• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Of course the IGN poll is rigged. Any poll that has a buggy, derivative piece of shit like Jedi Fallen Order near the top should be dismissed.
Tbf, there are two issues with the poll that I've seen:
  • Since this is a user-voted poll, games that have sold more will naturally have an advantage over more niche games. Hence Astral Chain being last and Pokemon being third on the Switch poll, despite their critical reception being the opposite.
  • Since the IGN poll doesn't require you to provide an email or log in to a social media account (i.e. most Google Docs polls require you to log into your Google account), if someone was desperate enough, I presume that they could simply use a VPN or Tor to vote dozens of times.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
The lack of Death Stranding on this list is absolutely terrible.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
A very good list I must say, I'm glad Outer Wilds is here, as well as Fire Emblem, my personal GOTY.

I'm also happy to see its winning the Switch exclusive user poll, it's surprising to me that Fire Emblem has almost twice as much votes as Pokemon, though I suppose it is indicative of fan reception.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I have more faith in Gamespot(and even Giantbomb this year) to do the right thing and award Outer Wilds GOTY.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Should Mads be among the nominees? Sure. But all those performances are excellent choices.
Which is why I'm saying that he should have been one of the nominees. That is exactly what I'm saying. It's a bad omission when other IGN categories have 10 spaces and they only offer 5 spaces for voice performances category, you know something's up.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Giant bomb will be between outer wilds, the outer worlds and control. Which is a damn good list to fight over :)
After listening to their pods most of the year, I think it's going to be Control.

A few of them soured on Outer Worlds towards the end of their playthroughs. I'll be interested to see where they end up on some of the other contenders though.

Oct 27, 2017
So because people don't agree with your opinion on the game, our opinions on the game being good is a joke and sarcastic lol.
I admit it wasn't the most....constructive or positive response, but i'd be the equivalent of someone saying Mass Effect Andromeda or MvC: Infinite or FF15 or Fallout 76 were the best games in their respective series and I, as a major fan of them, reading it

Much

Feb 24, 2018
it's really not.

death stranding will win plenty game of the year awards from other sites. It will be fine.

I think it becomes problematic when a game like Death Stranding attempts something rather unique in the industry and is reviewed inaccurately by reviewers, yes.

Like come on. I'm just saying it feels most strange that a game of this caliber doesn't even enter the GOTY noms for a site like this.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
After listening to their pods most of the year, I think it's going to be Control.

A few of them soured on Outer Worlds towards the end of their playthroughs. I'll be interested to see where they end up on some of the other contenders though.

yeah several of them bounced hard of the outer worlds. And I get that to be honest. The writing is kind of juvenile and the combat is very bland. It's a good game but not great.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Giant bomb will be between outer wilds, the outer worlds and control. Which is a damn good list to fight over :)

Control would still be their best GOTY pick this generation, so I'll allow it. The Outer Worlds' honeymoon phase lasted little more than a weekend for me. In no hurry to go back. Fortunately SMM2 doesn't appear to be in serious contention this year, so at the very least that farse shan't be repeated.

I just can't wrap my head around how strongly some people feel about Outer Wilds. I did not like it much at all.

I was hesitant to buy into the extreme praise despite Outer Wilds looking & sounding 100% like my type of game, but it made me a devout believer. It's like Carl Sagan, Ueda, and Edge of Tommorow had a baby delivered by Stephen Baxter. My brain collapses in on itself every time think about it. It makes me feel things no game has.

Anders from BSG gives a perfect review with his 'Moments of Perfection' speech.

the beauty of physics, the wonder of mathematics, the elation of action & reaction

That's Outer Wilds in a nutshell.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I think it becomes problematic when a game like Death Stranding attempts something rather unique in the industry and is reviewed inaccurately by reviewers, yes.

Like come on. I'm just saying it feels most strange that a game of this caliber doesn't even enter the GOTY noms for a site like this.

What does a "game of this caliber" mean though? IGN overall didn't like it, so it shouldn't be in this list. Lists should 100 % be a reflection of what the people that make the lists think, if they would just put games on there because they are "high caliber" to some/even most, they might as well stop at all because the list would lose all value.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

I think many many reviewers appreciated the attempt to do something different but couldn't recommend it due to its execution.

Much

Feb 24, 2018
What does a "game of this caliber" mean though? IGN overall didn't like it, so it shouldn't be in this list. Lists should 100 % be a reflection of what the people that make the lists think, if they would just put games on there because they are "high caliber" to some/even most, they might as well stop at all because the list would lose all value.

My point is that they reviewed it inaccurately. They've done this before with Alien Isolation. End of the day, it's just one person's opinion anyway. :P

I think many many reviewers appreciated the attempt to do something different but couldn't recommend it due to its execution.

Execution is clearly fine. The person playing is playing it wrong; you can't take a reverse trike up those hills. :/

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

That's where I'm at with it. Glad it exists and all, but I didn't enjoy my time with it for the most part, and refrained from recommending it to my friend who was initially interested.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately, reviews are subjective takes, so of course the post comes off as childish. I'm just saying, some games that are actually really good haven't been reviewed well by IGN.
you said reviewers, plural. basically implying all the low scores the game got was as a result of being inaccurately reviewed.
at the end of the day, trying something new isn't the same as being good. not all new things deserve praise. it's not always because something is too good or too ahead of its time to be appropriately appreciated.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Death Stranding fans are the Arsenal FC fans equivalent for gaming
giphy.gif

Much

Feb 24, 2018
you said reviewers, plural. basically implying all the low scores the game got was as a result of being inaccurately reviewed.
at the end of the day, trying something new isn't the same as being good. not all new things deserve praise. it's not always because something is too good or too ahead of its time to be appropriately appreciated.

I'm not implying that at all. I'm saying IGN is a case where it repeatedly happens. I see what you mean though.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

That video is horrific, the fact that the game even allows that kind of Jank is pretty bad IMO. It's not doing the game any favours showing this clip.

Also, a game of this caliber. we could reel off loads of games. Wheres Gears 5, wheres Apex legends, DMC 5, where's luigis mansion 3, where's the outer wilds...the list goes on and on. I don't know what it is with death stranding fans but you guys need to chill.
My point is that they reviewed it inaccurately. They've done this before with Alien Isolation. End of the day, it's just one person's opinion anyway. :P

Execution is clearly fine. The person playing is playing it wrong; you can't take a reverse trike up those hills. :/

I also have major issues when any one says you are playing the game wrong. I mean, the game doesn't need to look that janky when attempting something like this. It looks terrible.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Link's Awakening and I like the remake but I wouldn't put that specific release in my top 10

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My thoughts are that a lot of sites approach these lists as "most broadly accepted."

anyone has a good chance of enjoying any game they choose to play from the list. I think that's how a lot of people define "greatness"

Death Stranding is divisive as hell and challenges how people even think of games. For that reason, even if that is a merit itself, I think mainstream sites like IGN would snub it.

Much

Feb 24, 2018
That video is horrific, the fact that the game even allows that kind of Jank is pretty bad IMO. It's not doing the game any favours showing this clip.

Also, a game of this caliber. we could reel off loads of games. Wheres Gears 5, wheres Apex legends, DMC 5, where's luigis mansion 3, where's the outer wilds...the list goes on and on. I don't know what it is with death stranding fans but you guys need to chill.

I also have major issues when any one says you are playing the game wrong. I mean, the game doesn't need to look that janky when attempting something like this. It looks terrible.
True. But it's quite clear that you don't use bikes to traverse up hills; the game even tells you it isn't an effective means of traversal. I'm not even trying to come off as argumentative. I'm simply saying that reviewing a game in such a way where you ignore basic information from the game just helps me to question the validity of the arguments posed by the reviewer. Obviously, I myself am biased since I loved Death Stranding.

My thoughts are that a lot of sites approach these lists as "most broadly accepted."

anyone has a good chance of enjoying any game they choose to play from the list. I think that's how a lot of people define "greatness"

Death Stranding is divisive as hell and challenges how people even think of games. For that reason, even if that is a merit itself, I think mainstream sites like IGN would snub it.

That's where I feel a divisive title like Death Stranding should make the runnings in nominations. Ah well, just my take on it.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Can you DS fans pleeease not ruin the game's rep by going all Undertale / Rick & Morty fanatical?

I have to wait months before it's out on PC and would genuinely not want to see the well poisoned by an insufferable, obnoxious fanbase.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately, reviews are subjective takes, so of course the post comes off as childish. I'm just saying, some games that are actually really good haven't been reviewed well by IGN.

Why do you care so much? If you enjoy the game, who cares about what anyone else thinks?

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Can you DS fans pleeease not ruin the game's rep by going all Undertale / Rick & Morty fanatical?

I have to wait months before it's out on PC and would genuinely not want to see the well poisoned by an insufferable, obnoxious fanbase.
The game's rep was never good in the first place, your threats mean nothing mang

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019

Jesus christ, there is literally an on screen tutorial in that video telling him about vehicles not suitable for rough terrain and requiring careful route selection.

Kojima put too much faith into thinking gamers would realize vehicles are not suitable for certain situations and stop trying to brute force it.

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Jesus christ, there is literally an on screen tutorial in that video telling him about vehicles not suitable for rough terrain and requiring careful route selection.

Kojima put too much faith into thinking gamers would realize vehicles are not suitable for certain situations and stop trying to brute force it.

This is literally my point. Thank you!

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I drove my bikes everywhere lol I could always find some route up a mountain

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
I am happy that RE2R is so successful, but I don't understand why it gets so much love. It is a good but not great remake that doesnt introduce very many new things and its biggest change is to remove the slow-burn horror by adding in an obnoxious, but never more than obnoxious, element. I worry sometimes that we are entering the period for millenials where nostalgia is enough of a factor to get pleasant game more credit than it probably deserves, see also Link's Awakening.

That said, I am excited for RE3 remake.