• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Is the jank a SWERY thing? Was D4 and The Missing like this too? Do peeps just expect it (and tolerate it) from his stuff?

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i know this is going to come as a shock to an enthusiast forum who jerks off to DF analysis (no disrespect to DF, they do fantastic work for those who care about such things and the man is extremely kind) but I imagine most of us who are fans of Deadly Premonition are happy that Deadly Premonition 2 is simply happening. Shocking, I know! Digital media enthusiasts HATE this one weird trick, click to find out more!

Gimme Deadly Premonition 2 over the next hollow AAA visual "feast" any day.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Frame rate is terrible, but I'm still excited. Swery has a great track record and as long as there is nothing game-breaking, I'll get over any technical issues.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
The Missing had some dodgy performance moments on Switch, not sure about other consoles.

I really wonder how expensive/time consuming it would be to have someone/some team clean up the code or whatever to polish the framerate a bit. I know nothing about the cost of these things.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I forgot this comes out soon. I need to finish Origins which I started playing on Switch. Such an awesome and quirky ass game.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I swear I never even considered this as a possibility until Oregano joked about it in the other thread, now my life will never be complete unless by some miracle this happens.
There are enough weird minigames, modes of transport, makeshift weapons and supernatural powers to build a moveset, methinks.

I also want to see Inkling, Isabelle, etc, duking it out in Greenvale.

SpookyTango

Mar 1, 2020
Hopefully frame rate during Skateboarding can be tightened up, but looks amazing otherwise.

Also, I don't think you'll be driving a car around in this game as we've seen no indication of one.

Last edited:

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I expected the game to not run great, though a bit worse than I was expecting.

That said, my main take away is I still really like York's character from the snippet, I like the side characters we see, Patti is actually a great foil for York, I like the music I heard & I like the setting (the bowling alley diner & voodoo shop are neat), so I'm actually more excited.

It looks unapologetically like Deadly Premonition. I see a few here say it looks like it's, "trying too hard to recapture the first game," but I disagree. There's actually difference in the structure from the first game, and what's here seems more the team knows part of the appeal of the first game rather than trying too hard. I found everything enjoyable personally as a big fan of the first game.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Whew that skateboarding framerate is rooough. Actually, most of the frame rate and animations are questionable especially when coming out of a cinema along with a janky camera. And awkward pauses... oh my.

Considered getting this, but it looks like it would frustrate me.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I just bought the first game on Switch, I really want to see why it's so beloved.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I am extremely happy that a prominent element of this game seems to be York bonding with a weird child. I really like the look of this. It looks like a great iteration on DP that captures a similar spirit but does something different with it. Swery's games have gotten consistently better so I'm super amped.

Zaverious

Oct 25, 2017
Being happy this game exists and acknowledging a low budget doesn't matter, you cannot defend that frame rate. I would wait on a patch that greatly improves it before purchasing this. Just ridiculous.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Good god is that performance bad. I mean I had low expectations but yikes. Sound mixing was off. It was really weird characters talking to each other with a quiet backround. Very not DP there. That frame rate is really not acceptable and I can tolerate a lot. I mean I'm there for the characters and story but geez I can already tell their gonna fish me for a PS4/PS5 version down the line with the key benchmarks of better performance and a stable (Maybe not even 30fps) framrate as a selling feature. Which would be not good in comparison to it's peers and I will bite too.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When he got on that skate omg

tenor.gif

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
couldn't help myself and watched it.

honestly, it looks amazing and exactly what i would want out of the sequel, except the bad frame rate (not as bad as reading the thread made me thought it would be) in the open world. maybe something that an eventual PC release will fix :) , but it's in no way a dealbreaker for me, i'm still super hyped. the models and the interior details are a decent step up from the original, and what little of the music that can be heard sounds great, another good soundtrack from Okubo, i hope.

- i'm a little confused, the first teaser trailer makes it sound like Lise was a girl who was murdered in 1943, but the conversation with the lady at the diner makes it sound like Lise is one of the victims in 2005. maybe two Lises? and her mother, Galena (with the dragonfly necklace) seems to be the other corpse we see in the recent trailer (red dress, red heels)

- Mrs. carpenter seems... lovely. log lady pot lady vibes, love how dramatic she bowls. looks like Le Carre is another town with a lot of interesting characters (The Mirror, Galena)

- despite the bad frame rate, skateboarding seems like a lot of fun, and the load time when leaving the diner was pretty quick. in the original it takes a while when entering or exiting buildings.

- the UI seems sleek, i like the quest update pop-ups (tho it's a bit annoying that there's another redundant "quests updated" pop up after each update. nice map and the quest markers too, seems like you can zoom out in the map this time!

- some music from the original game are back! "comic relief" and "in a jazzy mood" can be heard in this preview.

and as a few other people have said, i roll my eyes at the opinion that the original was good because of the jank. it was good DESPITE of it. it's a testament to how good the story, character, and the atmosphere of the game are that people still remember it and talk about it a decade later, even when the game was technically a mess. it would have been a better game without those issues, and for the sequel the jank isn't gonna add to the charm. it just looks like another charming game from swery that's unfortunately suffering from technical issues still.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I honestly think a lot of people who say that DP is some kind of "so bad its good" game like that movie The Room haven't actually played it. The game is great because it has a great story, lovely characters, funny dialogue, very good OST and an open-world that while "empty" is kind of reminiscent of Shenmue, due to the memorable NPCs with specific schedules. Its great despite the jank. I didn't want DP2 to run like crap, i don't think its part of the "appeal" or whatever. That said, i still think the game will be amazing and i will be there day one.
Also I would like to signal boost this. The narrative of DP being some kind of unintentional funny accident is bizarre and incredibly inaccurate. DP is good because it has a lot of good and unique things about it. It's bad because it's a bad and janky video game. It's not good because it's bad.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That skateboard sound effect is going to get old real fast. It wouldn't be a Swery game without obnoxious, grating sounds. I cancelled my Switch order a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I'll get a PS5 Director's Cut or something.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I really hope Swery doesn't bungle dealing with voodoo, black culture in New Orleans, etc. That seems like dangerous territory.

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Framerate is bad, yes....but I don't care, everything else looks and sounds exactly what I hoped for in a sequel. I'm more hyped then before to be honest.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
couldn't help myself and watched it.

honestly, it looks amazing and exactly what i would want out of the sequel, except the bad frame rate (not as bad as reading the thread made me thought it would be) in the open world. maybe something that an eventual PC release will fix :) , but it's in no way a dealbreaker for me, i'm still super hyped. the models and the interior details are a decent step up from the original, and what little of the music that can be heard sounds great, another good soundtrack from Okubo, i hope.

and as a few other people have said, i roll my eyes at the opinion that the original was good because of the jank. it was good DESPITE of it. it's a testament to how good the story, character, and the atmosphere of the game are that people still remember it and talk about it a decade later, even when the game was technically a mess. it would have been a better game without those issues, and for the sequel the jank isn't gonna add to the charm. it just looks like another charming game from swery that's unfortunately suffering from technical issues still.

Does it really look amazing though? I mean, a game can be janky and be good. But is striving for jankiness really what you wanted out of a sequel to the game?
Couldn't it look, feel and play better this time?

Btw, you can still check the video on IGN's site for anyone that can't see it.

Oct 27, 2017

That said, my main take away is I still really like York's character from the snippet, I like the side characters we see, Patti is actually a great foil for York, I like the music I heard & I like the setting (the bowling alley diner & voodoo shop are neat), so I'm actually more excited.

It looks unapologetically like Deadly Premonition. I see a few here say it looks like it's, "trying too hard to recapture the first game," but I disagree. There's actually difference in the structure from the first game, and what's here seems more the team knows part of the appeal of the first game rather than trying too hard. I found everything enjoyable personally as a big fan of the first game.
Wasn't going to watch it cause I wanted to go in blind but yeah this is how I feel.

Don't really care much about the frame rate if the story and everything else is as good as the original. Seems like they succeeded so I am happy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it really look amazing though? I mean, a game can be janky and be good. But is striving for jankiness really what you wanted out of a sequel to the game?
Couldn't it look, feel and play better this time?
i really don't think they're striving for jankiness. i think the cutscenes and interior scenes the diner and the magic shop looked pretty good and had consistent frame rate, i like the voice acting (tho the audio mixing is a bit messy), and i didn't think the frame rate in open world was THAT bad. it's not the best but not unplayable or anything. i think they're just biting more than they can chew, and their technical abilities aren't a match for their ambitions. i can't really fault them for that too much, but of course that's just my opinion which is perhaps a bit clouded by my excitement for the game.
and yeah i really thought it looked great. the detail and character models are a good step up from the original (honestly, check the original. there's no location that looks as good and detailed as the diner and magic shop).

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

well said.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i really don't think they're striving for jankiness. i think the cutscenes and interior scenes the diner and the magic shop looked pretty good and had consistent frame rate, i like the voice acting (tho the audio mixing is a bit messy), and i didn't think the frame rate in open world was THAT bad. it's not the best but not unplayable or anything. i think they're just biting more than they can chew, and their technical abilities aren't a match for their ambitions. i can't really fault them for that too much, but of course that's just my opinion which is perhaps a bit clouded by my excitement for the game.
and yeah i really thought it looked great. the detail and character models are a good step up from the original (honestly, check the original. there's no location that looks as good and detailed as the diner and magic shop).
Maybe I worded it wrong, when I said "striving for jankiness". When I said it, I was more talking about the fanbase, if the fanbase wants the sequel to be equally janky.

I get that fans get excited for a continuation to the story of course. And I'm happy that this seems to make the fanbase happy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I worded it wrong, when I said "striving for jankiness". When I said it, I was more talking about the fanbase, if the fanbase wants the sequel to be equally janky.
i really don't think fans who really got the point of the original were asking for the sequel to be janky too, or are celebrating the jank here. maybe it's from people who watched a let's play or something, or people really didn't like the original in the first place and were just amused by its flaws and looked at it as a "so bad it's good" game.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
i know this is going to come as a shock to an enthusiast forum who jerks off to DF analysis (no disrespect to DF, they do fantastic work for those who care about such things and the man is extremely kind) but I imagine most of us who are fans of Deadly Premonition are happy that Deadly Premonition 2 is simply happening. Shocking, I know! Digital media enthusiasts HATE this one weird trick, click to find out more!

Gimme Deadly Premonition 2 over the next hollow AAA visual "feast" any day.

Yeah, for real. Can't wait for this game to completely wreck TLOU2 for me lmao.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why people are acting brand new. Were they seriously expecting this to be a technical masterpiece? lol