• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I can kind of understand dogs. If the person is irresponsible, a dog can do a lot of damage to an apartment. But a single cat can't really do any meaningful damage. You're just making your tenants' lives worse for minimal risk.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a landlord and I allowed my tenants to have a dog.

The only thing Is if there's any damage they need to pay for it and make sure the carpet is properly washed once they leave the property.

I don't understand why no to cats but I have seen cats damage things before

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
JaE4eQL.png

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Once a cat starts peeing on the carpet and the owner doesn't clean the mess the pee will soak through the carpet and the smell is like death when the landlord has to replace it.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Cats can easily ruin a house. Dogs will just scratch shit up but you can smell a cat house until you replace all carpet, clean walls, etc. far grosser animals.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
If you're a landlord and you don't allow cats, you're a bad person.

fixed.

But, that out of the way, cats can do serious damage OP, I don't agree with the way you framed it. Cat urine and spray can make you have to rip out carpet and replace. Then there's the issue of them clawing the shit out of walls or posts.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Cat claws can destroy some shit and cat urine is some foul smelling stuff.

Cats can destroy a place.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If anything it's vice versa. If you want to allow a dog, that's understandable. Dogs are sick, bro. But who wants a cat around. Once a cat has pissed, the world has ceased to be.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
not a landlord, but glad to live in a no cats unit. Can't imagine it's cheap to replace the carpet and repaint all the walls to get rid of the smell every time an owner moves out.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a landlord and I don't allow cats. Cat urine is impossible to remove and carpet and padding mist be replaced, not cleaned.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
An unspayed male cat can stink a place up very quickly, and the smell is very hard to get out of rugs.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
How are they making their tenants lives worse? Just don't move there if you want a cat that badly.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Where I live, Landlords cannot ban pets. If they put a no pets provision in the lease, it's automatically void. You can just say "yep no pets", then move Mr. Whiskers in day 2 and they can't do a thing.

There's provisions if the landlord lives in the property and has an allergy and whatnot. But your own apartment? They can't do a thing. You might want to look up the laws where you live.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Cat urine and scratching habits can cause property damage. Not to mention it's all fun and games until a couple are let outside/bolt out the door, then you've got about 10 million feral cats around that are an environmental hazard.

Oct 27, 2017
Cat urine and scratching habits can cause property damage. Not to mention it's all fun and games until a couple are let outside/bolt out the door, then you've got about 10 million feral cats around that are an environmental hazard.
You know you can get cats fixed right. I had outdoor cats my entire life and never once was my neighbourhood under attack from "10 million feral cats".

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
As someone who has had cats all my life growing up I have to disagree. They can cause plenty of damage.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well your hypberolic post about the dangers of one or two housecats getting outside and breeding into a plague of savage felines seemed to imply otherwise.
The hyperbole should've been a tip off that I wasn't being entirely serious.

Granted, fixed cats can still do environmental damage. They kill up the local wildlife something fierce.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Can't really say one way or another. Not a landlord, never been able to have pets. Initially I wanted cats, ultimately I just adopted the "fuck it" mentality. Having zero responsibility is pretty dope, not gonna lie.

Last edited:

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I have a cat, started pissing in some rooms (Getting old; luckily usually the bath but the bugger has a catflap) and scratched up the odd carpet (Rather randomly after 10 years). I own my house though.

In the UK we have a deposit though which would cover this surely?

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a house with cat damage. I was like whatever, but yeah I could see why landlords wouldn't allow cats.

Oct 27, 2017
The hyperbole should've been a tip off that I wasn't being entirely serious.

Granted, fixed cats can still do environmental damage. They kill up the local wildlife something fierce.
Oh yeah no argument there. I had no idea how much damage outdoor housecats to do to local bird populations.

I don't really care for birds to be totally honest, but the numbers were fucking astounding. It's like a billion/year in the US alone.

On topic, we recently moved into a new place (like, yesterday recent) and while the lease mentioned "no pets", they technically can't enforce or do anything about it because the law says otherwise. However, as much as we want a new furry friend, we're not going to make things awkward this fresh into a new rental. See how it goes in a couple months.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah no argument there. I had no idea how much damage outdoor housecats to do to local bird populations.

I don't really care for birds to be totally honest, but the numbers were fucking astounding. It's like a billion/year in the US alone.
I'm not a SUPER huge bird fan myself (minus corvids; they rock), but, I mean, if we're all about protecting the environment, dealing with global warming and all that, we need to do better about feral cat and outdoor cat populations in areas where such cats are not native. Every little bit helps.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Cats fucking reek, mainly. They also have crazy claws and will claw pretty much anything. Ask any cat owner lol

There's a reason dogs are allowed more across the board.

I say this as a 7x šŸˆ owner.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If anything it's vice versa. If you want to allow a dog, that's understandable. Dogs are sick, bro. But who wants a cat around. Once a cat has pissed, the world has ceased to be.
A cat once pissed in my uncle's garbage, that mothafucka still smelled like pee years later. The garage and pee became one.

nihilence

nĆøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Cats can do plenty of damage.
If their urine gets into the carpet, pads, floor boards or cement or can be hell.

I've met owners that had to destroy the floors or reseal the foundation due to cats. None of this should happen with responsible owners however.

With dogs you can see the damage. With cats you can smell the damage.

I'm a cat owner.