• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Is it really a hot take to say that if you buy a physical version of a game, you should expect to use it as you would any other physical game, regardless of upgrades? As others have pointed out, if you were able to get a digital version of FFVIIR Intergrade via the PS4 disc version, you could then just sell the PS4 disc or share it with friends to get infinite copies of the game per account.
I don't think you grasp the complaint. People aren't asking to be able to play a digital version stemming from a disc license they've since given away or sold, they're asking to be able to play a digital version stemming from a digital license they have access to through paying SIE a subscription fee.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Is it really a hot take to say that if you buy a physical version of a game, you should expect to use it as you would any other physical game, regardless of upgrades? As others have pointed out, if you were able to get a digital version of FFVIIR Intergrade via the PS4 disc version, you could then just sell the PS4 disc or share it with friends to get infinite copies of the game per account.

I don't think you understand what is going on here.

Just recently, they let the version of Integrade that was free with PS + upgrade to the PS5 version, something that was restricted before.

PS+ subscribers who have already upgraded the physical game can't upgrade this "free" digital version.

How in the world are you going from that to "free digital for everyone?"

People are not saying that you should be able to pop in the disk and get a free digital upgrade that no longer needs the disk.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if anyone posted it yet, but there is definitely a work around to this issue for the non-ps+ version, which also had the same type of problem. I bought the digital version of FFVII when it was on sale around the time Intergrade came out but it was after launch. And I had done the physical copy upgrade. I went through a very very long process with customer service and they didn't help.

However, I was able to find an option on the web version of the PlayStation store that had a digital version of the upgrade as an option that did not appear on the PS5 itself.

Before this I did uninstall everything as well. But not sure if that mattered.

I can definitely confirm that it is possible to have both the digital and physical upgrades though. They were actually going to refund me for the digital purchase since I couldn't upgrade it after upgrading the physical copy.

Could be different with the PS+ version specifically. But even before that this was a huge pain in the ass and you literally couldn't do it on the console itself. So I wouldn't doubt a similar workaround could work.
Will try to tweak tomorow : I have a PS5 physical version but also the old ps4 dic registered on my account, as the PS+ redeemed.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you grasp the complaint. People aren't asking to be able to play a digital version stemming from a disc license they've since given away or sold, they're asking to be able to play a digital version stemming from a digital license they have access to through paying SIE a subscription fee.
Perhaps I have misunderstood here, but is there not a way to upgrade the PS4 disc copy to the PS5 version? Why not just do that?

Isn't the complaint that you cannot get a digital version of Intergrade through the disc (i.e. you can upgrade to it, but still need to insert the disc)?

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps I have misunderstood here, but is there not a way to upgrade the PS4 disc copy to the PS5 version? Why not just do that?
Because people in this thread have either: sold or given away their disc copy but, and this part is key, have the right to a digital license because they redeemed it through and remain a subscriber to PS Plus, or because they just want the convenience of not getting and inserting the disc every time they want to play. Either seems reasonable to me

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Because people in this thread have either: sold or given away their disc copy but, and this part is key, have the right to a digital license because they redeemed it through and remain a subscriber to PS Plus, or because they just want the convenience. Either seems reasonable to me
So, just to make sure I have it right, this issue applies to the very specific use-case of "owned.played FFVIIR (PS4 Disc) at some point, and no longer have it, but would like to download the PS+ version of FFVIIR (PS4 Digital) and upgrade it to Intergrade (PS5 Digital)"? This specific user is unable to download the PS+ version of the game?

Or is it only if you've already upgraded the disc version?

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I couldn't even upgrade the PS plus version on PS5 until I clicked on the search bar and the one icon that popped up under trending is the only one that allows me to upgrade. Every other version being on the store or the web store doesn't allow purchase.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
So, just to make sure I have it right, this issue applies to the very specific use-case of "owned.played FFVIIR (PS4 Disc) at some point, and no longer have it, but would like to download the PS+ version of FFVIIR (PS4 Digital) and upgrade it to Intergrade (PS5 Digital)"? This specific user is unable to download the PS+ version of the game?

Or is it only if you've already upgraded the disc version?

If you've upgraded the disc version, you are unable to upgrade the PS+ digital version. There are lots of reasons why you might want to, the main one for me being that it's far more convenient than having to have the disc in the drive. I'd also like to sell the PS4 disc I have and take advantage of the same free upgrade others now get to enjoy.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
If you've upgraded the disc version, you are unable to upgrade the PS+ digital version. There are lots of reasons why you might want to, the main one for me being that it's far more convenient than having to have the disc in the drive. I'd also like to sell the PS4 disc I have and take advantage of the same free upgrade others now get to enjoy.
Okay, so this is a problem if you bought the PS4 version on disc, upgraded it, sold it, and now want to upgrade via the PS4 version that is free digitally via this month's offering on PS+, which was recently made upgradeable?

That is a very niche, but unfortunate scenario I suppose. Call me a boomer if you like, but if you're going to go through the trouble of upgrading the disc already, I'd just say keep the disc.

Explanation of why this is an issue

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Okay, so this is a problem if you bought the PS4 version on disc, upgraded it, sold it, and now want to upgrade via the PS4 version that is free digitally via this month's offering on PS+, which was recently made upgradeable?

That is a very niche, but unfortunate scenario I suppose. Call me a boomer if you like, but if you're going to go through the trouble of upgrading the disc already, I'd just say keep the disc.
It's not this months PS+ offering, it was included months ago. People are paying for PS+, they want to be able to upgrade the copy they got months ago to the PS5 version just like everyone else can. But they can't because they had the audacity to buy the game at some point.

They're paying the same fee I am but I can upgrade my copy whilst they can't. Despite paying more money than I have they're losing out, hardly seems fair and is why folks are understandably complaining.

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It's not this months PS+ offering, it was included months ago. People are paying for PS+, they want to be able to upgrade the copy they got months ago to the PS5 version just like everyone else can. But they can't because they had the audacity to buy the game at some point.

They're paying the same fee I am but I can upgrade my copy whilst they can't. Despite paying more money than I have they're losing out, hardly seems fair and is why folks are understandably complaining.
Thank you for understanding the situation.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
Christ I can't believe they got this wrong again - but also, of course they did. I've sold on my disk copy a while ago but wanted to redeem the upgrade if I fancy a replay some time. Guess that won't be happening.

Aug 9, 2018

Regardless, even if it is not a common scenario, Sony should still fix it. I would imagine there are people who sold the disc after learning that they can now upgrade the PS+ version of FFVII:R and then was surprised that they can not upgrade it because they already upgraded their disc copy.

So now they have to re-buy the disc again which may cost more than what they sold their copy for. Not to mention the hassle of it all.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
One of the benefits of receiving a digital copy of a games from PS+/GwG if you've already bought it on disc, is no longer needing to own the disc. And so it stands that a bunch of people that bought the disc version and then upgraded it, may well not own said disc anymore.

It's valid to complain about. If you can admit it's "shitty on their end", then why would you expect no complaints about it? It should just work...

I bought the Deluxe for 80€ on day 1. I also bought the Yuffie DLC at full price. My first thought was that I can sell my copy it and just upgrade the PS+ version. Looks like it's a bit more complicated but we already have a work around in this very thread so I fail to understand the panic. These kind of threads can be used for some stealth console wars. Or at least sometimes that's the feeling I get.

I actually think I would get pretty good money for the Deluxe which is in pristine condition. So I'm pretty much a text book example of the issue discussed in the thread and not someone who just came here to post dUmB DeLiVeRy sUcKs. Yet my main takeaway is that people need to make more informed purchases and need to accept the fact that early adopters ALWAYS get the worst deal. You supported the game at day 1. You paid 70-80€. Yet the people who only use their console for mainstream online games like FIFA, GTAV or CoD are the ones that get the game for free a few months after launch. Now I'm left to deal with shitty game licence issues if I want to sell my game and everybody else just gets the PS5 version. All because I bought it day 1 so I got the worse deal. People need the accept that every game they buy at full price will pop up as a freebie sooner or later.

Also I wanted to add that I work in technical support for a multinational company currently and I think this 'Oh my god just fix this shit now' mentality is just childish. It's a single purchase that gives you multiple licenses and things will get complicated when subscriptions and retroactive upgrades for every different physical and digital SKU gets involved. These things can get messy from a technical standpoint and will probably lead to some unexpected technical issues. It doesn't surprise me at all that their infrastructure wasn't ready for this. The good thing is that this will probably reveal several shortcomings for the people working on the Store. I assure you that they are not some evil businessman in a suit. They're just normal people.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Hey all, I bought the PS4 version and upgraded to the PS5 version; I finished it on PS4. With that said, I cannot use my PS4 save for some reason. When I go into the game, I give myself the option, but I can't find it. I downloaded it from the cloud and used the PS4 save of the game on PS5 with using the PS4 version of FF7R.

Is there some reason why? Is it because I finished it before the PS5 version? I am lost here and don't understand how it can be so damn hard to bring down my PS4 cloud save to the PS5 version of the game.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It's cheaper 99% of the time and you still have the option of reselling, dumbass.

See how stupid your point sounds? Now that the option of convenience has been introduced to PS+ members on PS5, why wouldn't they take it?

The option of convenience was not introduced with the PS+ version. Folks already decided not to take the option of convenience by going physical and then using the PS5 upgrade for it.

If you want to be able to pay for the upgrade again for your PS+ version just to not have to put in the disc or because you gave that disc away/traded it in, I'm sorry, you're a dumbass.

You're not entitled to the same upgraded version of the game you paid for as the one you redeemed for free as part of a service like PS+.

For the love of god read further in threads before quote posting and replying. The poster might've just changed their stance since then.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, I bought the PS4 version and upgraded to the PS5 version; I finished it on PS4. With that said, I cannot use my PS4 save for some reason. When I go into the game, I give myself the option, but I can't find it. I downloaded it from the cloud and used the PS4 save of the game on PS5 with using the PS4 version of FF7R.

Is there some reason why? Is it because I finished it before the PS5 version? I am lost here and don't understand how it can be so damn hard to bring down my PS4 cloud save to the PS5 version of the game.
Load the save on PS4, then make a new save. Its possible your save is from before the patch that enabled this.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I bought the Deluxe for 80€ on day 1. I also bought the Yuffie DLC at full price. My first thought was that I can sell my copy it and just upgrade the PS+ version. Looks like it's a bit more complicated but we already have a work around in this very thread so I fail to understand the panic. These kind of threads can be used for some stealth console wars. Or at least sometimes that's the feeling I get.

I actually think I would get pretty good money for the Deluxe which is in pristine condition. So I'm pretty much a text book example of the issue discussed in the thread and not someone who just came here to post dUmB DeLiVeRy sUcKs. Yet my main takeaway is that people need to make more informed purchases and need to accept the fact that early adopters ALWAYS get the worst deal. You supported the game at day 1. You paid 70-80€. Yet the people who only use their console for mainstream online games like FIFA, GTAV or CoD are the ones that get the game for free a few months after launch. Now I'm left to deal with shitty game licence issues if I want to sell my game and everybody else just gets the PS5 version. All because I bought it day 1 so I got the worse deal. People need the accept that every game they buy at full price will pop up as a freebie sooner or later.

Also I wanted to add that I work in technical support for a multinational company currently and I think this 'Oh my god just fix this shit now' mentality is just childish. It's a single purchase that gives you multiple licenses and things will get complicated when subscriptions and retroactive upgrades for every different physical and digital SKU gets involved. These things can get messy from a technical standpoint and will probably lead to some unexpected technical issues. It doesn't surprise me at all that their infrastructure wasn't ready for this. The good thing is that this will probably reveal several shortcomings for the people working on the Store. I assure you that they are not some evil businessman in a suit. They're just normal people.

If the suggested workaround actually does work (I don't think anyone in here has yet confirmed), then that's great. However, a workaround for something of this nature should not be required in the first place, and will likely remain unknown to a whole bunch of people that would otherwise require it. All the posts up to mine that you've quoted came prior to any workaround being suggested, and in similar PSN situations there often haven't been any workarounds that solved such issues (such as playing a PS Now copy of a Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown overwriting my PS+ license for that game).

Sure, threads that shine a light on some negative aspect of any platform's functionality will always have some openings for subtle console-warring... but that's not a good reason to try and stifle what is generally more likely to be legitimate criticism. Nobody in here is really "panicking", that's an entirely dramatic portrayal of a number of people simply stating a given situation sucks. It was valid for people to complain about the PS+ version being left out in the cold for the upgrade in the first place, and it's similarly valid to complain that their later move to rectify that still manages to inadvertently screw a segment of players over (and in this case, it's those that actually paid more that get punished). I'd argue posters that come into the thread to dismiss these criticisms and paint those complaining as entitled whingers are far more likely to be doing so for console war reasons than those complaining are.

I currently work a DevOps position for my company, so it's not as though I don't also realise that things can be more complicated than simply "fix it!" behind the scenes. But you can't expect end-users who have no view into what the backend workings of a system are to give much of a crap about the specifics of why it doesn't work in the most logical fashion, or any poor early implementation decisions that lead to it. Sure, don't go cursing out a support rep, because yes, they are just human, almost certainly can't actually do anything to help you, and had no part in creating the system in the first place. Calling out Sony the corporation on the other hand shouldn't be hurting anybody's feelings.

If the digital game and the physical game are two independent SKUs, then the upgrades also should be, and there should be no problems claiming for both. It's not the end users place to figure out why it doesn't work that way, all they know is they've paid the same (and more) than others that can upgrade, but they're now not able to. That's not typical early adopter pains... they got the PS+ version at the same time as everyone else.

The option of convenience was not introduced with the PS+ version. Folks already decided not to take the option of convenience by going physical and then using the PS5 upgrade for it.

If you want to be able to pay for the upgrade again for your PS+ version just to not have to put in the disc or because you gave that disc away/traded it in, I'm sorry, you're a dumbass.

You're not entitled to the same content, DLC, MTX, etc in a version of the game you paid for as the one you redeemed for free as part of a service like PS+.

The option of convenience is inherently given with EVERY PS+ version of a game. It's a long established expectation that if you're effectively given a free digital copy of a game as part of the sub's offerings that you previously bought on disc, you can:

A) Stop fishing the disc out to play it in the future
B) Sell the disc version and play the digital copy going forwards instead

Nobody is expecting to PAY for any upgrade again. The upgrade is free. Your argument for entitlement is completely off base... the people that have no issues with this upgrade are those that paid NOTHING extra outside of their PS+ sub to play it. You shouldn't be entitled to less, because you paid more. That's stupid.

Buying a physical copy of a game generally does not forfeit your ability to own that same game in a digital manner later down the line. This scenario is an anomaly, and not one the users should be blamed for not predicting. You asked why someone would buy a digital copy in the first place. The reason is often because it's cheaper, and they can simply sell the physical copy and buy/receive an equivalent digital copy later down the line. This works in nearly all cases, and should be the case here too.

DogFacePig

Oct 27, 2017
Customer support told me to contact Square Enix about the about the issue.
How is this SE fault?
It's the store listing of the product.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
You're not entitled to the same upgraded version of the game you paid for as the one you redeemed for free as part of a service like PS+.

Right, but you're entitled to the upgrade of the digital PS+ version of the game because that's something you're supposed to get with your subscription.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

Whether or not you own and upgraded a physical version should have ZERO consequence to the PS+ version. They are separate products. =

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

PS+ PS4 version is upgradable to the PS5 version for free.

BranCrackr

Oct 4, 2019
Some people on Reddit have managed to get refunds on the disc upgrade so they can get the PS+ upgrade. Absolutely ridiculous.

Not worth the trouble for me since I won't be able to use my disc for the PS5 version if my sub expires

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Is it really such an imposition to put the disc in the drive?

I realize incessantly whining about inconsequential shit is a resetera tradition, but take a break. It's the holidays.

C'mon guys, don't be corporate shills. Neither Square-Enix or Sony couldn't care less about your asses but the money in your wallets.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019

Why are you so grumpy? There is zero reason to call people names. Also reread more of the thread because you still have a gap in understanding.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand why it happening but it's no less confusing. Disc owners basically upgraded to PS5 but given the digital version. So they won't give you a second digital copy. I'll be curious to know if Square supports Smart Delivery because I can imagine it being just as confusing.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I have wasted enough of my time reading through this confusing mess, let alone being the person trying to get it to work or trying to understand why it doesn't work.

This is all bullshit, regardless of if people are coming across as entitled or spoiled or as boomers. These arguments about upgrade paths shouldn't be happening at all cause this shouldn't be this complicated.

I hope they fix this soon, there are so many better arguments to waste our time on!

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm starting to suspect Sony had some issues with license and entitlement management.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
As Playstation 4 Disc owner with the upgrade you already own the PS5 Digital Download that requires the license from the Disc to run.

I don't think that they will give away extra licenses for this. I think the need to delete the PS5 version from the account first to work this way.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to suspect Sony had some issues with license and entitlement management.
Reading this thread title numerous times, it just hit me this is what I was talking about with the pros of the orig XBO policies. Disc to digital license transfer. I was able to do this seamlessly with Watch Dogs on XBO when it was a GwG game and I had the disc.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, could have something to do with not having the DLC allowable to be tied to two different products or something, even if they are now allowing the PS+ version to be upgradeable. Sucks for those who already did it earlier and hopefully they can "fix" it, but if not, oh well. Just gonna have to continue dealing with my disc drive sounds. LOL

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Xbox's smart delivery not being a marketing gimmick still gets me. Such a simple and elegant system and Sony just does not do the same for some reason.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Basically, this seems like it has happened because the way PSN is set up it may as well be duct taped together. So what I gather:

Game comes out on PS plus way back in March this year for PS4, Sony say it won't be eligible for free upgrade to PS5 version(which released in June) but anyone who owns the physical/digital copy already will be eligible.

People use their existing PS4 physical copy/buy one just to upgrade to PS5 version when it comes out.

People who added PS plus version to their library get told they're eligible for a free upgrade now, in December. Only those who had upgraded a physical version already, probably way back in June are now locked out from having a more convenient method of playing the game because reasons.

Does get me wondering though: What would happen if the complete opposite was to happen? Say you upgrade the PS+ version to PS5 just fine then have your PS+ sub run out, would you then be locked out of upgrading a physical PS4 copy?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru

What the hell is this post? How is people asking for access to a feature/bonus that has been announced and they're paying for being a dumbass? Fuck, I prefer physical media, but if I'm gifted a digital copy then I'll go with that one for convenience while keeping my physical copy in my collection. How am I a dumbass for enjoying the unexpected bonus of digital convenience?

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'll just have a phantom copy of the PS4 version trying to install alongside the PS5 version any time the disc is inserted, forever.

Cool.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Basically, this seems like it has happened because the way PSN is set up it may as well be duct taped together. So what I gather:

Game comes out on PS plus way back in March this year for PS4, Sony say it won't be eligible for free upgrade to PS5 version(which released in June) but anyone who owns the physical/digital copy already will be eligible.

People use their existing PS4 physical copy/buy one just to upgrade to PS5 version when it comes out.

People who added PS plus version to their library get told they're eligible for a free upgrade now, in December. Only those who had upgraded a physical version already, probably way back in June are now locked out from having a more convenient method of playing the game because reasons.

Does get me wondering though: What would happen if the complete opposite was to happen? Say you upgrade the PS+ version to PS5 just fine then have your PS+ sub run out, would you then be locked out of upgrading a physical PS4 copy?
Good question. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has or can try this, although obviously the timing of it would be hard to control.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Like I was mentioning in a different post of mine, I had bought the digital version and never acquired the PS+ version and I was seemingly screwed over due to redeeming the free upgrade using my physical copy. It wasn't until I stumbled on the web version of the PS Store that I was able to even find an option to redeem the digital version. And it wasn't intuitive to find it at all. I just landed on the page by happenstance.

I'm kinda surprised people are only just now realizing this but I guess there aren't too many people who double dip on games. I often find myself getting both a physical and digital copy cause I'm a dumbass :)

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Why is this even an issue? If you have the PS+ version, you should have whatever upgrades the PS+ version gets.

Gonna keep my discs anyway (I rarely sell games) but this is straight up dumbassery.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This specific scenario applies to me now on PS5, as I bought the PS4 disc, upgraded to PS5 version, claimed the PS+ license, and now cannot also get the digital upgrade to PS5.

To contrast this, MS does all of these things really seamlessly on Xbox between Game Pass, owned discs, and digital availability to skip (or re-introduce) the disc check step when games get added or removed from the service. But their cross-gen system also worked as one would expect, and didn't have the dual-install bullshit and other obtuse installations that Sony still has for their titles, so I'm just going to assume that this shit is never getting fixed unless enough people are up in arms about it.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I think they can fix this issue and future ones if they want to. But we aren't getting a Smart Delivery like system until PS6 imo