• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one-off Zelda entry would you like to see a sequel to?

• Link's Awakening

Votes: 102 16.6%
  • Twilight Princess

Votes: 177 28.8%
  • Oracle of Ages/Seasons

Votes: 48 7.8%
  • Minish Cap

Votes: 73 11.9%
  • Skyward Sword

Votes: 88 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 127 20.7%

• Total voters
Oct 24, 2019
Some Zelda games have received a direct sequel. For example:
  • Legend of Zelda --> The Adventure of Link
  • A Link to the Past --> A Link Between Worlds
  • Ocarina of Time --> Majora's Mask
  • Wind Waker --> Phantom Hourglass
  • Breath of the Wild --> Breath of the Wild 2
However, many others have existed in their own little bubble, without a follow-up that expands upon their story, art direction, etc. So, the question is, of the remaining Zelda games that have never gotten a direct sequel, which one would you be most interested in seeing?

Forgive me if I've missed anything in the poll :p

Edit:
Just to clarify about the poll: I didn't include anything that already is a sequel/has a sequel (Wind Waker has a direct sequel, and A Link Between Worlds is a direct sequel, for example) since I just wanted to focus on the games that are just kind of in their own little sphere with no clear continuation of their aesthetic or gimmicks or story :p

I realized a lot of people were listing things like Wind Waker 2 or Adventure of Link 2, so I put "other" on the poll for that kind of thing.

Last edited:

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's not a choice as Zelda 2 is a direct sequel to 1, but considering there isn't another one like it: Zelda 2 (no, CDi doesn't count) . I just really want another 2d sidescrolling Zelda.

/edit: of the poll options, Link's Awakening. There's potential for a sequel there (although I consider LA a direct sequel to LttP anyway)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Skyward Sword 2 feels like a really natural extension of the open air Zelda title we got in BotW. Explore a vast land that and help slowly build the foundations of Hyrule.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Majora's Mask.

The Hero of Time's story always felt to me like it needed a conclusion - especially what with his cameo in Twilight Princess hinting at a storied and tragic life.

What happened to our boy after he went off into the woods, alone, once Termina had been saved?

We deserve to know!

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Zelda 2
I'd be legitimately interested in how they'd go about revisiting the side-scroll action-platformer archetype.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Majora's Mask.

The Hero of Time's story always felt to me like it needed a conclusion - especially what with his cameo in Twilight Princess hinting at a storied and tragic life.

What happened to our boy after he went off into the woods, alone, once Termina had been saved?

We deserve to know!
Let's have a Hero of Time trilogy along with a remaster of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask!

Damn, Nintendo should just hire me as their idea man.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Link's Awakening is already the sequel to the Oracle games.

I know that some encyclopedia released later says that the Oracle games are the sequels to Link's Awakening, but the point still stands.

...Also, that encyclopedia is totally wrong lol.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Skyward Sword. I really liked that art style, it's gorgeous, and the characters were much more interesting than the ones in the game that followed. I think a new combat system (which I actually liked quite a bit, although I understand it's not the most liked) and changing up how much Skyloft feels like a hub world could do wonders. Basically, keep the art style and the characters, change everything else.

Oracle of Ages/Seasons were my favorite 2D Zeldas until A Link Between Worlds. While I wouldn't necessarily want a sequel, I would like to see the 3rd game that was planned for development at one point.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Does it have to be the same genre? If not, a Actraiser-type Skyward Sword sequel, part building sim (build up Hyrule after Demise is gone) and part 3D Action-Adventure (clear the rest of Demise's minions to protect the new cities).

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Majoras Mask. I want to see what the hero of time got up to between leaving Termina and becoming a skeleton warrior

Oct 27, 2017
Out of the options Minish Cap. Absolutely loved the art, music and style. The shrinking mechanic was fun too. I'd love a sequel to Wind Waker tho that shows how the world got flooded

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Honestly, having "one" direct Zelda sequel just isn't enough for me.

Majora's Mask needs a direct sequel to make the Hero of Time's story into a trilogy.

Twilight Princess needs a direct sequel to find out what happened to the Hero of Twilight at the end there.

BOTW 2 needs a direct sequel (and will likely get one) because I just love the potential of the entire setting.

And Skyward Sword needs a direct sequel 'cause of this idea:

Does it have to be the same genre? If not, a Actraiser-type Skyward Sword sequel, part building sim (build up Hyrule after Demise is gone) and part 3D Action-Adventure (clear the rest of Demise's minions to protect the new cities).

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
None of the above tbh. If you had asked me if I wanted a direct sequel to any of the games that have one I would have also said no despite Majora's being my favorite Zelda

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
the lack of Wind Waker and A Link Between Worlds on the pool is bad :b

I might've struggled to phrase it properly in the OP, but I didn't include anything that is already a sequel/has a sequel (Wind Waker has a direct sequel, and A Link Between Worlds is a direct sequel) since I just wanted to focus on the games that are just kind of in their own little sphere with no clear continuation of their aesthetic or gimmicks or story :p

I realized a lot of people were listing things like Wind Waker 2 or Adventure of Link 2, so I put "other" on the poll for that kind of thing.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1e353w.jpg

Troy Baker as Link

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An "other" option would be nice, if possible!

Above all else, I want Hyrule Warriors 2. Keep all the content from the first one, expand on adventure mode even more, maybe nerf the bosses too. I cannot stress enough that Hyrule Warrior's Adventure Mode is my fav post game of all time. I need more. Some characters I'd want to see in the sequel:
  1. Groose
  2. Vaati
  3. Urubosa
  4. Kass
  5. Beedle (moveset takes influence from both WW and BotW)
  6. Snot kid from the starting island of Wind Waker. He could use the snot as a flail.
  7. Twinrova
  8. King Zora from OoT
  9. fuck it, Malo from TP.

10. Out of the five listed in OP tho I went with Minish Cap. Man I'd love to see some more Vaati.

I want another Zelda that plays like Majora's Mask (time mechanics, or at least a focus on side quests/atmosphere instead of cinematics/dungeons)... but I think it Nintendo tries to recapture the magic of MM it wouldn't work. I would love to see BotW 2 take heavy influence from MM.

a smaller game that's meant to be a sequel to Adventure of Link would be cool. I played thru Zelda 1 and 2 in late 2016 and had more fun with Adventure of Link tbh (I think that's mainly due to playing Zelda 1 in 2016 felt like a less-refined, more open LttP, instead of a fresh experience that didn't compare to any other entries)

An Oracle remake changing the duology into the originally-planned Triforce Trilogy would be cool, but I assume a bunch of ideas from the scrapped 3rd game became part of Seasons/Ages. It would probably be tough making the third one without basically making a new game.

Oct 27, 2017
OP, Spirit Tracks is not a direct sequel to Phantom Hourglass. It's on the same timeline, but the Link and Zelda of that game are different to those from WW/PH.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Wind waker, which we would have got if it wasnt for people asking for muh mature zelda. Instead we got the ds whatever games instead.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Skyward Sword. I'd like to see this concept done on a better hardware.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
If I had to choose, I would settle with Skyward Sword or Spirit Tracks, with the caveat that the sequel has to expand on Link X Zelda's relationship in any way, because I feel that the 2 are the best in that area out of the whole series.