• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

DP1 SPOILERS
I wonder if there will be references to Kaysen in this game since York's carreer is entirely based on pursuing him across America, while apprehending other serial killers very Silence of the Lambs esque.
kaysen is an agent of the red tree, but not necessarily the only one. there could be other agents responsible for red tree-related incidents. at the end of the first game kaysen is defeated but since there are other incidents happening in 2019, there could be another agent at work. as for 2005, kaysen could possibly be related to the red trees in Le Carré but not be directly involved in the serial murders going on there.

this map from the prologue of the first game marks the appearances of kaysen, but there's not a kaysen doll on Louisiana. there is however, a pin which implies a red tree-related incident.

screenshot2020-06-24a9fk5l.png

Do you feel that Zack? Four more days until we return.
shaving is back, confirmed

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

kaysen is an agent of the red tree, but not necessarily the only one. there could be other agents responsible for red tree-related incidents. at the end of the first game kaysen is defeated but since there are other incidents happening in 2019, there could be another agent at work. as for 2005, kaysen could possibly be related to the red trees in Le Carré but not be directly involved in the serial murders going on there.

this map from the prologue of the first game marks the appearances of kaysen, but there's not a kaysen doll on Louisiana. there is however, a pin which implies a red tree-related incident.

screenshot2020-06-24a9fk5l.png

Excellent. Thanks for confirming!

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
It looks like garbage so fans of the first game should be happy.

No lies detected.

I honestly think a lot of people who say that DP is some kind of "so bad its good" game like that movie The Room haven't actually played it. The game is great because it has a great story, lovely characters, funny dialogue, very good OST and an open-world that while "empty" is kind of reminiscent of Shenmue, due to the memorable NPCs with specific schedules. Its great despite the jank. I didn't want DP2 to run like crap, i don't think its part of the "appeal" or whatever. That said, i still think the game will be amazing and i will be there day one.

I like deadly premonition but it is 100% a "so bad it's good" thing for me, i like it for the exact same reasons i like the room.
I think it is a bad game in almost every conceivable way.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know its part of the charm and all but I wish Nintendo could've sent some engineers to help optimize the game at least a bit...

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Can't unsee, 'I am loathe to part with it' in the subtitles. It's 'loath to'. They need an editor :v

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
One of the biggest confirms from people with early copies for me is unlike DP1 they let you adjust the volume of the sound mixing (IE the volume of the music, sound effects, voices, etc.)

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
One of the biggest confirms from people with early copies for me is unlike DP1 they let you adjust the volume of the sound mixing (IE the volume of the music, sound effects, voices, etc.)

This is excellent. It won't quite be the same without music drowning out half the dialogue, but I think I'd prefer to be able to hear the voice actors.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
not sure about the original/director's cut versions, but you can already do that in origins.

2c0dad46-314c-4b0e-9znk14.jpeg
I think that was added later as I have a very distinct memory of looking for such an option when I played the original game on 360 back in the day and not being able to find it, or it was something weird and I think the volume was tied to each other in weird ways, I just remember accepting that was how it was going to be.

Still nice to have a confirm here though.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
That first character interaction in the restaurant/bowling alley 👀. Bit too much stereotype there.

Game looks rough.

Writing is awful too.

I did play through the original though and liked it.

Last edited:

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
DP1 SPOILERS
I wonder if there will be references to Kaysen in this game since York's carreer is entirely based on pursuing him across America, while apprehending other serial killers very Silence of the Lambs esque.
DP1 spoilers
If the game actually is a stealth follow-up to D4 that also raises some weird questions since that had a Forrest Kaysen that was an entirely different character. I wonder if that'll be folded into the plot or waved away.
Thank god

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that was added later as I have a very distinct memory of looking for such an option when I played the original game on 360 back in the day and not being able to find it, or it was something weird and I think the volume was tied to each other in weird ways, I just remember accepting that was how it was going to be.

there could still be something wrong with it, as i never bothered to change those settings. there's some parts where the mix is probably intentionally bad (like the screaming over the loud music in the breakfast scene), but otherwise the mix is terrible but i just went with it, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you couldn't do this on 360 as it was a running joke among my friends that York would get drowned out by music or other audio.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow I thought they'd actually improve the performance over the original but jesus christ still looks like ASS.

I still wanna play though :P

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If the game actually is a stealth follow-up to D4 that also raises some weird questions since that had a Forrest Kaysen that was an entirely different character. I wonder if that'll be folded into the plot or waved away.
Personally I want to see Swery go nuts with it and also include references to Spy Fiction and it's version of Forrest Kaysen, create a true interconnected universe out of this.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Personally I want to see Swery go nuts with it and also include references to Spy Fiction and it's version of Forrest Kaysen, create a true interconnected universe out of this.
DP spoilers
Given that DP FK is an extradimensional alien, I could definitely see them going with some explanation of each FK being a physical form of a larger being. Maybe DP FK is the bad side and D4 FK the good side of the same creature or something. Watching a LP recently to refresh myself, it really struck me how little of the supernatural stuff in the first game is explored at all.
i really want to see a cameo from jj macfield, and maybe naomi watts from the good life.
Given how The Missing ends, a JJ Macfield cameo of some kind would be really sweet.

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California

You could adjust the volume of things in all releases though on some cutscenes you couldn't actually adjust the music sound and I only know because I tried to turn it off trying to record end game dialogue without music for various videos over the years lol.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I played Deadly Premonition during quarantine and really didn't care for it much, but I liked it just enough to have some interest in a sequel. I'll probably read a lot of reviews first. I haven't decided yet.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could adjust the volume of things in all releases though on some cutscenes you couldn't actually adjust the music sound and I only know because I tried to turn it off trying to record end game dialogue without music for various videos over the years lol.
could it be that those cutscenes were pre-recorded videos? i know there's a couple of those in the game (it's obvious which ones from the video compression and the fact that york isn't in them cuz in the in-engine cutscenes his clothes are determined by the player). for those the audio has to be pre-recorded too and the levels can't be adjusted.

groovyalex391

May 7, 2020
I know its part of the charm and all but I wish Nintendo could've sent some engineers to help optimize the game at least a bit...
Some jankieness is one thing but based on Swery's twitter replies, he made the framerate crap on purpose? The performance issues were never part of the charm of the original and even then, never ran that badly.

IamAwake

Oct 27, 2017
Some jankieness is one thing but based on Swery's twitter replies, he made the framerate crap on purpose? The performance issues were never part of the charm of the original and even then, never ran that badly.
Dang. Got a link for that tweet? The game just got patched on my preloaded copy so here's hoping that improves the performance.

Deleted member 3040

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if I want to play the first game, is the PC or Switch version the way to go? No clue if they fixed the shoddy PC release, or if those issues extend to the Switch version.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So if I want to play the first game, is the PC or Switch version the way to go? No clue if they fixed the shoddy PC release, or if those issues extend to the Switch version.
Cant comment on if the PC ever got fixed, Switch wise I've had a couple of crashes in my 10+ hours so far, and performance on a handheld isn't great when driving in the more populated town areas but its perfectly playable, insides/mission areas tend to run much better as well.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Pc version runs at 60 FPS without issues which is a huge boon but requires a lot of tweaks for resolution/stability that you can find here and even then it will crash every 3-4 hours and you literally have to restart your computer to make it stable again. Idk playable if you save a lot and don't mind taking 20 minutes to set up the tweaks but it is real broken all around. Switch version runs like hot trash so there's no great version of the game.

Deleted member 3040

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pc version runs at 60 FPS without issues which is a huge boon but requires a lot of tweaks for resolution/stability that you can find here and even then it will crash every 3-4 hours and you literally have to restart your computer to make it stable again. Idk playable if you save a lot and don't mind taking 20 minutes to set up the tweaks. Switch version runs like hot trash
I swear, this game is cursed! And 2 seems messy too (on Switch at least).

Thanks to everyone answering. Not sure what to do.

Chemi_ro

Sep 6, 2019
Bay Area California

I recommend playing the original 360 Release on Xbox One as it is the most stable of the bunch. It will never crash and on Xbox One there's also steady framerate... but you have to deal with some wonky controls. Unfortunately with the PC port people's mileage will vary...some can't get it to run while others, myself included, can play it hours at a time with limited issues but the game will crash on you. The Switch version has some lag and it will crash on you after several hours of gameplay so you need to save often.

could it be that those cutscenes were pre-recorded videos? i know there's a couple of those in the game (it's obvious which ones from the video compression and the fact that york isn't in them cuz in the in-engine cutscenes his clothes are determined by the player). for those the audio has to be pre-recorded too and the levels can't be adjusted.

Yeah I think this is the case.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
The joy of Deadly Premonition is to go in blind not knowing what you're getting. For that reason I'll be avoiding all previews.