• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon was freakin awful and this is from someone who didn't even mind dexit or whatever. Can't believe I actually made it through that mind numbingly dull game.

It's probably the worst game I played the entirety of in the last 10 years.
Good for you. Because you definitely haven't played that many games in the last 10 years.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what was so "profound" regarding Pokemon Sword/Shield that it deserved a GOtY nomination? I would love to hear from those who adored it.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's just how niche the genre is.

For people who are really into DMCV, they probably put a ton of time into replaying the game a fuckton to master the brilliant combat mechanics and it payed off for them.

Not everyone has that same drive. For many people who do one playthrough like they do other games and just move on, it was an arena-after-arena button-mashy action game that makes you feel like a badass with a serviceable story. Not much to speak of in terms of level design either.

Of course it won't resonate with the wider audience as much as it does the core DMC fanbase who replay these games for hours to dig into the combat. It's just a side effect of how the games are designed with such a big focus on appealing to that core fanbase.

There's nothing profound to be found there after just one playthrough, which is probably what many people did.

Plenty of games that sell a lot but never receive a Goty nomination like MOBAs,RAcing games,Fighting Games...etc. Even if DMCV magically sold 10m copies , you would see it getting snubbed.
Theres nothing "profound" about any of the games nominated. Most Game reviewers or like IGN have specific taste in games and it shows since the same type of games keep getting picked.

Every genre basically focus on its core things, you can even say GTAV is just walking around and shooting things. It depends on how interested you are in exploring every aspect of the game.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
As long as Disco Elysium is on the list, the rest is gravy. It won't win, of course, even though it should, but we all know that's not happening.

Pokemon is an odd, though not outlandish, inclusion. Wonder if that was forced due to the review score.

They put in Jedi Fallen Order but not Death Stranding lol.

For all its rough edges, Fallen Order is a much better game than Death Stranding, even if it's not as much of a technical achievement. Once the requisite 6 months in which the fans can't admit to any flaws in the game pass, the discourse on Death Stranding will be much easier to stomach. Zelda has a similar process.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of games that sell a lot but never receive a Goty nomination like MOBAs,RAcing games,Fighting Games...etc. Even if DMCV magically sold 10m copies , you would see it getting snubbed.
Theres nothing "profound" about any of the games nominated. Most Game reviewers or like IGN have specific taste in games and it shows since the same type of games keep getting picked.

Every genre basically focus on its core things, you can even say GTAV is just walking around and shooting things. It depends on how interested you are in exploring every aspect of the game.
Exactly, and the character action genre is niche because it requires tons of practice and engagement to get the most out of it. The main focus is the super deep combat. The game isn't designed to give you everything it has to offer on a first playthrough, while noms like RE2 and Death Stranding give it all on taking the player through a memorable experience and journey on that first playthrough.

that's why you hear people say about Bayo and DMC "the first playthrough is basically a glorified tutorial"

There's nothing wrong with that at all, I'm just saying the genre is inherently structured to be niche.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that I haven't bought a single new game that came out this year and have only played one (Outer World's).

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I wish I had the same experience as you. I beat it and hated it. I've loved certain pokemon games (red is in my top 3 of all time). The entire time I was frustrated by the story. It felt like all the interesting stuff was off to the side and I wasn't taking part in it.
I totally get that! And to be fair, a lot of people agree with you too. I'm just explaining why I loved it :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
So what was so "profound" regarding Pokemon Sword/Shield that it deserved a GOtY nomination? I would love to hear from those who adored it.
I found it to be one of the most engaging and fun games to play in years, and also the best game in the series since the end of the DS era. The story was nonsensical, but also de-emphasized, and never infringed on my enjoyment of the game (also I never play Pokemon for the story, so unless it's bad AND thrown in my face like the Gen 7 games, it will neve rbe a negative for me). Meanwhile, the things the game did well, from its amazing region to great Pokemon designs, to the Wild Area and Max Raids, are some of my favorite additions to the franchise in a while.

I would absolutely have Pokemon in my GotY ballot. It wouldn't win, for what it's worth, but it would definitely be on there. And that's not an unpopular opinion.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Clearly what this list is missing is Shenmue 3 and the Division 2.
Three Houses is, reluctantly, my GOTY. Very interesting but flawed game in an overall bad year for gaming.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Jedi Fallen Order is my surprise pick for GotY, didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did but it ended up being some of the most fun and engaging 25 hours of gaming I've had all generation. I can't even pinpoint why it resonated so much because its obviously very flawed in a lot of ways but got dang did I love it. The only games here that I wouldn't understand winning personally are Pokémon and Links Awakening, neither are bad games at all but I don't think they're up to the standards of a lot of the other picks here for me personally. I might add Three Houses to that list as well despite enjoying it a lot.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Having an illustration of Mads as the cover of their performance poll then removing it for a new illustration when people pointed out they didn't even include him as a voting option is next level smooth brain
They had to commission someone for that

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Obvious omissions, in my book:
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
Tetris 99
Days Gone
Super Mario Maker 2
Luigi's Mansion 3
Crackdown 3
Devil May Cry 5
Children of Morta
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Killer Queen Black

Great year for gaming.

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
Amazing that one of these games is just a remake of a game that came out a previous year. It was a pretty boring year for gaming huh

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The fact that its so unique and divisive, with the most 10/10s of the year, but also some of the lowest score for an AAA game this year, will make it memorable and remembered in discussions for years to come in my opinion, I love it.

And this is why I'm so happy it exists. I genuinely am so happy Kojima got to make it and even more happy that the people that adore it, found a game they love.

Unfortunately, it's like how much I personally love point and click games, visual novels or how someone may love farming simulator trying to constantly go on about how it's insane that it's not on game if the year lists etc.

It would be nice if the group that adores death stranding realised that, this game clicked with me...I love it...but I get that me constantly going on about this 82 metacritic game is like a vocal minority of farming simulator fans constantly bringing it up.

I'm just trying to say, it's a niche game that doesnt need to be in the goty race imo.

I agree. I'm tired of people talking it up like it's the best game ever and I'm sick of people trashing Kojima. An 82 meta isn't the best thing since sliced bread and an 82 doesn't mean the end of Kojima.

Shit got old really fast.

OT: Sekiro is my GoTY.

I am right there with you, on all points!

Windy_Smile

Oct 27, 2017
Hope more major outlets nominate Outer Wilds, that game needs all the exposure it can get.
To those who have played Slay the Spire, is it easy to get into if the only card game I've played is Triple Triad in FF8?

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Hope more major outlets nominate Outer Wilds, that game needs all the exposure it can get.
To those who have played Slay the Spire, is it easy to get into if the only card game I've played is Triple Triad in FF8?
Yeah, it's a deck builder like Dominion and Star Realms mixed with a rouge-light so it's super easy to get into! Highly recommend it, super fun!

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This is a pretty long list and definitely leaves room for criticism, but coming off of the tepid Game Awards noms, it's a much more interesting lineup and one that does a far better job of representing 2019 as a year in gaming.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, and the character action genre is niche because it requires tons of practice and engagement to get the most out of it. The main focus is the super deep combat. The game isn't designed to give you everything it has to offer on a first playthrough, while noms like RE2 and Death Stranding give it all on taking the player through a memorable experience and journey on that first playthrough.

that's why you hear people say about Bayo and DMC "the first playthrough is basically a glorified tutorial"

There's nothing wrong with that at all, I'm just saying the genre is inherently structured to be niche.

While Character action is niche. I don't think being niche is the issue. Tons of indie games are niche but they have no issues receiving industry acclaim.

Like you said its the Skill and Time investment required. MOBAs are huge and probably the biggest genre out there. But you don't see them get Goty awards or anything. Same deal for Fighting games. Even if DMC suddenly became mainstream enough to sell 10m+ copies and got a 95 on MC. I don't think it will do a clean sweep on Goty awards the same way something like God of War or Zelda can.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Some real gems on there. It's crazy that 2 (and possibly 3 if the rumors are true) of those games are on Game Pass.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
IGN hated Death Stranding, why would they nominate it lol

Just a note that they didn't finished the game and still gave it a 6.8

And here on Era I was mentioned that you can't upload a review on Metacritic if you havent finished the game to completion.

And also, personally feel like DMCV deserves just as much or more recognition than some titles there.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
What's up with the user voting?

I already voted right at the start. Today I wanted to check the actual results, but now a lot of new games are added to the pool.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Why are people surprised Pokemon is on there? They gave it one of the most positive reviews and said it was the best game in the series

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO Death Stranding really isn't that great.

I'm playing the game and enjoying it so far (55 hours in, on Chapter 5), but it's really not that great.
Too many design flaws and the writing is downright laughable at times. Just because the game is creative and unique doesn't mean it's great.
It's far and away the best game of the year though. Opinions... But it's kinda telling why we get so few creative new games when they get so much hate but the remake of a 20 year old Zelda games is nominated for a Game of the Year award, lol. At least Disco Elysium and Control on the list.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's far and away the best game of the year though. Opinions... But it's kinda telling why we get so few creative new games when they get so much hate but the remake of a 20 year old Zelda games is nominated for a Game of the Year award, lol. At least Disco Elysium and Control on the list.
oh brother. so everyone who doesn't care about DS must be against creativity and new ideas and wants to play the same old games again and again? something being new doesn't immediately make it good, and if a publication doesn't care for it it's not right to say they hate it because it tried something new and fresh. they could just... not care about the new things it did.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

What you are saying is true. But it doesn't apply to a game like DS which is already leading the number of GOTYs received.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Why are people surprised Pokemon is on there? They gave it one of the most positive reviews and said it was the best game in the series
Same reason DMCV and DS aren't on that list. A review is the opinion of one person.

After completing Sword I honestly wouldn't put that game near any top 10 of the year

kueijin

Aug 31, 2018
Disco Elysium is the highest rated game ign reviewed this year, it would be weird not giving goty to your highest rated game. No need to think about it ign just give it to disco Elysium...