• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Topics.

• Yeah. It's look interesting and Powerful than light.

Votes: 78 42.2%
  • Maybe a little bit.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • No., I'm stick the light.

Votes: 47 25.4%

• Total voters

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Oh I'd Force lightning a Sith or two to throw them off balance for sure. Might even Vader choke a bitch.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably be a gray jedi. idgaf about how canon Lucas wants it to not be, you can't decanonize a fucking philosophy.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I almost always default to lightning-based powers when it comes to picking characters or skills...

So maybe I just dabble in it a little teeny bit?

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, though I wouldn't want to overuse it and disfigure myself. Maybe things like force choking. And doing that Sith roar thing Palpatine did while spinning with his lightsaber. Not gonna follow the teachings of emotionally repressed nutjobs.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a coward. I won't intentionally risk falling to the dark side, no. It's too seductive: I'd worry that just one little spark would send me careening towards puppy murder. Not gonna try it.

That said, apparently fear is the path to the dark side, so I'd probably end up there despite my abundance of caution.

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
I don't quite understand what makes one side of the force "dark" and one side of the force "light." In fact, I always thought the force as being the energy that connects all things together. How can it have separate aspects to it? And why only two? I would have assumed that such a primordial and mystical aspect of nature to have more dimensions to it than two simple aspects.
Whatever. Clearly, as the force is presented in the films, it's best to stick to the light. But funk me if I'd be chilling with those whack monks. I'd touch base with them, if I could, to gain a deeper knowledge of how the force works but I wouldn't play their weirdo pseudo-powertipping games. What'd're they gonna do? Kill someone for being a light side force user who isn't strictly part of their crew? Sod off

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
"Maybe if I only stick my hand in lava a little bit I won't get burned" is a dumb philosophy

By the series own laws, the force is this ineffable, mystic, unknowable, incomprehensible thing that has it's own will. It's not a thing that's actually understood by the people who use it.

If that's the framework we're working in, then approaching it without assumptions of what the past Jedi and Sith have had is not only sensible, its even how the series itself is progressing. You'll notice that Rey doesn't has much regard for the light and dark sides of the force, instead interpreting as the flow between life and death. And she's not wrong to do so.

The only one that truly knows what the force is the writer, which up until recently was Lucas, and so if he said the Dark side and lightsides were absolute, then that's just how it was. But not only is he no longer in charge, it's not like anyone in the universe has reason to know that just because the writer does. They just have the conventional wisdom of the Jedi, who are shown to be pretty goddamn wrong about the force in many ways.

Besides, the idea that your an evil person because you're using force lightning to, say, charge up a battery is fucking stupid.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't I? Based on the movies, the Dark side doesn't seem to have downsides compared to the Light side. Like you get access to some extra powerful stuff, and the only thing that happens is Jedi being mad?

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. The reason there are sith is because the Jedi are so rigid in their beliefs that only the light side is right and anyone who dabbles in the "dark" is evil. That's not to say I'd go full on force choke someone just because I can.

As Veelk said more eloquently than I ever could put it the reason thats the reason the Jedi failed and Luke in TLJ is literally the last Jedi as the force users that are going to come after will have both sides of the force in balance. Thats why I like Rian Johnson take on Star Wars and why TLJ is one of my favourite of the SW movies.

Abraxas

Feb 16, 2018
Dallas
I've never liked the split of light/dark powers. Or splitting using the force into "moves" at all really. For example the "force choke" just seemed like another, more focused or concentrated form of the telekinesis (push/pull/lift) to me.... See Luke at the start of RotJ...

The old EU games took this to the extreme making each shown use of the force as its own move. In Jedi Fallen Order taking a one off action and turning them into characteristic moves was even more egregious with certain droids lol

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I've said this before, but I want the force to be explored in other ways that isn't just light and dark, but even outside violence.

Like, what kind of painting would an artist who uses the force to influence their brush strokes paint? Like I imagine you could make a sort of Dorian Gray type story where maybe the painting takes on the life force or maybe influences people to act a certain way. There might not be any necessary violence, but like imagine a horror story like that Color Purple movie thats coming out where anyone who looks at this painting has some kind of revelation that changes them dramatically.

Imagine like a grifter who uses a sophisticated version of the jedi mind trick and other powers to pull off heists from powerful people. They can be strong in the force not because they fight good, but they have an intuitive knowledge of what to say or what thing to do to make give themselves a clean getaway.

Maybe even a force scientist. Not someone who studies the force, but uses the force to help divine mathematical and algorithmic insight to create things no one has ever done. I'd be down for a prequel where a force user was able to compute consciousness into circuitry, which is why all droids seem to have sentience.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not a downside to the dark side. Anakin has a premonition of his loved one dying and is groomed by Palpatine and told the dark side is the only way he can save her.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'd use force choke and lightning and shit to kill sith bishes. Idgaf about the Jedi council, not like they could stop you or have a good reason for trying.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
By the series own laws, the force is this ineffable, mystic, unknowable, incomprehensible thing that has it's own will. It's not a thing that's actually understood by the people who use it.

If that's the framework we're working in, then approaching it without assumptions of what the past Jedi and Sith have had is not only sensible, its even how the series itself is progressing.

People shit on the Jedi because of the prequel trilogies, but seem to overlook that the Galactic Republic and the Jedi Order lasted for twenty five thousand years. So no, I'm not going to pretend that the Jedi's understanding of the Force was nonsense. They clearly knew a thing or two about a thing or two.

Are you really so sure that you're the Force Galileo, able to bring about a radical paradigm shift that turns all understanding of the Force on its head, that you're willing to bet your own sanity on it? All so you can, what, charge your phone with magic?

I don't need to be famous. I don't need to reinvent society. I do need to be someone who doesn't murder children for fun.

OP
OP
Yukari

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
That's not a downside to the dark side. Anakin has a premonition of his loved one dying and is groomed by Palpatine and told the dark side is the only way he can save her.

The Darkside is Corrupt. It's will make people who use it become an evil at some point.
Using force lightning to charge up a battery? Soon or Later You will try to use it with the people.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
If we're talking purely morally, I feel like the jedi mind tricks are some of the least ethical of force powers, even including a bunch of dark side ones like lightning. You're taking away people's free will, whereas lightning is just... lightning. I don't really see how zapping someone is worse than stabbing them with a laser sword.

What I'm saying is the Jedi are a bunch of sanctimonious hyprocrits and their laws make no sense.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The Darkside is Corrupt. It's will make people who use it become an evil at some point.
Using force lightning to charge up a battery? Soon or Later You will try to use it with the people.
So Mace Windu is evil? Really, Anakin is the only Jedi we saw fall to the dark side. Dooku and Palpatine seem like the types to always have been evil.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Just from a practical viewpoint it's light side all the way. One step along the dark side and you're committed. At which point you're competing for one of two jobs in the entire universe, both of which mean that every Jedi in the universe including your own team mate is trying to destroy you. Hard pass on that thanks.

Dark side is alt-right Republicans. Light side is Bernie Bros Democrats. Grey Jedi is Libertarians.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
People shit on the Jedi because of the prequel trilogies, but seem to overlook that the Galactic Republic and the Jedi Order lasted for twenty five thousand years. So no, I'm not going to pretend that the Jedi's understanding of the Force was nonsense. They clearly knew a thing or two about a thing or two.

Are you really so sure that you're the Force Galileo, able to bring about a radical paradigm shift that turns all understanding of the Force on its head, that you're willing to bet your own sanity on it? All so you can, what, charge your phone with magic?

I don't need to be famous. I don't need to reinvent society. I do need to be someone who doesn't murder children for fun.
I wouldn't use them being in power to indicate them as anything other than being in power, for several reasons, among them that the reason they were in power for that long being the sheer contrivance and that just because they kept a government system in power doesn't necessarily mean they kept the people under that government happy.

But other than that....ideally, yeah, being able to discover new ways of thinking about this ethereal phenomenon in the universe would probably be the thing I'd be most interested in doing. Even if I'm wrong, I'd rather try to pursue that than not pursue it. It might lead to my own destruction, but so be it. But it depends on whose writing it of course.

The biggest thing that's wrong about Lucas' interpretation, in terms of how the prequels set it up, is that he blames Anakin's fall to the Dark Side on him loving Padme. Not in a bad way that doesn't respect her agency or in a mad way that is beyond rationality, but just the ordinary passion a man feels for his lover. There are points where he says that Passion = Evil is not the intended message, but in the way it's framed here, that's really what it comes down to, and I don't believe that as a moral framework anymore than I believe a Christian God is legitimately upset that I masturbate. Anakin just wanted his wife to not die and that's idiotically framed as his cardinal sin that lead to him bowing to evil and swearing under Palpatine. Fuck that.

Passion, even overwhelming passion, doesn't inevitably lead to murdered children. I don't buy that shit, and Star Wars is a more interesting universe if I don't accept that as being cosmically true.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just from a practical viewpoint it's light side all the way. One step along the dark side and you're committed. At which point you're competing for one of two jobs in the entire universe, both of which mean that every Jedi in the universe including your own team mate is trying to destroy you. Hard pass on that thanks.

Dark side is alt-right Republicans. Light side is Bernie Bros Democrats. Grey Jedi is Libertarians.

That is the Sith way, you can still be a dark side force user that isn't part of the cult of two.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
If you use the force to push someone off a building you're still a force saint. If you fine tune your force push to apply pressure on the neck area you risk magically turning into force Hitler. Fuck that nonsense, Kreia was right, the force is bullshit.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

yoda voice and that is why you fail

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Passion, even overwhelming passion, doesn't inevitably lead to murdered children. I don't buy that shit, and Star Wars is a more interesting universe if I don't accept that as being cosmically true.

In the real world, passion doesn't necessarily lead to child murder. Nor do rings turn people into bald goblins with a speech impediment. But in fantasy stories, sometimes corruption can come from unlikely, even nonsensical sources.

If I wake up in a fantasy land and there's a guy with a gray beard telling me not to eat potatoes because that's the first step along the road to becoming a lich, well okay then. I like potatoes, but I don't need to eat them.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
If there's one thing to learn from the prequels besides how not to make a movie trilogy, it's that the Jedi were wrong about basically everything.

Luke's strength is his grasp of nuance.

OP
OP
Yukari

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
So Mace Windu is evil? Really, Anakin is the only Jedi we saw fall to the dark side. Dooku and Palpatine seem like the types to always have been evil.

In Canon EU There are many Jedi that fallen to the dark side such as Inquisitor who was a former Jedi.

Even in
have a survivor Jedi master who fallen to the dark side

Also, Mace Windu didn't have any Darkside power.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
In the real world, passion doesn't necessarily lead to child murder. Nor do rings turn people into bald goblins with a speech impediment. But in fantasy stories, sometimes corruption can come from unlikely, even nonsensical sources.

If I wake up in a fantasy land and there's a guy with a gray beard telling me not to eat potatoes because that's the first step along the road to becoming a lich, well okay then. I like potatoes, but I don't need to eat them.

How do you know your not in a fantasy world now? How do you know that your not a character written in a story where if you masturbate or if you have sex outside marriage or if you wear clothing woven of two kinds of materials, the cosmic ruler of the universe will send to fiery hell where you are tortured for eternity? Because there are plenty of guys with gray beards that say that. Who's to say they're wrong? Don't you want to hedge your bets with them?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
In Canon EU There are many Jedi that fallen to the dark side such as Inquisitor who was a former Jedi.

Even in
have a survivor Jedi master who fallen to the dark side

Also, Mace Windu didn't have any Darkside power.
As I said in my initial post, not in the movies. The movies have done a very bad job at showing that the dark side makes people bad. It just shows evil people using it.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
yes. I've been watching the Star Wars movies for the first time in earnest, like paying attention as an adult. Man... the Jedi were pretty problematic. Then looking at the wiki's, they were just as bad as the sith as far as I can see. They were both bad and it seems like only these fabled grey jedi (jeeze thats dumb) were the only people who "get it"

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe people wouldn't have to keep trying to "bring balance to the Force" if they didn't favor/shun one side of it to begin with.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Manipulating people's minds in the only power I would use and both sides use that so no

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Dark side powers are always great, but I bet Palpatine could use the largest dark-power that only the Jedi seem to be able to do - and that's control people's f'ng minds.

OP
OP
Yukari

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

Go buy this books.

uQJGtMg.jpg

Jul 24, 2018
Much like Revan and the Exile in KOTOR 2, the Dark Side isn't inherently evil if you use it for good. People do bad things because they are bad not because some faceless entity commands them to do it.