• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Alright Era, let's do some fun rough math. Let's pull together every gaming current and upcoming sub service out there and see what it would cost per month in USD:

EA premier: $15
EA Access (X1): $5
Game Pass Ultimate: $15
PS Now: $20
Humble Monthly: $12
Uplay Plus: $15
Stadia Pro: $10
Twitch Prime (Amazon): $12
Nintendo Online: $4
Discord Nitro: $10

So less than two full priced games? I know there are yearly version of the subs that reduce the cost but I just wanted to get a rough Idea.

Let me know if I've forgotten anything with the cost. I'll add it here.

This is not counting MMO subs.

FYI, I don't plan on dong this.

Last edited:

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah people are moaning about the amount of subscriptions services but even if you had them all it's pretty cheap for the amount of games you could play.

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah people are moaning about the amount of subscriptions services but even if you had them all it's pretty cheap for the amount of games you could play.
Yeah. They gotta stop "moaning" since it's not their money... oh wait... It's their money and they have the right to moan or whatever.

OP
OP
Badcoo

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Is it really worth it if you're not even going to play most of those games? 93 a month for all that shit I'll barely play... I'd rather just buy a new game once every ~4 months or something. Old games that go on sale for ~15 every now and then is nice too.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
None of the subscription services, even combined that has the library I want, to let me play the games I want to play through them.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
It's less than two new releases, indeed, but there will be also a lot of overlap between the services.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Good point. But if someone would want game pass on pc and x1 - ultimate would be the best option, right?
Yeh, but you're comparing what are essentially PC subscription services with the purpose of finding the total cost, not so? So I think in that case, you should only consider how much it costs to access the services available on PC only.

If not then ignore me and add stuff like NSO and EA Access on the consoles too.

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
I am subscribed to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, PS Now, PS Plus, EA Access on Xbox, and Nintendo Online. I think those services are a really good deal because of the amount of games you get to access and play. I really wish Ubisofts UPlay Plus service would be on consoles because if you think about it is actually pretty good deal because buying the ultimate edition of Watch Dogs Leagion and Ghost Recon Breakpoint is $120 each and with UPlay Plus you get access to the ultimate editions of the game.

OP
OP
Badcoo

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
It's a game service you get access to NES classics and games like Tetris 99. Should be added.

Switch Online does not count because its primary purpose is to access the internet on your machine, like it is with PS Plus and Xbox Live Gold.

I added it anyways b/c there are some games you get that you wouldn't get anywhere. I don't think it's in line with the EA and Ubi service. But I can see someone getting it just for the NES games.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
"Twitch Prime (Amazon): $6"

Where are you getting this number from? Amazon Prime / Twitch Prime Monthly is $11.99.

Also PlayStation Now doesn't include PS+, so that should probably be added: $9.99

I think it'd be interesting if you did two breakdowns: A per month cost and a yearly cost.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
You could just get game pass ultimate and either uplay plus or ps now and be set for an entire generation, switch ps now out for humble if you don't want to stream.

OP
OP
Badcoo

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Don't forget GameFly (if in US).

This is a tough one. I agree it could have place here but I don't see it in the same line as these digital store fronts.

"Twitch Prime (Amazon): $6"

Where are you getting this number from? Amazon Prime / Twitch Prime Monthly is $11.99.

Also PlayStation Now doesn't include PS+, so that should probably be added: $9.99

I think it'd be interesting if you did two breakdowns: A per month cost and a yearly cost.

You are right. Corrected.

I thought about doing it yearly. Will look at that next.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I can buy all the games i can play in a month for that. Looks like a shit deal.

I dont need to pay over a hundred bucks a munth to have a 'wide selection'. I can buy what i want and have 'all the selection'.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Game subs are good value much like TV streaming subs but you don't get very much new content. If you sub to them all there will still be brand new games you want.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Yeah, it's the price of two new games. But that's per month and, frankly, kind of expensive considering the overlap. How many of us actually spend that much a month on new games and actually play them right away to justify such a thing?

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Arcade but we have no idea what it will cost, I imagine it'll be in line with most of the above, ~$10

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
Another thing that Sony could improve on PS Now is do what Xbox does with Game Pass and include new first party games on PS Now on release date. That would really make the service better.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the more realistic list is

Game Pass Ultimate: $15/mo or $100 (?)/yr
PS+: $40/yr during discounts
Nintendo Online: $20/yr (cheaper with family plans etc)
Apple Arcade (with kids): $10/mo

Maaaaaaaybe add in Stadia Pro for $10/mo but I doubt it'll be worth it except for a small niche. The rest don't really make much sense once you own the above list. If you are really into EA sports games then you probably don't care much about the above list. uPlay+ is gonna be a bit weird, they put out more games than EA but they tend to be so staggered out that I'm not sure its worth paying a sub fee. If they covered the games on ALL consoles and PC then it may be worth it a bit more.

Twitch Prime is more a side effect imo of having amazon prime for your deliveries and video and stuff, it doesn't make sense to sub to amazon prime JUST for twitch prime.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Apple Arcade has been missed FYI

Edit: Never mind, it's already been mentioned.

I'm very excited by the streaming subscription future. Very cost effective for me personally.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
That's pretty much what my cable bill used to cost me to basically watch 30-40 hockey games a year and practically nothing else.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the Nintendo Online family plan so I pay $20.

That's all I pay. I don't have the money to buy into all the services.

OP
OP
Badcoo

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Not counting Nintendo. There's only 9 subs out there right now? I must be missing something.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm not into Subscriptions for games. I want to choose what I want to play when I want to play it. All well and good having games available but if I don't want to play them what is the point? I found this out with PS Plus. Had hundreds of games. Any of them that I would have played - I already did. Be more adventurous is probably a Sub Fan's advice - I don't disagree but also fuck that I know what I like and I want to choose what I play and when. Waiting and hoping a game I want to play gets added to a Sub is not how I want to roll.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Another thing that Sony could improve on PS Now is do what Xbox does with Game Pass and include new first party games on PS Now on release date. That would really make the service better.

This gets said a lot but that' not a comparable offer when you look at the difference in the first party between the two companies.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
This gets said a lot but that' not a comparable offer when you look at the difference in the first party between the two companies.

Microsoft has added several studios under their belt and they still plan to continue adding all of their games day one to gamepass. At some point Sony will have to do the same.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft has added several studios under their belt and they still plan to continue adding all of their games day one to gamepass. At some point Sony will have to do the same.

For sure. If Microsoft and get several studios up to speed and producing games have a very high caliber in 5 to 10 years, offer all those day one on game pass, sony should respond in kind. That would be a similar offer. In the present day and apparently years to come, the equivalence you suggest is actually quite lopsided.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of depressing when I add some of these up (regardless of what I paid), plus my streaming video and music subs.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
For sure. If Microsoft and get several studios up to speed and producing games have a very high caliber in 5 to 10 years, offer all those day one on game pass, sony should respond in kind. That would be a similar offer. In the present day and apparently years to come, the equivalence you suggest is actually quite lopsided.

Don't know why say in 5 to 10 years. Several of the studios Microsoft added already had games in development. Just look at Double Fine with Psychonauts 2 and Ninja Theory with Bleeding Edge. You can be sure that there are several game announcements that Microsoft will probably save for the next Xbox announcement as well. So sooner rather than later Sony will probably have to make a decision on this.

Last edited: