• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
This is mentioned yearly but I haven't seen it said this year, though it's possible that I missed it.

Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Nintendo's Online service get slammed every Christmas day without fail with everybody jumping online with their new gifts, bringing services to a crawl, if not completely bringing them down.

If you're giving someone a console this year for Christmas, especially kids, and have the ability to discretely unbox it to update it before tomorrow, consider doing so. Nothing's worse than denying a kid their new gift because of network issues.

Last edited:

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
I wouldn't. Patience should be learned and opening it for the first time is part of the experience in my opinion. Just in case the server load would be too great I'd put the latest firmware on a USB key and keep that in my pocket if the PSN or XBL goes down.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
its like your parents not getting you a memory card or being stuck with the ps1 demo disc all xmas

it is but a right of passage

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or teach your children to be patient. It's not hard, and this is a great teaching moment.

wideface

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
d97.jpg

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Lmfaoooo looks like I'm the only one.

Already opened my sons Series S and loaded with gamepass games.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
This is mentioned yearly but I haven't seen it said this year, though it's possible that I missed it.

Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Nintendo's Online service get slammed every Christmas day without fail with everybody jumping online with their new gifts, bringing services to a crawl, if not completely bringing them down.

If you're giving someone a console this year for Christmas, especially kids, and have the ability to discretely unbox it to update it before tomorrow, please do so. Nothing's worse than denying a kid their new gift because of network issues.
I would be so fucking pissed as a kid if somone unboxed my console before giving it to me.

Hell I would be pissed as an adult too.

you only see the ps5 boot up sequence one time.

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
No. the recipient must be the first to unbox.

This!

I mean I appreciate the sentiment and I think it's a good idea for parents to do setup for sure, but I bought my brother a PS5 this year and I think he'd be pissed if it was already opened (not that I would particularly care since I'm obviously the best sibling in the world for obtaining a PS5 for him to begin with :3 )

Oct 27, 2017
If your answer is "no it should be untouched, I need to feel the plastic bags", you've got a consumerism problem and you shouldn't try to pass it along to your kids

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
If your answer is "no it should be untouched, I need to feel the plastic bags", you've got a consumerism problem and you shouldn't try to pass it along to your kids

And if you're pre chewing and removing every single instance of waiting for instant gratification you encapsulate everything that is wrong in the todayé's world of me myself and I and immediate satisfaction.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Usually, I'd agree. But launch day on PS5 for me at least went off perfectly fine. No download issues, download speeds were fine, everything updated. I unboxed my PS5, updated, and was up and playing DMC5:SE downloaded and all within like 30 minutes.

I don't think it's gonna be much of an issue come tomorrow. Didn't hear complaints from those I know who got a Series X/S as well.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Or teach your children to be patient. It's not hard, and this is a great teaching moment.

Yep. My wife actually just bought me the PS5 and I've had it waiting under the tree for a few days. I am waiting. I need to learn patience as a child is coming next year and I definitely need a lesson or two.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
And if you're pre chewing and removing every single instance of waiting for instant gratification you encapsulate everything that is wrong in the todayé's world of me myself and I and immediate satisfaction.
It's ONE Christmas gift. God forbid someone go a few extra steps to make the day as pleasant a memory as possible.

Oct 27, 2017
lol it's a toy, man. They've been working on day one from the dawn of man to the 1990s.

Fucking system updates are not an inherent part of human life, stop being kids and start raising them.

breander

Oct 27, 2017
This really isn't as much an issue anymore, the server infrastructure is so much better and the console updates are not all that large either.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
no, the whole new experience must be enjoyed by the recipient, including the patches, updates etc.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
lol it's a toy, man. They've been working on day one from the dawn of man to the 1990s.

Fucking system updates are not an inherent part of human life, stop being kids and start raising them.

No but having to wait until something is ready is something they'll have to go through all their life. You do what you want for me I'd go through the first steps with the kid while setting up parental control etc assuming they're young enough for that. If they're teens it's still worthwhile to teach them basic skill like connecting it to the Wi-Fi etc, I work in telecom and the amount of young adults who have no clue how to connect an equipment on their Wi-F or a basic understanding on how to connect and equipment to a TV, switch TV inputs etc is staggering.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I bet OP wouldn't want the retailer to open his console and update it themselves before selling it, so why would you do this for the gift recipient?

Oct 27, 2017
I bet OP wouldn't want the retailer to open his console and update it themselves before selling it, so why would you do this for the gift recipient?
Wait... what? Because you're the FATHER of the CHILD, and not a total stranger working for a store?

What the hell are people on around here? Why would a 6 year old have to learn about updating a console on Christmas day?

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you support G-Stop's "New game but really we opened it up beforehand and put it on the shelf and labeled it as New so now when you buy it you can see its not really New thus ruining your experience of opening it for the 1st time." practice.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I mean ultimately it's up to the parent to know what their kid would prefer. I personally enjoy setting shit up and it's half the fun for me. I prefer computer parts to upgrade myself rather than have my parents install a new GPU too. All depends on what the recipient is in to

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Lmfaoooo looks like I'm the only one.

Already opened my sons Series S and loaded with gamepass games.
I dont really get the responses. If I got this stuff as a kid being able to play it would be more important to me than unwrapping plastic. These systems dont even come in plastic you can always put them back in the box.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
No chance. Unboxing and set up are part of the fun. Plus a short delay builds up hype, which is very much part of the experience. To this day, I still fondly remember opening and setting up new consoles I received for Christmas as a kid just as much as the first games I played on them.

Last edited:

maks

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf, people in here talking about buying ps5 for a very young little child. Hope that child got other gift like actual TOYS they can play with while the damn $500 ps5 you got for 'them' is downloading updates. They will be fine.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I mean ultimately it's up to the parent to know what their kid would prefer. I personally enjoy setting shit up and it's half the fun for me. I prefer computer parts to upgrade myself rather than have my parents install a new GPU too. All depends on what the recipient is in to
Think of it more of this way. If someone got you a new GPU would you be angry at them for downloading the drivers in advance or would you rather stare at a new piece of hardware and not be able to use it because Nvidia servers are down.

Oct 25, 2017
I would have been fine with my parents doing this when I was a kid if the consoles were similar to today's consoles.

These days with updates and having to install games it can take hours before you can actually play.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Think of it more of this way. If someone got you a new GPU would you be angry at them for downloading the drivers in advance or would you rather stare at a new piece of hardware and not be able to use it because Nvidia servers are down.
and this is where parental discretion plays in. I wouldn't have enjoyed that as a kid because it takes away from the setup. not every kid is like that

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I can imagine this not being a preference for people, but being pissed if it were done is just flat out disrespectful to the person who got you the present. It's the thought that counts.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I think PlayStation you can download the latest update via USB, I'm not sure if fits the same for Xbox but I would guess so

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I legit enjoy the unboxing experience of the Xbox Series X and kind of wish I hadn't watched online unboxings before it came out. Microsoft packaged it in a pretty cool way, IMO.

Wouldn't want to take that away from someone I was gifting it to, if I were giving one as a gift. Also, as other users have said, great teaching opportunity for children in particular, though OP's gesture is well-intended and is appreciated nonetheless.