• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Has anybody heard anything about the review embargo? I saw Swery was talking about review codes on Twitter so I guess they're already out?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of the framerate, I hope the overall experience is at least on par with the first Deadly Premonition.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
LOgkLqV.jpg

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Prestige animation is animated at twos and here we have Sweary´s take on it. DP 2´s visual presentation again joined the quality anime club. 12 whole frames worth of quality every second! What more is needed? And the audio mix! Oh my lord. The audio even stops at random points. It was nice knowing you Sony and CD Project.
THE definitive game of this gen is a Nintendo exclusive and only 2 weeks worth of sleeps away. Another 10/10 tour de force. This and the Snyder Cut saved 2020.
giphy.gif

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I hope we get to do as many sick tricks while driving as last time. The world is York´s skate park:
SorePoliticalCoqui-size_restricted.gif
latest

Here is why I got DP1. Not Jim Sterling or anything else. A PS2/360 2007 trailer on Game Trailers was enough:
www.youtube.com

Rainy Woods TGS 2007 trailer (Deadly Premonition first trailer ever)

This is Rainy Woods, an upcoming PS3 and XBOX 360 survival horror.The game is developped by Access Games (Extermination and Spy Fiction on PS2) and has somet...
I was looking for that game every trade show coverage for 2 years! The original´s development process is a tale for the ages you all.

Talking while traversing is clearly back. I knew of every (B) movie in the original. Let´s which recommendations we´ll get this time. And how True Detectives S1 and Twin Peaks S3 will be "adapted".

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I do wish console manufacturers actually had some sort of quality control when clearly unfinished or broken games are going to be released on their system.
A game running at 5-10fps for extended sections is clearly not fit to be released.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
BMTJQ5P.gif

Simon is a real True Detective if you catch my drift. Not a joke. This character section says it all:
www.nintendo.co.uk

Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise

Help Special Agent Morgan solve a brand-new murder mystery in Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise, only for Nintendo Switch.
Japan has the same basic copyright laws as most developed nations btw. They don´t have a parody clause though.
I wonder if Sweary is a Fannibal. We shall know soon...

Edit: The game is 4992.00 MB. Very economical. Wait. Origins is 6626.00 MB. WHAT!?!
www.nintendo.co.uk

Deadly Premonition Origins

The mystery adventure "Deadly Premonition" comes to Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018
I don't know if it is because it is a prequel but York seems like he's more of a bonehead in this game than the first.

Jul 24, 2018
well he's 5 years younger, and just starting out in the FBI. he's older and more experienced in DP1.
True, but I just hate how he comes off as this typical Japanese protagonist who is a bit of a bonehead with a side character who has to play the straight man and call out his dumb antics. I don't know, I hope this isn't what he's like for most of the game.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Pros: Zydeco music, looks like Deadly Premonition

Cons: Framerate, hokey southern accents

Louisiana ain't the south, folks!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True, but I just hate how he comes off as this typical Japanese protagonist who is a bit of a bonehead with a side character who has to play the straight man and call out his dumb antics. I don't know, I hope this isn't what he's like for most of the game.
ah, i see what you mean. yeah i too hope he's not too much of a goofball. in the original he comes off as pretty serious in between moments of being odd and goofy.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
why would anyone care about reviews for this lol?

General reviews? Not really

Reviews from people who liked DP1 acknowledging it's flawed existence? Yes I'm very curious to see what they think of the sequel

And this isn't to dunk on general reviews, I'm sure most of them will accurately give the game mediocre scores. I'm curious if the people who are like "2/10 you NEED to play this game it's amazing" say the same about the sequel.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Just broke down and decided to preorder this. I kept saying I was gonna wait and see how playable it was but after a certain point I have to stop kidding myself and acknowledge that I'm going to play it either way lol

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
yeah but do those people get review copies? i have no interest what johnny normal at ign thinks of this.

Who knows, it's published by Nintendo who's generally pretty strict, but it's SWERWY who as I understand made a special edition of the original game that was sent out to people like Jim Sterling and Laura Dale.

What's the appeal of these games? This looks very rough, not just the frame rate.

The tl;dp version is that the game is this extremely weird experience with all these things in isolation should be bad, but come together in a strange way to make a compelling experience. It certainly helps that the story (of the original) is very compelling and heavily inspired by Twin Peaks. It's an amazing game to watch someone lets play/stream.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What's the appeal of these games? This looks very rough, not just the frame rate.

The story, the writing, and the characters are all genuinely fantastic. The quirkiness with the animations and some of the sillier dialogue add a really good sense of campiness to it too that actually works in its favor overall.

The framerate being crap is a negative though. People joke that it adds to the experience but it does not.

LifeLike

Oct 31, 2017
This thread is gold!! GOLD!
I didn't know anything about deadly premonition. Is this game supposed to be a joke or not? I'm confused.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
Holy crap I watched a review copy being played

The frame rate is just as bad as it seems if not worse

Despite this, i'm still very excited haha

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I am so tempted to play the first one before this comes out. I never have and just feel like I have to know why so many people go crazy over it.

How long would you say it is? And is playing it on Switch a bad idea?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am so tempted to play the first one before this comes out. I never have and just feel like I have to know why so many people go crazy over it.

How long would you say it is? And is playing it on Switch a bad idea?
it's ~20 hours for the main story, going for the side missions would add another 15 or so hours.
the switch version is decent (except the rare crashing here and there), the 360 version is still the most stable one. avoid the director's cut version.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Yeah the absolutely horrific performance issues of the original aren't why I liked it or appreciated it in any way. Totally unacceptable for a sequel to a surprise hit and will wait for the inevitable pc port and hope it's better than the first games port which could still run at 60 between the weird bugs.

10-15 FPS outdoors is not okay in 2020

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I've talked a bit with two people who've completed the game, I asked them for no spoilers and I won't give any of the even minor details due to NDA stuff (asked not to even share minor things, so I won't).

But the gist I've gotten is if you like Deadly Premonition and want more of it, you should be very happy with DP2. The story and characters is where DP2 really shines.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've talked a bit with two people who've completed the game, I asked them for no spoilers and I won't give any of the even minor details due to NDA stuff (asked not to even share minor things, so I won't).

But the gist I've gotten is if you like Deadly Premonition and want more of it, you should be very happy with DP2. The story and characters is where DP2 really shines.
should be an interesting review thread. just like the original, i expect really positive and really negative reviews.

Chuck795

May 7, 2020

Good to know! I hope they patch up the framerate, but I can live with it for the world of Deadly Premonition

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
should be an interesting review thread. just like the original, i expect really positive and really negative reviews.
I'm very interested too. I think the reviews won't be as over-the-board as DP1, there is some legitimate problems this has over the original 360 DP1 release, like as many in this thread are talking about technically the game is ROUGH, it sounds like it has the PS4 DP1 problem where in some areas the game runs a perfect 60fps, but then others (mainly the town streets) it'll fluctuate wildly. That's an obvious, actual problem that I can't see any reviewer even enjoying the game will be able to forgive, so I doubt even from people loving it we'll see many 10/10s when there is an obvious huge technical problem with the game that actively hampers the gameplay experience.

The bright side; even though this is minor stuff I promised I wouldn't spill any beans, but the gameplay itself has seen improvements since the original, other areas it's roughly the same but with small improvements.

It sounds like a case if you can forgive the performance, liked DP1, and care about the world, characters, story, you'll be pleased.

This said, from those asking if they should play DP1 before DP2, the answer is : Yes, you should. The story of DP1 is directly connected to DP2. DP2 doesn't tell a stand-alone story, it's very much a continuation (which should be expected, as it's both a prequel and sequel to the first game).

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the frame rate couldn't be that bad outdoors then I watched it lmao

Is this game liked ironically or is it really a good game? (Serious question, I haven't played the first game)

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the frame rate couldn't be that bad outdoors then I watched it lmao

Is this game liked ironically or is it really a good game? (Serious question, I haven't played the first game)
Deadly Premonition 1 is both legitmately good, and in some parts so-bad-its-good. It's not just ironically good, it has legitimately interesting ideas, actual good characters, a weird but good story and a lot of heart. It's innovative and creative (even though it wears some of its inspirations, like Twin Peaks, Resident Evil 4, Shenmue, on its sleeves). But it is the kind of game where it is both intentionally and unintentionally hilarious at the same time, but more than funny, it actually can be legitimately emotional or thought-provoking.

I like to describe it as a "rough actually good game, with some bad parts that sometimes are so-bad-it's-good, sometimes just bad, but very often charming and with a lot of heart."