• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

If your roommate or live-in S.O. contracted coronavirus, what would you do?

• Ask them to find somewhere else to stay

Votes: 28 3.8%
  • I will move out or find somewhere else to stay

Votes: 48 6.5%
  • Keep staying together in the same place, but exercise extreme caution

Votes: 554 75.2%
  • Other

Votes: 107 14.5%

• Total voters

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I figure this is a situation many people will be forced to face in the coming weeks, so I am curious where everyone might stand on this issue.

Your roommate tests positive for Covid-19, but symptoms are mostly mild and they don't need to be hospitalized. You are currently testing negative, with no symptoms of illness. Who (if anyone) should have to vacate the premises? As I see it, there aren't a whole lot of options. Either one person has to leave, or everyone stays and just does their best to mitigate the risk. Whoever leaves will probably have to pay extra for either an AirBnB, extended stay motel, or additional apartment. Should the cost of this be split between all roommates, or shouldered entirely by the person that temporarily leaves?

While the situation is hypothetical, feel free to answer based on your current living situation. I think things get a lot more dicey and complex if you consider a situation where there are multiple roommates or children involved.

EDIT:
I admittedly formulated the question assuming only a "roommate" scenario, where you are just living together with someone for the purposes of splitting and sharing living expenses. This is where more of a quandary exists, because it's questionable how much loyalty you should have to someone who is at best a good friend, and at worst just some other person that you can tolerate co-habitation with.

I expanded the question to include a Significant Other just because I recognize that many people are living with a life partner, but obviously that changes things in a pretty significant manner. I wouldn't necessarily expect anyone to walk out on a partner forever, but I don't think it's out of the question that the both of you could maintain separate living spaces for a couple weeks. There's likely dozens of vacant AirBnBs in every city, so finding some place close by for one party to stay would not be entirely unreasonable.

Last edited:

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
If somebody you live with tests positive (while living with you), you are under quarantine same as them.

If I find out you leave or made them leave, I'm calling the police and the health department. You're putting everyone else at risk with your reckless and selfish behavior.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
Look, bottom line is if your room mate or SO has it, so do you. I got tested today due to having symptoms. My wife isn't going anywhere

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
treat them well until the symptoms kick in for me?
By the time my SO shows signs I will have already gotten it hands down.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Stay with them. I have it too now. Also, children are better off than adults with this virus.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately this will probably happen here. My SO works in a hospital and they now have 3 employees confirmed, so it's only a matter of time before it starts spreading.

I have to exercise extreme caution, because I can't afford to stay anywhere else and I don't want to bring the potential of infection to my other family members. Just gonna have to tough it out and keep my distance

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
They stay in their own space and quarantine/isolate as best as possible and you quarantine as well. Anything else is fucking stupid, I'm sorry.

Oct 27, 2017
It's genuinely terrifying that at this point people actually think that deliberately spreading the virus further afield is any kind of an option, let alone the best one.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If your live-in SO was tested and has it, then you have it as well. Both of you have to stay in quarantine.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
My wife just brought this up today. I'm taking time off work because I'm high risk, but she is still going to work everyday. So starting tomorrow Im being banished to the basement. No idea how long I'll be down there. She's not allowed down there, and the only things I'll come upstairs for is to get food, and to poop. The downstairs bathroom doesn't have a bidet and the one I would want would take 2 weeks to ship. It's really going to suck not spending time with her, but she doesn't want to risk me dieing.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assume I've already got it and quarantine myself alongside them. Nothing else to do, really.

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My SO would probably have a much rougher time with the virus than I would.

So obviously I would leave as soon as possible.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'd probably comply with the current stay at home suggestion of self quarantining for at least 14 days, symptomatic or not. In very high likelihood, I've probably already got COVID-19 myself and will need to ride out. If symptoms start to show, extend that self-quarantine to 14 days after symptoms subside.

EDIT: Will stress what's been said but everything else becomes a public safety risk and is stupid as hell.

Last edited:

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Too late op you most likely have it by now. Better to stay in quarantine with the person.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
If somebody you live with tests positive (while living with you), you are under quarantine same as them.

If I find out you leave or made them leave, I'm calling the police and the health department. You're putting everyone else at risk with your reckless and selfish behavior.

This. This is the only sane thing to do. I was diagnosed a week ago. I was very sick the week prior to that. My wife was diagnosed earlier today after being sick during the latter half of this week. If she went to work and outside she would have gotten a lot of other people sick.

Stay home. Stay away from people.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
This would be were I would post the "you are already dead" meme except if this happens you actually might die for real.

PontyfaxJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
I'll look after her and hope by the time I get symptoms she is well enough to look after me. Nothing else we could do, unless one of us was bad enough to be hospitalised.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We have a flat/unit at the back of our property, my home office. It's got a bathroom/shower, bedroom, living/gaming room, office, aircon, fridge etc. Just missing a kitchen. We have set it up already so we can separate if needed while having the kids in the main house. I poorly joked with my misses about AirBnB'ing a quarantine granny flat out. It's probably of little use if one gets it as YoureAlreadyDead.gif.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
My wife is a nurse, it's just a matter of time till she gets it and then I get it. Given some health issues I'm unlikely to survive. I've been living this whole thing with mortality staring me down and it sucks.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I would take care of my wife as best as I could if she got sick just like I always do when she gets sick.

Nursed her through Flu, cold, and strep pnemoniae over the years and rarely get sick from her. It's weird because I'm the cancer survivor and thought my immune system was weaker.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Unless you have a compromised immune system or are otherwise part of a high risk group, leaving your live in significant other because they came down with the virus is completely absurd and should probably make that SO question the relationship if you even considered this, let alone the fact that by the time they started showing symptoms you are either asymptomatic with it or will start showing symptoms shortly

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm bad enough to take a test then she 100% has it already. The incubation time is too long. There's like zero chance you both don't have it if one does unless you've been away from each other.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
By the time they get a positive test you probably already have it, may as well just stay home with him/her until it passes.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
If my SO gets coronavirus, then I just resign myself to catching coronavirus at that point.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Stay together. Coronavirus is a far higher risk for them than for me due to their condition, so me getting it wouldn't concern me as much as my S.O. having it.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
We would be forced to go down together. Our place is too small to isolate, we can't afford to go anywhere else. Hoping we survive this.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not leaving my SO sick and alone, what the fuck? I stay.

One of the more tragic and less talked about realities of someone who has to be hospitalized and subsequently dies, is that they all die alone. There's no family members at their bedside, no kisses goodbye, no last words...just doctors and nurses in protective gear and other sick patients.