• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 5, 2018
Imagine listing fucking Link's Awakening for GotY before DMC5 or Ace Combat 7 lul.

IGN lost the plot years ago.
Keep in Mind they gave AC7 a 7 out of 10. It wouldn't be consistent with their review if they gave it a GOTY nomination. Although isn't there an IGN editor who posts on Era and has talked about how much he loves AC7? Skies Unknown is certainly one of my favorite games of the year but I'm not expecting it to get much love in GOTY talks.

I like the list for GOTY overall though. FE3H repping is pretty rad.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
btw they didn't fully ignore death stranding. it's nominated for best ps4 exclusive, best music/score and best art direction.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
One person at IGN hated it. It's a fucking disgrace that a game as amazing as Death Stranding isn't even NOMINATED for GOTY at such a huge site. Yet Outer Worlds is? I'm glad they included Disco and Outer Wilds, but excluding Death Stranding is not a good sign for the AAA market. Just make a generic and super safe game and you'll be good, I guess.
It wasn't one person

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
IGN gave Death Stranding a 6.8 and Pokemon Sword/Shield a 9.3.

This is really the opposite of my own opinions and feels like they're punishing games that try new things and praise games with stagnant formulas.
This is kind of how I feel about it, especially after playing through Jedi Fallen Order after Death Stranding and seeing both of their IGN reviews.

Jedi Fallen Order was magnitudes of order more frustrating and I LOVE all three of the genres it blends. Fallen Order just happens to do all 3 of them not the best. Especially the combat. In general, while I enjoyed it, I just found the game to feel a little bit on the dull side of things.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Not surprised, but literally none of my GOTY are to be seen (Ring Fit Adventure, Days Gone, and Death Stranding).

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
Any list that includes Disco Elysium, Slay the Spire, and Fire Emblem (my personal top 3 of 2019) is okay with me.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Wow. It really has been a weak year. Pokemon and Zelda made the cut???? I would give the nod to Disco Elysium or Resident Evil 2.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Because folks want Obsidian to succeed. Even though The Outer Worlds is now where close to their work in Fallout New Vegas. (Sadly...I wanted to love that game...but it just didn't happen).
I was in the same boat as you. Everything just felt flat. It reminded me of Farcry 5. A game that overall is done well but just had nothing that made it pop or feel special.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Swap Pokemon out for Astral Chain or maybe DMCV (I haven't played DMCV yet). Pokemon is good, but it ain't GotY material.

Hope Three Houses wins though. It's definitely the best IMO.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why are people surprised link's awakening made the list? it's an excellent game and had great critical reception from most publications.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a really piss poor year hasn't it, the weakest of the decade probably
Not really, I mean given how many strong releases there were in the years preceding 2019 and how many strong releases there will be next year as this gen wraps up... I'd say this year was more "normal" compared to everything else. We've just had it really, really good over the past few years to say the least.

Anyway I'd vote for RE2 if we're talking that list.

Feb 21, 2019
I was in the same boat as you. Everything just felt flat. It reminded me of Farcry 5. A game that overall is done well but just had nothing that made it pop or feel special.
It did feel flat. Even the herald "Writing" was so safe and quite frankly boring. A few high points with some (but not all) of the side characters, but otherwise just as ho-hum as any other rpg. I know the guys can write better than that.

(As for Far Cry 5, I actually liked it. Probably because the Soundtrack was freakin god-tier, so the rest was fine).

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Out of those I would choose either Fire Emblem or Sekiro. Not sure I agree with Link's Awakening because it was an altogether uninspired remake. Don't get me wrong, It was a 10/10 when it originally released and it holds up even today but it is a remake that does nothing new.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Sekiro deserves the win, and it isnt even close. Death Stranding right where it belongs, and Pokemon should be with it.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
One person at IGN hated it. It's a fucking disgrace that a game as amazing as Death Stranding isn't even NOMINATED for GOTY at such a huge site. Yet Outer Worlds is? I'm glad they included Disco and Outer Wilds, but excluding Death Stranding is not a good sign for the AAA market. Just make a generic and super safe game and you'll be good, I guess.

Just stop. Not everybody has to enjoy what you enjoy. Acting as if Death Stranding is objectively GOTY material is absolutely silly.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
LMAO Death Stranding really isn't that great.

I'm playing the game and enjoying it so far (55 hours in, on Chapter 5), but it's really not that great.
Too many design flaws and the writing is downright laughable at times. Just because the game is creative and unique doesn't mean it's great.
It's GOTY though