• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
it baffles me that it has 0 dust protection. I mean, the entire thing looks incredibly designed expect for this...

Nov 5, 2017
it baffles me that it has 0 dust protection. I mean, the entire thing looks incredibly designed expect for this...

Yup. Apple designers work in a bubble and totally forget the real world implications their designs will be subject to, until the product is released to the public and the public voices their outcry.

We will know in 1-2 years' time how dusty this machine gets and how easy/difficult it is to remove the dust from those immaculately designed holes.

Feb 1, 2018
All those little cheese particles stuck in the spherical lattice pattern triggers my OCD

There's an interview with one of the designers and they said they don't have a dust filter because it would affect noise levels, and this thing will be used at recording studios and movie sets where that would be an issue.

But yeah, time will tell on dust buildup inside.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Yup. Apple designers work in a bubble and totally forget the real world implications their designs will be subject to, until the product is released to the public and the public voices their outcry.

We will know in 1-2 years' time how dusty this machine gets and how easy/difficult it is to remove the dust from those immaculately designed holes.

🙄 They are going to sell like 5 of these.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

If it's whatever, why comment my post?

----

Anyway, as for dust protection - I guess we'll see how the Mac Pro fares after a few years. I assume that they did test it, and that the fact it can be cleaned easily makes this a non-issue, but I will be curious to see how well it does after a while.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
All those little cheese particles stuck in the spherical lattice pattern triggers my OCD

There's an interview with one of the designers and they said they don't have a dust filter because it would affect noise levels, and this thing will be used at recording studios and movie sets where that would be an issue.

But yeah, time will tell on dust buildup inside.
Yeah the dust filters on my PC are loud as fuck. /s

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Spending $20K to own...who exactly?

These videos are stupid, and the people who make them are stupid. Humanity is a waste.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Spending $20K to own...who exactly?

These videos are stupid, and the people who make them are stupid. Humanity is a waste.
Lmao. Always this salty when it comes to silly humour poking fun at a trillion dollar company?

Humanity is a waste, but not because of this shit. Lighten up.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Lmao. Always this salty when it comes to silly humour poking fun at a trillion dollar company?

I could care less about Apple being made fun of, it's just the idea of rich white people with enough money to waste doing stupid things like this "for the lulz"...to make even more money that really seems idiotic to me. Just wasteful immature behavior from privileged YouTubers who are beyond making real content anymore.

Feb 1, 2018
Yeah the dust filters on my PC are loud as fuck. /s

One advantage of noisy fans: They can handle the impedance (resistance) caused by filtration systems, which some computers use to keep debris away from the vital components. The Pro and Pro Display do not have these kinds of filters. "We don't have a need for that," Ternus says.

"We create geometries that can deal with a certain amount of material getting on them," Ligtenberg says. "And we go through testing to issue the lifespan of the system."

I know you don't care or don't want to care because HAHA APPLE SUCKS but here you go, Source

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I could care less about Apple being made fun of, it's just the idea of rich white people with enough money to waste doing stupid things like this "for the lulz"...to make even more money that really seems idiotic to me. Just wasteful immature behavior from privileged YouTubers who are beyond making real content anymore.
Oh, I see. In that case I can see where you are coming from and understand it.

I still don't think this is a reason to get that worked up, but I understand it.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Oh, I see. In that case I can see where you are coming from and understand it.

I still don't think this is a reason to get that worked up, but I understand it.

To be clear, my "humanity is a waste" sentiment is really just the build up of many things that spills over to other facets of life in rather dramatic fashion :P

Feb 1, 2018

If it makes you feel better, most reviewers have their unpaid assistants/interns return everything they review the next day. They can't afford $20K computers.

They're just monetizing the sentiment of whatever new gadget is popular at the moment, and then move onto the next one. "content creators"

You should be mad at youtube/google and their ad revenue systems more than anything else.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
iFixit became clowns in my opinion. They think they are smart. Everything they do is so cynical, I don't even watch their videos any more. I don't see this as funny.
iFixit just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Apple Fan culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Android land where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Apple Fan culture, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Apple public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to look at iFixit videos, nor will they purchase any of iFixit's gadgets. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but iFixit has alienated an entire market with this move.

iFixit , publicly apologize and take down this cheese grating video or you can kiss your business goodbye.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
iFixit just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Apple Fan culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Android land where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Apple Fan culture, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Apple public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to look at iFixit videos, nor will they purchase any of iFixit's gadgets. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but iFixit has alienated an entire market with this move.

iFixit , publicly apologize and take down this cheese grating video or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Hahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahah post of the day (I understood that reference) :D

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I honestly don't get the dust problem, the thing is so easy to open and access, just take the thing out, blow it with compressed air or vaccuum it, and put it back in...

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I know you don't care or don't want to care because HAHA APPLE SUCKS but here you go, Source
I'd love to read the full article but can't because of a paywall, but I don't see where in your excerpt it explains how dust filters can be noisy. I'd love to be enlightened though.

And anyone who looks at my purchase history wouldn't question my (mostly positive) opinion of Apple, but its the internet and assuming bad things of people is the cool thing to do I guess.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to read the full article but can't because of a paywall, but I don't see where in your excerpt it explains how dust filters can be noisy. I'd love to be enlightened though.

And anyone who looks at my purchase history wouldn't question my (mostly positive) opinion of Apple, but its the internet and assuming bad things of people is the cool thing to do I guess.

Filters require moving air more quickly to accomplish the same amount of cooling. Moving air more quickly would be noisier because it means making fans run faster.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Hope they really clean it thoroughly.

Otherwise the cheese smell will get sucked through the entire machine and out the back and they'll hate life (and cheese) while using it.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
This video won't age well.

Edit: if it wasn't clear, this is a cheese joke.

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Man, some of the people in here. Lighten up.

iFixit is a fucking electronics repair company. They fix electronics, make guides on how to tear apart and fix electronics and sell tools to fix electronics. Them screwing with a machine during a teardown is perfectly in line with what their business does.

Not to mention, it's a fucking Apple product. Apple, a company that prides itself on design to the extreme and often fights to the extreme to prevent people from being able to repair their own electronics. There are so many ways you can poke fun of them with, especially when they bring it on themselves by building cheese graters into their machine.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

iFixit is a fucking electronics repair company. They fix electronics, make guides on how to tear apart and fix electronics and sell tools to fix electronics. Them screwing with a machine during a teardown is perfectly in line with what their business does.

Not to mention, it's a fucking Apple product. Apple, a company that prides itself on design to the extreme and often fights to the extreme to prevent people from being able to repair their own electronics. There are so many ways you can poke fun of them with,especially when they bring it on themselves by building a cheese grater into their machine.

I find it dumb because everyone's acting like they didn't already have a desktop tower people called the cheesegrater for 15 years before this one.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hah what the hell is up with this thread? Some of you all need to take a break from the internet.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

Not to mention, it's a fucking Apple product. Apple, a company that prides itself on design to the extreme and often fights to the extreme to prevent people from being able to repair their own electronics. There are so many ways you can poke fun of them with,especially when they bring it on themselves by building a cheese grater into their machine.

They used to make informative videos and teardowns, now they mostly ride the hate train (not just for Apple) for clicks. This video is a good example - it literally tells us nothing. Why would anyone defend them? It's just an opinion. If you like this kind of content, by all means enjoy it.

Hah what the hell is up with this thread? Some of you all need to take a break from the internet.

Ok, but will you stay on the Internet while we're on a break just to make sure everything is fine? Cool.