've never seen or heard such loud and sustained laughter ever before.
Oh man. I thought I was going to die laughing during that scene.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
There are people in America that would ask what language we speak in England, and people in this thread are worried that s movie wouldnt work because they'd know who Borat is? They would have seen the dvd cover and not watched it because they were worried it had subtitles, theyre not going to know who Borat is.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
There are people in America that would ask what language we speak in England, and people in this thread are worried that s movie wouldnt work because they'd know who Borat is? They would have seen the dvd cover and not watched it because they were worried it had subtitles, theyre not going to know who Borat is.

When I was in america I showed Republicans, confused how a chud like Trump was leading their party, the Rodeo scene from the first movie.

They couldn't understand that it wasnt scripted, that it was an actual prank on racist assholes.

Anyone who has seen Borat isn't going to be a possible target of this movie. That a sequel can happen is an indictment of willful ignorance and american exceptionalism.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
It's just occurred to me that I don't want to watch this movie unless I hear they pulled something really special out of the bag. Think about it. It's going to be lots of talking to Trump supporters and going "Hey, look how dumb they are", but that's been done to death now and I'm numb to it. Trump supporters are immune to satire at this point because there's only so many times I can watch an overweight white woman talk absolute dogshit into a microphone. When youtube throws this sort of stuff at me I skip it because I am bored, tired, and numb to the topic. They are stupid. Painfully, exhaustingly stupid.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
It's just occurred to me that I don't want to watch this movie unless I hear they pulled something really special out of the bag. Think about it. It's going to be lots of talking to Trump supporters and going "Hey, look how dumb they are", but that's been done to death now and I'm numb to it. Trump supporters are immune to satire at this point because there's only so many times I can watch an overweight white woman talk absolute dogshit into a microphone. When youtube throws this sort of stuff at me I skip it because I am bored, tired, and numb to the topic. They are stupid. Painfully, exhaustingly stupid.
[

I get what you are saying, but isnt that TV show he did for Channel 4 proof that he will target more than just uneducated Trump voters?

It made headlines about pissing Republican politicians off, but it targeted people from all walks of life.

I dont think he will change that for Borat 2. It is clear that he is fascinated by the reactions he gets prodding at America, using awful stereotypes to dig beneath people's skin and make them show their ugly selves.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

From that Reddit link they make it seem like
"Borat" is disguising himself to do the interviews because he thinks everyone will recognize him from his movie.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
One of the best news I've heard this year. I'm pretty excited, Borat is just one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god Borat 2 out of nowhere, finally some good news. I hope they'll release it digitally somehow instead of waiting for movie theaters to be profitable

Oct 29, 2017
Watching premiere of Borat will always been one of the most memorable cinema experiences I ever had. When he is chasing his manager naked through hotel, I've never seen or heard such loud and sustained laughter ever before.

I still think his HBO and British show segments are so criminally underrated and just love him interacting with regular folk-

m.youtube.com

Da Ali G Show - Borat: Republican Party Speech

Da Ali G Show - Borat: Republican Party SpeechDa Ali G Show - BoratOur YouTube channel features ALL the scenes from Da Ali G Show. Subscribe to watch your fa...
Outside of the more obvious things, one thing I find interesting about the segments where the joke is essentially 'endear yourself to people by making horrible jokes/comments to satirise their implied values' is that you must have to sit there, as a comic, and essentially come up with routines that wildly different groups would find funny and then also find a way for that to be funny to other disparate groups that will watch your show. In that sense, I always found it fascinating.

I do think a lot of the older stuff is underrated though, the Ali G interview with Buzz Aldrin always gets me.