• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
*show starts from where you're at now in your life not when you were born, but you're still oblivious to there being a show about you.

Me, probably get axed before they could finish even 1 season. I'm a creature of habit so people would probably get bored very fast with my antics. My life is pretty routine.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Honestly I feel like if it were edited correctly, it could go on for years. Not tryna humble brag or w/e but my dating/sex/social life in general right now is probably interesting and weird enough to the point where you could host a crappy reality TV show about it and people would consistently tune in. Plus the fact that I'm figuring out my gender makes it more interesting too.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Wait if im remembering correctly isn't that same kind of routine what people wanted to watch in the movie? Nothing was special for Truman he was just an everyday man.

As for me the weekdays would be boring but the weekends could be crazy. Especially considering where I live.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Will they have to go to commercial break every time I fap or walk around naked? Cause then the show will be 60% commercial.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The whole point of the show was that it was directed/focused, so people wouldn't lose interest.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
If it was like the Truman show, then they would force interesting things to happen in your life.

EDIT: Beaten by a bit, but yes in the Truman Show the whole setting and everyone but the one person is manufactured to get real responses from someone living in a fake world that's made to be relatably mundane but interesting enough in its events to grow and maintain an audience.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
My life is closer to Groundhog Day than Truman Show.

It wouldn't get passed the pilot episode.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I would be a good boring Truman.

The whole point of the show was that it was directed/focused, so people wouldn't lose interest.
It built up to sweepstakes, but most of the time, he was just boring stuff and people were watching it because of that. The focus was things like meeting his new girlfriend.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
My teenage years could have made a decent ripoff of Dawson's Creek, but I've become a boring suburban dad in the meantime. My wife and kids are cute though, so I guess you could film a show around them.

Wait, now that I think about it, my family is very cute... suspiciously cute...

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't. The whole point in it is that they manufacture interesting situations for me to deal with. So just by virtue of being in a show my life would get more interesting.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
You mean events that were planned from the get-go? Yes, those were the focus.
They weren't really the focus. The movie implies Truman had two girlfriends in his entire life: his true love who was supposed to be nothing more than extra and his wife, who he was with for more than ten years. In that time they didn't have kids, they didn't have any break-ups (the one big upcoming story was a divorce) and there is no real daily drama. The idea of the Truman Show was giving people an everyday person who does everyday things, and people watch it because they feel comfort in seeing him be okay. It is even implied that he keeps meeting the same people at work like the twins that he keeps trying to sell insurance to. Even something as dramatic as bringing back his 'father' was done as an emergency thing because Truman started finding out the truth. The Truman Show wasn't meant to be a focused soap opera, it was a slice of life show. People watched him sleep, eat, ... there were even no commercial breaks. The monotonous was what people were watching for.

The guy was so boring that the slightest change in behaviour had him walk into the green room.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
There would be far too many scenes of masturbation, rough kinky sex and scratching inappropriate places when I think no one is looking. There would be a weird following for sure, in the same way people watch pimple popping videos, but it would have to be after the watersheds and with heavy warnings about the content.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Would not even get past the screenplay, the elevator pitch would result in a death and the cast would refuse to take any role.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I would imagine when I started masterbating as a teenager or the hours upon hours that I spent playing video games.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Me playing GT Sport and trying some time trial for the 30th time.

The whole world: "Jesus Christ, stop turning into this damn hair-pin so early"

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
My life is sometimes like a real world episode, so I think I would get at least 2-3 seasons. Drunk debauchery, drugs and sex sell.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
probably when the main character offs themself. Its been close a few times, but the idea of people watching that and doing noting is fucked up.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
It wouldnt get cancelled for any of us.

The real Truman in the Truman show was boring. Nothing ever happened to him, it couldn't happen to him.

People just wanted to watch another person - like the original Big Brother UK series (before it descended into wannabe celebrities)

You would have been chosen at birth, people would have been invested in you from day 1. They would have controlled what you do, who you loved and who "loves" you. Just as in the movie.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Depends how long people can stomach a close to middle aged man staring at his phone.

Given what the average zoomer already wastes its life on watching, I say my chances for a ten season run are pretty good.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It would get pulled 5 minutes into the first episode because too many people would've already died from boredom.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
My life is part black comedy, part Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream, part coming of age tale with a downer of a character arc, part dysfunctional love story, failed musician biopic and one take camera shot of paint drying.

Pilot would be aborted about the time the studio space gets rented.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Judging by how many strangers are currently interested in my love life, probably a few seasons at least

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand, I work from home so I'm boring.

On the other hand, I constantly talk to myself. So who knows?

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Remember that not only was Truman a boring, typical, everyday guy, but he wasn't even living "now," and that was for 1998. His life was purposefully designed around a boring, suburban, sort of 50s television style life.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Dropped at the pilot :P

My life is really uneventful, there's nothing entertaining about it.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Woulda been cancelled years ago, but the latest seasons have been good so it's their loss

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Remember that not only was Truman a boring, typical, everyday guy, but he wasn't even living "now," and that was for 1998. His life was purposefully designed around a boring, suburban, sort of 50s television style life.

Yep, that was the whole point. A TV station adopted a newborn and decided to make a show all about him, right from the beginning, in an idealised world that's nothing like real life.

If I was in that same situation, the show will probably never get cancelled, since I can be a bit oblivious sometimes.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Would have been cancelled a few weeks after I started working full time 12 years ago