• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If you were to cook and stack 2 identical lasagnas, would they become 1 large lasagna or remain 2?

• Chad's right - It is one large lasagna

Votes: 656 76.5%
  • Blaine's right - It is two lasagnas

Votes: 201 23.5%

• Total voters

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine someone coming to a family gathering and saying they were gonna bring two lasagnas. They show up and lay one tray down...

"Thought you were gonna bring two?"

"I did. They're stacked on top of teach other!"

"..."

KelThaFunkee

Oct 27, 2017
if you stack them while they're hot, there's a chance they will become one. If you let the cool/dry/harden, that's two lasagnas.

Source: I've eaten leftover lasagna

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
The cake argument doesn't work because you are making it one cake by adding frosting to make it cohesive. If you just stack the cakes with no frosting its multiple cakes.

Are you adding anything to the lasanga to make it cohesive? Like covering the stack in additional sauce? If yes 1 lasanga. Just stacking? 2 lasanga.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Anyone that cooked a decent lasagna know that it is 2 lasagnas. You can have infinite layers of the bottom part, but the top of a lasagna is different (we usually do a bechamel with Parmigiano Regiano).

It's like saying 2 burgers stacked are in fact one big burger. The 2 breads are the defining layers of where the burger starts and ends.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
The cake argument doesn't work because you are making it one cake by adding frosting to make it cohesive. If you just stack the cakes with no frosting its multiple cakes.

Are you adding anything to the lasanga to make it cohesive? Like covering the stack in additional sauce? If yes 1 lasanga. Just stacking? 2 lasanga.
That's a good point, if you put extra sauce on top of the bottom lasagna it is possible that they actually merge and form a big one, if it is all cohesive.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Milk and cereal is a homogenous thing. Lasagna is not.

You can sprinkle in some more cereal and milk and it's a bigger serving. You can take a club sandwich, bread, stuff, bread, stuff, bread, and add another layer of stuff and bread and you've got a growing club sandwich. You can remove stuff-bread layers and it's a shrinking club sandwich.

You can't take two complete burgers distinct bottom bun, stuff, distinct top bun, put one on top of the other, and call it one big burger. Cooked lasagna has a bottom, has a top, and those bring different textures. At best you could take lasagna 2, remove the top and bottom layers, split lasagna 1 in the middle and shove lasagna 2's defiled remains in there and if appropriately inserted and layered get away with saying it's 1 lasagna but what even are we doing at that point.

I'm with Tobor .
Don't you dare try and get between me and my double-height lasagna.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

You don't need additional sauce... the top has sauce on like every other layer, it just has a little extra cheese... which is also in the sauce. And once the top becomes the joining layer, the cheese just mixes with the sauce like... evey other layer.

It's always 1.

Sep 17, 2018
In italian, lasagna refers to one wide, flat sheet of pasta. Lasagne is the (feminine) plural form and the proper term for the layered dish.

So you never eat "a lasagna", you eat "some lasagne" or just "lasagne". If you stack two portions on top of each other, you just have more lasagne lol.

5lg6nucx3re41.jpg

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
You don't need additional sauce... the top has sauce on like every other layer, it just has a little extra cheese... which is also in the sauce. And once the top becomes the joining layer, the cheese just mixes with the sauce like... evey other layer.

It's always 1.
The top layer of cheese is distinct. Its browned and crisped into a semi solid sheet, it won't just mix unless you do something to it. The cohesive element could also be applied to the sides of the lasagna, say a layer of breadcrumbs, or some kind of wrap like a bacon weave. The point is that there needs to be an additional step otherwise its just two finished dishes stacked.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
layers is important too - I don't know if there is a strict definition but isn't it like 3 layers? Having 6 or infinite layers arguably takes it beyond Lasagne into something so far away as to need a different name.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
You would have a single, two-tiered lasagne.

Exactly the same way this is a two-tiered cake:
Each cake is baked separately...actually multiple cakes are baked...but then each one is 'finished' by fully frosting it, and then they are stacked. Noone in their right mind would call that two cakes. That is a single, two-tiered cake.
20180424_015215000_iOS-copy.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
The slightly Burnt Cheese Layer (BCL) that's on top of the lasagna is my favourite part of lasagna, which is why when you stack one on top of the other it becomes 2 lasagna. The BCL signifies the lasagna's beginning, everything underneath the BCL is part of that single lasagna.

If your lasagna doesn't have a BCL, I don't want it.

Cast my vote for two before looking at replies. This is the correct assessment and the right answer. Anyone who disagrees is just wrong.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The slightly Burnt Cheese Layer (BCL) that's on top of the lasagna is my favourite part of lasagna, which is why when you stack one on top of the other it becomes 2 lasagna. The BCL signifies the lasagna's beginning, everything underneath the BCL is part of that single lasagna.

If your lasagna doesn't have a BCL, I don't want it.

Correct. Every post in this thread since this one has been pointless.

It's true that not all lasagnas have a BCL. It's also true that those lasagnas are shit and need not be considered.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
who makes a lasagna with a layers without sauce

we ain't adding sauce to the top, we just stacking

it's 2, the one ontop thanks to the crispy layer of cheese separating the two like every lasagna ever made ever has

you psycho
It's two because of the top crispy layer. It's a barrier that defines a single lasagne.

If your lasagne doesn't have a top crispy layer then it doesn't count as lasagne because it sucks and therefore there is 0 lasagne in this scenario
This is correct. Thank you.

Poll results are disappointing as always. Won't be the first time Era is so wrong.

I'm seeing double here! Four lasagnas!
lmao

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
In italian, lasagna refers to one wide, flat sheet of pasta. Lasagne is the (feminine) plural form and the proper term for the layered dish.

So you never eat "a lasagna", you eat "some lasagne" or just "lasagne". If you stack two portions on top of each other, you just have more lasagne lol.

5lg6nucx3re41.jpg
Lol, exactly. This is like asking "if you pour milk on top of milk is that one milk or 2 milks?"

PizzaKing

May 24, 2019
You would have a single, two-tiered lasagne.

Exactly the same way this is a two-tiered cake:
Each cake is baked separately...actually multiple cakes are baked...but then each one is 'finished' by fully frosting it, and then they are stacked. Noone in their right mind would call that two cakes. That is a single, two-tiered cake.
20180424_015215000_iOS-copy.jpg
I would say 2 cakes. but If I was going to eat it, I would say "im having some cake"

2 lasagnas. or "double lasagna" like we call a double cheeseburger

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna brute-force memes since people are bored with sandwich arguments.

Got my own noodle scratcher! - If I make a hog dog, enlarge the bun and add a lot of shredded lettuce. Then take the processed hot-dog meat and slice it thin and pay a pedophile to convince you to eat it. Is it still a Hot Dog?

gettyimages-134735704.jpg

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
'but you cover it with icing so it's one cohesive cake'

angel_slices_2019_1024x450.png

ONE CAKE OR THREE?
Cakes typically have different frosting on the top than in the middle, usually with decoration. This also appears to be the case here. It's one cake, but if you a similar slice on top of it, it'd be two cakes.

One cake:
melt-and-mix-triple-choc-layer-cake-98301-1.jpeg

^ Stack another identical cake on that, and it'll make a mess of two cakes.

These two burgers, man.
bigmac.jpg
This is one burger because the top bun is also different and defines the edge of the burger.

Y'all are playing dumb!

Nov 8, 2017
If it's intended to be eaten as a single lasagna, then it's one lasagna. If it's intended to be seperated into two halves before consumption, then it's two lasagnas.

PizzaKing

May 24, 2019
It's interesting that you made both of those singular. "A double cheeseburger" "A double lasagna"
yeah you're right, in the mean time and in cases like these its kinda disingenuous to call it a single or two separate lasagnas, but a double lasagna theory may bring unity.

if we have only 2 choices though im still on team 2 lasagnas (piled)

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
A finished product is a finished product. Place two on top of each other and you have two finished products stacked on top of each other.

If you were making a 12 layer cake you wouldn't have finished the 2 cakes before stacking them. You'd finish them after stacking. Simple as that.

Agreed. Idk wtf with these replies

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Wait ya'll don't put a big fat lot of cheese on the top of your lasagnas?? Get it all nice and brown??

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The top layer of cheese is distinct. Its browned and crisped into a semi solid sheet, it won't just mix unless you do something to it. The cohesive element could also be applied to the sides of the lasagna, say a layer of breadcrumbs, or some kind of wrap like a bacon weave. The point is that there needs to be an additional step otherwise its just two finished dishes stacked.
It is no longer distinct when it becomes a layer. It is, in effect, just more cheese in the cheese sauce.

A lasagne is simply: tomato based sauce-> pasta sheet -> cheese sauce, over and over. The top layer just sometimes has a bit more cheese on top than the other layers, but it is only cheese not a new ingredient. It doesn't matter if it is browned.

If it is "semi-solid" you have cooked your lasange badly. It should be soft, the crispy layer should be thin and yield easily to the touch revealing the soft cheese sauce layer underneath.
The top layer is covered in copious amounts of cheese, which the other layers are not.
You'd be stacking a cheese topped lasagne on top of another cheese topped lasagne.
It should not be covered in "copies amounts of cheese".

You people are making terrible lasagne.

Oct 29, 2017
It's all dependent on temperature. If they melt together, then they are one lasagna even if cooked separately, but if you cook them and then let them cool and they don't melt when you put one in top of the other, then they are two.

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
A good lasagna alla bolognese has a top, which is a brittle crust made of Parmigiano and besciamella (google translate suggests bechamel... look it up!).

If you stack two of them, you have two lasagnas.
HOWEVER! If you put them side by side, you have one large lasagna, pre-cut in the middle.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
It is no longer distinct when it becomes a layer. It is, in effect, just more cheese in the cheese sauce.

A lasagne is simply: tomato based sauce-> pasta sheet -> cheese sauce, over and over. The top layer just sometimes has a bit more cheese on top than the other layers, but it is only cheese not a new ingredient. It doesn't matter if it is browned.

If it is "semi-solid" you have cooked your lasange badly. It should be soft, the crispy layer should be thin and yield easily to the touch revealing the soft cheese sauce layer underneath.

It should not be covered in "copies amounts of cheese".

You people are making terrible lasagne.

Are you seriously gatekeeping how lasagna is made? Its one of the oldest most varied recipes on the planet. But you just brush us off by saying we make bad lasagna. lol

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Are you seriously gatekeeping how lasagna is made? Its one of the oldest most varied recipes on the planet. But you just brush us off by saying we make bad lasagna. lol
Yes.

If you put "copious amounts of cheese" on it and/or your top layer is "semi-solid", you have made a bad lasagne and cooked it poorly.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Gonna brute-force memes since people are bored with sandwich arguments.

Got my own noodle scratcher! - If I make a hog dog, enlarge the bun and add a lot of shredded lettuce. Then take the processed hot-dog meat and slice it thin and pay a pedophile to convince you to eat it. Is it still a Hot Dog?

gettyimages-134735704.jpg
Anything made with a hot dog is undeniably tainted by said hot dog but does not necessarily become a hot dog. I guess it's like being possessed by evil (The Exorcist) versus being evil (Jared).

And as far as we know, that would be the last time he would ever get paid to eat something. He somehow managed to fuck up the easiest job on planet Earth.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
The boundaries of the lasagna are determined at the time you assemble and bake it—they're the surfaces exposed to the pan and heat of the oven. The extra browning they get and their different textures as a result are crucial to the dish. No amount of post-bake rearrangement changes that.