• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If your preferred candidate doesn't win the nomination, will you still vote for the person who does?

• Yes

Votes: 432 94.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 4.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Man Biden really tempts me at not voting.
šŸ‘ šŸ‘

But then it's trump and the world is exploding and he makes Biden look like the best candidate ever. So I'll end up voting for anyone. I'd vote for anyone against trump.

I'm just assuming Biden will be the nom. Because I'm very cynical.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I have never once had my preferred candidate survive the primaries in all my 18 years of voting in general elections - I apparently am a terrible judge of popularity. Every time, I've seen who makes it through, and voted for them.

The notion of rebelling against a party because your person didn't make it through is silly, however If you have serious reservations, you shouldn't feel locked behind one "team"

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yup of course and I encourage everyone else to do the same

Even if your preferred candidate doesnt win that doesn't mean their time is done

I sincerely hope every candidate in our current pool (well maybe except Tulsi) remains an active participant in politics, government/governing, and policy proposals

They could help run for other important offices, help with future campaigns, or even educate and inspire future generations of promising candidates

This doesnt END with defeating Trump. We need to build strong foundations beyond just beating Trump out of office. The entire right wing extremist machine needs to be dismantled for generations to come

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I will definitely vote, and most likely for the (Democratic) nominee. If there were a strong candidate on the left running on an Independent or third party ticket, I would consider them as well.

DasRavenEra

Oct 27, 2017
RDU
America rallying behind a terrible centerist Warhawk big business old pervert that millions of people could only muster vague apathy towards?

Clarence Thomas - Age: 70

Ruth Bader Ginsburg - Age: 86

Stephen Breyer - Age: 80​

John G. Roberts - Age: 64

Samuel A. Alito, Jr. - Age: 69

Sonia Sotomayor - Age: 64

Elena Kagan - Age: 58

Neil McGill Gorsuch - Age: 51

Brett Michael Kavanaugh - Age: 54​

220px-Stakes_is_High_album_cover.jpg

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I will definitely vote, and most likely for the (Democratic) nominee. If there were a strong candidate on the left running on an Independent or third party ticket, I would consider them as well.

Push for candidates and policy makers to get some sort of Ranked choice voting reform to happen

Otherwise independent votes just give us another Trump. If we truly want a system where independents matter we need to change the system as a whole

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone with a D next to their name is better than anyone with an R next to theirs at this point.

I wish that weren't true. But when you look at voter suppression, stealing a Supreme Court seat and generally insulating the worst parts of Trumps agenda I don't know how you can't see it that way.

Even if you live in a swing state or swing district we need to run up the score on the popular vote and show these fucks that the path they have taken us on is unacceptable to the American people as a whole. They need to know that continuing to fuck around with voting maps, voter suppression or the miss-allocations of congressional districts by suppressing individuals from filling out the census is holding back a floodwall that they can't handle in the long-run. They have to course correct and smashing them at the polls is the least-violent way of showing them how untenable their "win at all costs, even if you have to undercut the legs of democracy" strategy is for them.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
My general election vote goes to the candidate who wins the Democratic primary. As in 2016, this is the only reasonable option; the Republicans' nominee (and the actions of Republicans in the House and Senate in recent years) makes this the simplest, clearest choice ever.

I know some folks end up saying "well my state always goes blue, so I have the luxury of throwing my vote for president to a third party," but for many people, that would be ill-advised. Certainly in my state (which has consistently gone blue in presidential elections since before I was born) the margin in 2016 was not large enough to assume it's always going to be a safe bet. Plus Wisconsin and Michigan should be enough of a warning sign.
All right, who voted no? Explain yourself!
I mean technically that number could include people who are big Bill Weld boosters, who would vote for him but wouldn't for Trump. (As this poll does not limit the question to any one party's nomination.)

Last edited:

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I will. Because I fucking HATE Mitch McConnell 10 times more than I hate Joe Biden. Do whatever McConnell dislikes, that's my stance.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I have almost aways done this but I don't think anyone should be telling anyone who or how they should be voting.

Oct 26, 2017
Given that it is quite likely that the next President could be bringing forth nominations for 3 Supreme Court appointments, things go beyond not just wanting to vote for an unappealing Democratic nominee.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
My general election vote goes to the candidate who wins the Democratic primary. As in 2016, this is the only reasonable option; the Republicans' nominee (and the actions of Republicans in the House and Senate in recent years) makes this the simplest choice ever.

I know some folks end up saying "well my state always goes blue, so I have the luxury of throwing my vote for president to a third party," but for many people, that would be ill-advised. Certainly in my state (which has consistently gone blue in presidential elections since before I was born) the margin in 2016 was not large enough to assume it's always going to be a safe bet. Plus Wisconsin and Michigan should be enough of a warning sign.

I mean technically that number could include people who are big Bill Weld boosters, who would vote for him but wouldn't for Trump. (As this poll does not limit the question to any one party's nomination.)

Man, you said it. Individually, "I'm in a safe blue zone so I wont vote" seems reasonable. It's when 20,000 people think the exact same thing that the blue zone is not a guarantee anymore. Next thing you know, a minority of committed sociopaths DONT rest in their laurels and vote for even the dog catcher election.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This poll looks very promising. Hopefully we can keep this up through 2020, because there's probably going to be a whole lot of attempts at sowing discord on the democrat side.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I have almost aways done this but I don't think anyone should be telling anyone who or how they should be voting.

I do.

If you plan on not voting at all or voting for Trump just because your horse lost the race then you need to be sat down and talked to. Someone wasting their vote or choosing to vote incorrectly should be everyones problem.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd vote for a fucking can of shit over Trump, so yeah, I'll vote for anyone with a D attached to them in the general elections.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I skipped in 2016 (didn't see any interest in voting, assumed everything would just go my way anyways)
I won't make that error ever again

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I do.

If you plan on not voting at all or voting for Trump just because your horse lost the race then you need to be sat down and talked to.

Well I speak more towards those who's choice may not have won the primary so they gravitate towards the candidate remaining that best aligns with their concerns.

These days I vote almost strictly D but I have voted R many times in the past in local elections.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in NC so I can't afford to protest vote if someone gross like biden or tulsi get the nom so yeah, I'll be voting for whoever comes out of the dem side because I can't not

Oct 27, 2017

Eh, I think we should all be held accountable for our words and actions. If you're dumb enough to argue that not voting, or voting for Dr. Wifi is your well thought out choice, I am going to use my 1A right to tell you that you're a fucking moron and that I don't want to see you at brunch any more

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I won't sit it out and pout like a lot of people who refuse to compromise. I'll vote for the best case scenario.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and I'll be voting Dem candidates for the foreseeable future. I'd even argue it's my duty as an American citizen to do so.

There are too many people in this country who talk about how bad Republicans and Trump are and may even believe it in their hearts but still ultimately vote straight-ticket R because "at least they're not Democrats". At the end of the day, Republicans all fall in line. If this shit is ever going to get fixed, then left-wing voters need to stop hand-wringing for angels and bolster together.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Eh, I think we should all be held accountable for our words and actions. If you're dumb enough to argue that not voting, or voting for Dr. Wifi is your well thought out choice, I am going to use my 1A right to tell you that you're a fucking moron and that I don't want to see you at brunch any more

That's your choice.

Myself personally, just like in 2016 I am currently pulling for Bernie. If he does not win I will fall behind the Democrat and vote, just as I did for Hillary.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Of course. If my preferred candidate doesn't get in, I'll vote Trump out of spite /s

We have to make getting rid of Trump a priority. It should be clear to 100% of people that nothing is going to remove Trump except a vote at this point. Republicans have no ethics and don't care what Trump does as long as their side is "winning." We must vote.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Then I am really sorry to hear that you sometimes find a reason to support racism and bad policies. I hope you learn to better yourself at some point.

That's quite the accusation there, but feel free to make assumptions without knowing when those votes were cast, who they were casted for, what that individuals agenda was and the area I lived in.

Local agenda =/= National Agenda, but I'm sure you know this already.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't vote for the democrat nominee you're voting for trump so don't do that. Youre objectively in the wrong, and your opinion doesn't matter.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I will. Because I fucking HATE Mitch McConnell 10 times more than I hate Joe Biden. Do whatever McConnell dislikes, that's my stance.
The way Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan used their power during the Obama years, plus handing their party's nomination to Donald Trump, is what finally solidified me as a "Vote D every time, up and down the ballot" voter. Their blatant toadying post-2016 was just icing on that particular cake.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Yes! No questions asked. Voted Bernie on the primary and Hillary on the general election. I'm still astonished at the significant amount of citizens in the US that didn't vote in the 2016 election; it honestly needs to serve as a reminder of why voting is important.

Heard bad things about Tulsi, though I have doubts she will make and even then I would try to put my pettiness aside for the sake of booting Trump out of office.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but until it's down to them or Trump, I will villify them and anyone I don't like.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Yes.

This is the most important election in many of our lifetimes that will have a rippling effect across the very foundations of our societal norms. It will dictate policies that may correct our disastrous policies regarding energy, diplomacy and general well being.

Vote.

The option is total surrender or a small act of civil duty so vote.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I live in Illinois, so if my vote for President matters at all something has gone seriously fucking wrong for Democrats everywhere else. Therefore I'll only vote for the Dem nominee if it's one of my preferred candidates. I'm sure as hell not gonna be voting for someone like Joe Biden.

If I lived in a swing or red state I'd vote for whoever the Dem is though

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely.

People are dying under this fucking asshole. I'd be a piece of shit if I didn't.

Until the nominee is selected though I want to vet and do my part to get the best person as the candidate. But once the DNC starts and a candidate is locked in I will vote for her/him.

Status
Not open for further replies.