• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If your roommate or live-in S.O. contracted coronavirus, what would you do?

• Ask them to find somewhere else to stay

Votes: 28 3.8%
  • I will move out or find somewhere else to stay

Votes: 48 6.5%
  • Keep staying together in the same place, but exercise extreme caution

Votes: 554 75.2%
  • Other

Votes: 107 14.5%

• Total voters

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the other would be my wife. I'm not kicking her out or leaving her wtf. Theres no point exercising any caution either. If she has it, I have it.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
If they're showing symptoms they've already been able to spread it for days ahead of time.

If they have it, you have it.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
guessilldie.jpeg

They would've likely already been contagious and spread it to me before even showing symptoms, plus our house isn't set up in a way that'd be easy to quarantine against each other. If one of my roomies gets it, we all gettin' it.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Essentially, if it happened, I'd be screwed. I'm guessing by the point my roommate would get a positive test, I'd likely already be positive too (though maybe not showing symptoms yet). If somehow I didn't manage to catch it from my roommate in the initial days, I'd have nowhere to go anyway. Obviously couldn't stay with my parents, as I wouldn't want to potentially spread it to them, especially since they're 60+. Couldn't afford to quarantine in a hotel either.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Kick them out of course

(Of course not, what the fuck?)

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
Accept that I have it also. And stay the hell inside, even though we already are.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
If my wife got it then I'll just try to stay healthy for as long as possible to take care of her.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
It'll be too late if your roommate or your SO has contracted it. You guys would have to quarantine & keep your absolute distance from each other.

Plus neither of you can ever leave your home or your apartment, because you'll only risk spreading the virus further to other people. Not until the virus has completely subsided.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I admittedly formulated the question assuming only a "roommate" scenario, where you are just living together with someone for the purposes of splitting and sharing living expenses. This is where more of a quandary exists, because it's questionable how much loyalty you should have to someone who is at best a good friend, and at worst just some other person that you can tolerate co-habitation with.

I expanded the question to include a Significant Other just because I recognize that many people are living with a life partner, but obviously that changes things in a pretty significant manner. I wouldn't necessarily expect anyone to walk out on a partner forever, but I don't think it's out of the question that the both of you could maintain separate living spaces for a couple weeks. There's likely dozens of vacant AirBnBs in every city, so finding some place close by for one party to stay would not be entirely unreasonable.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
What if I'm at risk and my SO/roommate isn't?

What if staying ends up killing me?

What if we live in a tiny NYC apartment and can't quarantine away from each other.

It all depends on a variety of factors....

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
One of my housemates had mild symptoms so we were all in quarantine. Using whatsapp to make sure nobody else was in the kitchen, having our own cutlery and plates etc.

Stanicle

Oct 27, 2017
I currently have it and on day 12 of it. living with my wife and 2 month old baby. Once I got it it basically we all had to quarantine. There is no leaving since you would be unsure when I(in this case) actually got it and can not assume wife or baby does not have it already. Can not risk spreading it.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I admittedly formulated the question assuming only a "roommate" scenario, where you are just living together with someone for the purposes of splitting and sharing living expenses. This is where more of a quandary exists, because it's questionable how much loyalty you should have to someone who is at best a good friend, and at worst just some other person that you can tolerate co-habitation with.
There is no quandary.

If someone you live with is positive, the entire household is under quarantine. You do not have the option of leaving, and neither do they.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
If my wife has it I'll have it already and it would be worse to go somewhere else.

On top of that I am not leaving my pregnant wife alone and sick. Same would apply even if she wasn't pregnant.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
Well, given I sleep with my wife, I'd assume I already had it. Because she was probably contagious before the symptoms showed.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
Good news. If they have. You have it. Learn from their suffering ring name their mistakes. Hookup.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I live with my boyfriend, but if I did, I'd self quarantine with him. No way I'd leave him. He's my ride or die.

saelz8

Dec 25, 2017
Earlier this month, CDC scientists reported that the rate of symptomatic infection among a patient's household members was 10.5%. The rate among other close contacts was 0.45%. In the case of one particular patient, none of his five household members, although continuously exposed to the patient during the time he was isolated at home, tested positive for the virus.

Just because a housemate contracts Corona, doesn't mean you will. You, of course, want to be vigilant if it does occur, but it's not a 100% guarantee as people seem to be characterizing here. Source

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
because it's questionable how much loyalty you should have to someone who is at best a good friend, and at worst just some other person that you can tolerate co-habitation with.
It's not about loyality or anything, it's about the right thing to do. If your roomate was already tested then you might have it as well already due to the long incubation time.
It doesn't matter if you or your mate would move out because both decisions would most likely only spread the virus if both of you are infected.

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I chose other, because there is no "exercising extreme caution." If she gets it I get it. When you live with someone you can't just lock them in a room.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
We have a large house with a self contained section in it (kitchen, bedroom, bathroom etc). The infected person would just stay in there.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
I'd move in with you, OP.

Seriously though, yeah too late for you in that situation. You already got it or are gonna get it.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
By the time you found out they had it, it's very likely that you would have already caught it as well. It would be irresponsible not to self-quarantine together.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'll continuing living with my family because if I were to move to live elsewhere I'd risk spreading it myself.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
At that point, you become a risk, so leaving is irresponsible, Asking someone who is sick to leave is even more irresponsible.
I'd ride it out and be extremely careful and take all precautions I could.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, who are the assholes, that answered "Ask them to find somewhere else to stay"? You should be ashamed of yourself! What's wrong with you?

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017

I expanded the question to include a Significant Other just because I recognize that many people are living with a life partner, but obviously that changes things in a pretty significant manner. I wouldn't necessarily expect anyone to walk out on a partner forever, but I don't think it's out of the question that the both of you could maintain separate living spaces for a couple weeks. There's likely dozens of vacant AirBnBs in every city, so finding some place close by for one party to stay would not be entirely unreasonable.
The rule here is you have to isolate together. There is no moral quandary, your roommate could just call the cops on your ass and they'd be in the house and you'd be in jail.
I can't believe we're weeks into this and you still got to write all that without knowing how it works.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
  1. Do your absolute best to remain isolated from society - both of you. The other person is symptomatic, and you are likely asymptomatic and infected.
  2. Take care of the other person while still exercising extreme caution on the microscopic odds that you are not infected.
  3. Prepare "go bags" filled with medicine, phone chargers, a change of clothes, etc. in case you need to leave your place ASAP to go to a hospital.
  4. Alert any and all people you've been near in the last 14 days that you have the immediate contact information for (family, friends, peers, coworkers, etc.)
  5. Under no circumstances do you bail on the person.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
My son probably had it. Waiting a week now for test results. Entire family is fully quarantined. Just not sure how long though.

His fever ended 2 days ago so maybe 14 days from then?

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Can you all please stop saying "if they have it you have it". This is categorically untrue. If someone in your household tests positive you should act as if their is a chance that you also have it and quarantine. But you should also act as if their is a chance that you do not have it and quarantine yourself from that person as well. Acting as if there is no chance you don't have it and taking zero measures to prevent yourself from contracting it is almost as irresponsible as the OPs suggestion that it might be okay for one of you to leave.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017

What if we live in a tiny NYC apartment and can't quarantine away from each other.

As many have said, if your SO shows symptoms, it is likely you've already contracted the virus unless you and her/him have been practicing household social distancing, which is very unlikely. In this case, both of you must remain where you are, keep extra distance from each other and self-quarantine. It doesn't matter if you're at risk or not. If you've already gotten it, your chance of surviving is the same wheter you stay or leave.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

if you die, you can die knowing that you didn't leave and spread it to others.