• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can a console's color influence you buying decision?

• Yes

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 158 73.1%

• Total voters

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
If all other criteria are met and you are on the fence about buying a new console can something as trivial as consoles color influence your buying decision?

For example would you be patient and hold out for the right color or would you not care and pull the trigger even if it looks wrong to your eye.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Might as well ask me if I care what color the engine in my car is. I rarely ever even look at my PS4 and it's kinda tucked away. I don't give a shit

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Right now with PS5? Yes. I hate how it looks, size, shape and color.

But when there's must-play games that could change in a hurry.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna vote no but then I'm the idiot who bought multiple GameCubes because I wanted the Pearl White one.

So, yeah, I guess. Would sell my PS5 and buy a new one if they released a black model too.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Voted no, but really it's more a probably not. I prefer black, but can live with gray or white and I can't think of any consoles that haven't been available in those colors. Even the GC launched with the black option (which I bought) along side the purple.

But in general, I won't buy a console or anything else I'm on the fence about these days. I've been happier only buying things I definitely wanted.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not specifically color, but one (not the main reason) of the reasons I picked up the Series S over the X or PS5 was how small and stylish it is.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
Yes - I probably would had gone with a Series S (even with its downfalls) instead of a Series X if it had a dark variation instead of just being white; not the biggest fan of the brutalist design of the Series X

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
No, I really don't care what color it is since I'm rarely looking directly at it anyway.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
I've never been in the position to buy at the release of a limited edition, not that I'd want most of them (ACNH Switch 😍), but it'd entice me this time.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Definitely, but it would have to be a really funky color. For example, the yellow Switch Lite. There's no way I'd pay money for that (sorry if you have it/like it).

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Color doesn't sway me. Though I must admit, I kind of want to get the Red/Blue Switch controllers (got the gray option when I got the Switch), but I refuse to pay the absurd $80 for them.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Slap a cute Pikachu graphic on a console, and I will definitely consider it.

And if it's atomic purple, whew. Yes. Most definitely.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
At this point based one releases we're aware of, I'm waiting for either the PS5 to come in black, or for God of War: Ragnarok to release. Whichever comes first.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
If it's black or white, no. If I could get a purple one, though, that would make a difference. I love purple.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
The look of a console is basically irrelevant to me. I don't like the look of the PS5, but that had essentially no impact on my purchase decision.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, I think both the Series X and PS5 are pretty ugly yet I own both. They're also displayed pretty prominently in my living room since they're huge and warm, and I'd rather prioritize proper cooling than tucking them away.

On the other hand I think the Series S has a pretty slick design that grew on me, but I have zero reason to ever own one myself.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I have a PS5, so of course not. I have it since launch and it still makes me smile when I look at that big weird thing.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If all other criteria are met and you are on the fence about buying a new console can something as trivial as consoles color influence your buying decision?

For example would you be patient and hold out for the right color or would you not care and pull the trigger even if it looks wrong to your eye.
The "other" big criteria is if Microsoft and Sony stop using muslim slave labour to manufacture the new consoles. Considering how cowardly the companies have been on this issue ever since the news was made public for a few years, I don't think that criteria will be met any time soon.

Colours are the most trivial thing at this point.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Sony made the the damn thing orange or went full Cyberpunk 2077 yellow.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It can influence it, but I wouldn't say the influence is a huge factor. The biggest factor will always be the games of course, but size, color, and design do play a role in it.

If I'm just looking at two of the same console then I'll go with the color I like more.

OP
OP
MysticGon

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The "other" big criteria is if Microsoft and Sony stop using muslim slave labour to manufacture the new consoles. Considering how cowardly the companies have been on this issue ever since the news was made public for a few years, I don't think that criteria will be met any time soon.

Colours are the most trivial thing at this point.

You are right and there is hardly anyone to hold their feet to the fire. Like big tobacco, oil, pharmaceuticals, clothing, food processing and the sugar industry before them. It's sad and seemingly insurmountable.

Sorry for the off topic rant but you are exactly right.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I barely acknowledge my consoles' physical existences after a few days of purchasing them, no.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
If it's something I'm not in a rush to get like the PS5 then yes color can influence me. I'm waiting for a black or special edition non white PS5 as there aren't any exclusive games I want to play on the PS5 currently. Now if there was some killer titles I wanted to play immediately then no color is irrelevant.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You are right and there is hardly anyone to hold their feet to the fire. Like big tobacco, oil, pharmaceuticals, clothing, food processing and the sugar industry before them. It's sad and seemingly insurmountable.

Sorry for the off topic rant but you are exactly right.
The thing is, all those industries had their feet put to the fire when journalists spoke up, then protests happened, politicians put pressure on the companies, and bills were passed to stop the exploitative practices of these corporations. That all takes a while.

We haven't even got video game or tech journalists in unison raising awareness about this. Let alone protests happening at Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, etc. A long way to go!

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I never "not bought" a console because of its color or appearance, but I have purchased consoles I already had because they had a color/theme I liked.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
No. Once it is in my tv cabinet I rarely look at it unless I need to switch disks or something.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I don't want to buy a PS5 until a black version is available. The current version would look terrible in my living room.

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
No, but if non-gaudy options are available, I will certainly take them.

That's why I waited for Switch stock with the grey joycons instead of the multi-coloured ones that make it look like a toy.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Not usually. But I did wait for the Wind Waker Wii U even though it was just a plain black system with some writing (Should have been gold dammit) and I didn't get a Switch until the Mario Odyssey bundle which really only had red Joycons. I seem to always arrive way too early to the party to get the variations I'd have been happier with. Like the really neat Animal Crossing Switch. Or even the new Mario version with the red and blue colors. I'm still mad the Odyssey bundle was just a regular black Switch with no Mario branding at all. At least they could have made the dock red. Or at least printed an Odyssey logo on it.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
The look of the PS5 immediately convinced me to wait for a redesign so a yes vote from me.