• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Sekiro might be the most worthy, as RE2 falls short of feeling complete in my humble opinion.

My personal favorite out of these was Link's Awakening, followed by RE2.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One person at IGN hated it. It's a fucking disgrace that a game as amazing as Death Stranding isn't even NOMINATED for GOTY at such a huge site. Yet Outer Worlds is? I'm glad they included Disco and Outer Wilds, but excluding Death Stranding is not a good sign for the AAA market. Just make a generic and super safe game and you'll be good, I guess.

You are getting too heated over this

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Nice list! Glad to see Slay the Spire isn't getting ignored (I feared that it's Early Access period in the year before would make people forget what actually released).

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Man, DMCV wasn't even the best game with a robot-armed swordman released that month.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
What did Pokémon do to end up on this list? The only thing better than previous games are the graphics.
Be a good game that a lot of people enjoyed.

lol fuck this list.

No Death Stranding nomination sucks, regardless of what their main reviewer said.

especially considering that Jedi Fallen Order is included. Having beat both, Fallen Order falls much more into mediocrity than Death Stranding.

I mean, it doesn't surprise me that they didn't, but just bleh.
Calm down man, they're allowed to not like it.
You're way too invested.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Replace Pokemon with Astral Chain and you got yourself a pretty solid list.

Would give it to Fire Emblem, personally.

Really need to get around to trying out Outer Wilds.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One person at IGN hated it. It's a fucking disgrace that a game as amazing as Death Stranding isn't even NOMINATED for GOTY at such a huge site. Yet Outer Worlds is? I'm glad they included Disco and Outer Wilds, but excluding Death Stranding is not a good sign for the AAA market. Just make a generic and super safe game and you'll be good, I guess.
well apparently more than one person, since it didn't make the list that's chosen by the whole staff.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Pokemon gets a nom but DMC gets snubbed.... Why must IGN keep giving me reasons to not like them.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Pokémon really? The best feature of the game, which is the online, barely functions. The stamp system is garbage and it's hard to connect to raids but ok..

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC

It wasn't just the reviewer though. If you follow the IGN folks on Twitter, a lot of them also didn't like it or straight up didn't play it because of the review.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Devil May Cry V might be like that friend everybody loves but it's never invited to the party.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a better list than The Game Awards, but it does have the benefit of being twice as big.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
People will complain that DMC V isn't on the list

Not saying this didn't happen with other games on that list but DMC V was a tale of two halfs. The first half was badass and levels where typically cool, the second half was a bit of a snoozer and levels blended together. Just for my own personal GOTY list, if the second half was as good as the first it would easily be top 3. I think I have it sitting 9th or 10th currently.

Im more shocked Luigis Mansion 3 isn't on the list compared to Link's Awakening Remake or Pokemon if they wanted to fill another slot with Nintendo exclusive.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Just because it's an RPG doesn't make it "safe" lol. Otherwise Death Stranding is also safe because it's open world, which is the current hotness.
The difference between those two is that Outer Worlds does not try to change the way we interact with that style of Western RPG. It's very much, "one of those". It's a good game and I enjoyed my time with it, but I very much forgot it the instant I was done with it.
There is nothing else like Death Stranding in the open world format.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
2014, 2012. 2019 was actually a great year, I don't get that comment at all.

2014 is the unquestioned champion of weak years for me. I liked 2019, but I get some of the skepticism towards it, just because its hits are pretty conservative, not much that feels fresh, with the exceptions of Control and Outer Wilds (maybe Disco Elysium and Slay the Spire too, haven't played those personally). The Outer Worlds succeeds because it is so dedicated to being a Bethesda-like. RE2 and Link's Awakenings are literal remakes, a beat-for-beat one in Zelda's case. Pokémon and Fire Emblem are good (very good, for Fire Emblem) entries in their franchises, but still totally within the traditional bounds of their franchises. Sekiro is great, bit it's our third release in the FROM formula this gen.