• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
When Kakashi brings the team together for icebreakers and introductions and one of the first things Sasuke says is that his goal is to kill someone....what a psychopath.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The friendship was a retcon and the only good act of selflessness on Sasuke's part was in the beginning when he took those needles. I could be wrong; maybe I wiped most of the nonsense out of my brain.

Nah, that ain't true. We saw Sasuke try to sacrifice himself for Sakura and Naruto against Gaara. He even called Naruto and Sakura dear to him and his friends.

41fa49e100bd39e4c53a096040521865d156e94e.png

And we saw Sasuke get worried over Naruto when he heard about Itachi facing him.

It's only after Itachi tortures him again that Sasuke loses a lot of the good character development that he's had up until that moment.

Before that, Sasuke was a pretty standard rival character.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more annoyed by Sakura and the fact that her entire obsession with him is based on him being a hot bad boy and nothing else.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I forgot about that lol. Why is he gone so much?

'cause he's atoning for his sins and that's sort of his role in the village as Supporting Kage. Naruto handles the domestic issues and Sasuke handles the threats outside the village.

He's a one man CIA.

Ironically, I feel like the dudes that left with Naruto at the beginning of the Retrieval Arc are Naruto's real best friends.

Specifically Shikamaru.

Shikamaru is Naruto's a best friend but Sasuke is Naruto's (spirit) brother. That is how it's portrayed.

Kiba, Choji and Neji? Nah. Naruto doesn't really hang out with them or have contact with them as teens or even as adults.

Kiba and Neji are closer to friendly acquaintances of Naruto.

(And Naruto doesn't even have an actual relationship with Tenten or Ino)

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I think we can all agree that Sasuke did nothing wrong, and he was treated very unfairly by everyone in the series.

'cause he's atoning for his sins and that's sort of his role in the village as Supporting Kage. Naruto handles the domestic issues and Sasuke handles the threats outside the village.

He's a one man CIA.
Regardless of what got him to that point, I think it's a good role for grown-up Sasuke

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the attempt at Sakura's life even tho
the truth is he didn't like Sakura like that but was only attracted to her cause she had eyes for Sasuke(Best bullshit excuse to say he always cared about Hinata btw).

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Back in the first season. Dudes an asshole and Naruto is an idiot, so is Sakura.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Moment he tried to kill me the dude is getting put in the ground. Fuck that edgy asshole.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
The series never does a great job building up their actual friendship. I'm still baffled why everyone went out of their way to constantly help him or try to save him. It's never really justified and mostly is driven in that direction because the plot demands it.
The friendship was a retcon and the only good act of selflessness on Sasuke's part was in the beginning when he took those needles. I could be wrong; maybe I wiped most of the nonsense out of my brain.
This. They never felt like friends and Sasuke seemed to actively dislike Naruto and most people in general.
I realized that part of why I felt that Naruto's friendship with Sasuke was so real and precious were the stupid filler that I was too young and stupid to realize were filler. Even the mini arcs like the race they did together before Orochi's crew shows up.

Naruto's unconditional love for Sasuke was infectious to me.
I didn't care about Sasuke but I cared about his redemption. I cared because Naruto cared.

and god damn Naruto's panic attack when his friends tell him "the village has decided that Sasuke needs to be put down. And we're going to carry out the order" was weirdly relatable to me.

tumblr_pougtzlRJy1s1n6fio2_r1_1280.gifv

-but the real answer is
Sasuke's attempt to kill Sakura should have been the last straw. If Kakashi hadn't intervened at the last second, she would be dead. That should have been an unforgivable act to Naruto given his character.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
the truth is he didn't like Sakura like that but was only attracted to her cause she had eyes for Sasuke(Best bullshit excuse to say he always cared about Hinata btw).

I realized that part of why I felt that Naruto's friendship with Sasuke was so real and precious were the stupid filler that I was too young and stupid to realize were filler. Even the mini arcs like the race they did together before Orochi's crew shows up.

I didn't care about Sasuke but I cared about his redemption. I cared because Naruto cared.

but the real answer is-

But when you think about it, Sakura was attempting to murder Sakura both those times so ehhh.

XraRDnUvA4a9k-wttL6vAeS8PRiUHizw4nG6Q-zYxb0.png

tumblr_inline_p7g52cAeTX1qaxqx7_1280.png

MrZaha

Jan 9, 2018
Sasuke's attempt to kill Sakura should have been the last straw. If Kakashi hadn't intervened at the last second, she would be dead. That should have been an unforgivable act to Naruto given his character.
But she was there to kill him though, how are his actions unfogivable when she was there to try and kill him.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
When he tried to kill me and didn't give a shit about the people that risked their lives trying to save him or when he tried to Sakura

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

and god damn Naruto's panic attack when his friends tell him "the village has decided that Sasuke needs to be put down. And we're going to carry out the order" was weirdly relatable to me.

tumblr_pougtzlRJy1s1n6fio2_r1_1280.gifv

-but the real answer is
Yeah Part 1 definitely should have spent more time developing their friendship

Sep 14, 2019
Naruto exhibited toxic clinginess. It's a bad message for the kids.

This right here.

An old boyfriend of mine loved Naruto, one reason being that Naruto always found the good in everyone and could befriend even his enemies. All about empathy, etc. This is one reason that boyfriend fell for me, because I had that same mentality...

... Of course this is the reason why I kept ending up in abusive relationships (both romantic and platonic), that same boyfriend being one of those abusers.

Believing in redemption, people changing, there being good deep inside a troubled person is a good lesson, but my goodness... Sometimes I feel animated shows, in particular Naruto, go a bit too far with this lesson.

To me, that line sounds more like what a jealous boy (struggling with his orientation) who has a crush on another boy would do.

Last edited:

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
When the motherfucker breaks my spine in the valley the first fight before timeskip. That's it, we're beefing.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
During the summit, he was so bad
d63k9qu-95c6d793-a484-461e-8e0d-91025f81bc71.jpg

Everything would be solved if there were therapists in the Ninja World.

When the motherfucker breaks my spine in the valley the first fight before timeskip. That's it, we're beefing.

A lot of that fight is anime-only. Sasuke never broke Naruto's spine for instance. Naruto enters the One Tailed State while Sasuke was holding him underwater though and it's more Naruto getting desperate to win rather than the Nine Tails giving Naruto a revival.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I echo the point where he tried to kill Sakura.
When he tried to kill me and didn't give a shit about the people that risked their lives trying to save him or when he tried to Sakura
Btw I gave up on Naruto too when Sasuke almost killed Sakura and he was like "but Sasuke we're all team 7"
Probably would have been when he tried to kill Sakura twice in like 10 minutes. But for the most part within the shounen stupid powerful characters and relationships are more simple standpoint the dude was fine until he went on his killing spree. Before, he wasn't really killing people unless they were direct obstacles to his main goal. Someone said the Kage summit and that makes the most sense to me in terms of this dude is a threat and can't be reached.

So here's the reason why I can't fault Naruto for not holding that against Sasuke.

If my friend went out of her way to shoot at John Wick and then John Wick shot back and almost killed her, I wouldn't really hold it against John Wick at all for that because self-defense.

There are plenty of other reasons for Naruto to drop Sasuke but that specific reasoning never really flew for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that ain't true. We saw Sasuke try to sacrifice himself for Sakura and Naruto against Gaara. He even called Naruto and Sakura dear to him and his friends.

41fa49e100bd39e4c53a096040521865d156e94e.png

And we saw Sasuke get worried over Naruto when he heard about Itachi facing him.

It's only after Itachi tortures him again that Sasuke loses a lot of the good character development that he's had up until that moment.

Before that, Sasuke was a pretty standard rival character.
I feel like this property (and by extension, many shonen) have a terrible aversion to the rule of writing "show don't tell". Like we only know he considers him precious because he says it in a dramatic moment. We never actually see it.

RDC just did a hilarious video on this trope:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
This right here.

An old boyfriend of mine loved Naruto, one reason being that Naruto always found the good in everyone and could befriend even his enemies. All about empathy, etc. This is one reason that boyfriend fell for me, because I had that same mentality...

... Of course this is the reason why I kept ending up in abusive relationships (both romantic and platonic), that same boyfriend being one of those abusers.

I believe in redemption, people changing, there being good deep inside a troubled person, but my goodness... Sometimes I feel animated shows, in particular Naruto, go a bit too far with this lesson.
That's a really good point.

Not about Naruto being toxic/clingy, but about the series giving a harmful message that could be easily misinterpreted by younger or impressionable audience.

Naruto's empathy and love are part of why I enjoy him as a protagonist. But mimicking Naruto's self-destructive depths of forgiveness does not translate well into real-life. I too had a pattern of staying in abusive relationships and keeping abusive friends in my life. I looked at the causation for their behavior, I felt empathy and sorrow for them and I loved them for the good traits. But for a long time I struggled to exit relationships that were harmful to me. Obviously I didn't pick this up from Naruto but I could see younger viewers and readers taking this lesson away from the series.

It's actually a problem with a lot of shonen. Naruto, Dragon Ball Z and One Piece are all notorious for keeping shitheel abusive characters around "because they're my friend no matter what" or forgiving despicably evil acts just because the character becomes a convenient ally or helps win a fight--- sometimes characters are forgiven without doing anything even remotely redemptive.

It makes me appreciate when series show characters breaking ties with abusers. It's too rare.

I'm sorry for your experience by the way. That sounds painful.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this property (and by extension, many shonen) have a terrible aversion to the rule of writing "show don't tell". Like we only know he considers him precious because he says it in a dramatic moment. We never actually see it.

I like RDC and his videos they're hilarious

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

I mean that very scene is him trying to sacrifice his life so Naruto and Sakura can get away. So that would be showing.

It's just being not being subtle about the fact that Sasuke cares about them by spelling it out via dialogue why Sasuke is choosing to sacrifice himself for them which makes sense since Naruto is marketed toward 12 year olds and you can't really be subtle with them.

But for the most part you are correct just not for this scene.

Oct 27, 2017
The series never does a great job building up their actual friendship. I'm still baffled why everyone went out of their way to constantly help him or try to save him. It's never really justified and mostly is driven in that direction because the plot demands it.
This. It spend more time telling us they were friends than showing us and in the fight between them in the Valley of the End they didn't seem like friends fighting each other, more like enemies trying their best to kill the other. Contrast that to the Usopp vs Luffy fight where there's a very strongly established friendship before it and the fight itself shows they're just trying to win, not kill the other (with Luffy even holding back most of it)

Hexcalibur

Jun 24, 2020
Ironically, I feel like the dudes that left with Naruto at the beginning of the Retrieval Arc are Naruto's real best friends.

Specifically Shikamaru.
Absolutely. The ones who agreed to go with him, especially Shikamaru, as well as Lee and Gaara who basically turned up of their own accord were Narutos actual friends, ... And mostly got sidelined and ignored for their trouble.

Funnily enough, we've been getting a lotta scenes of Naruto hanging out with Kiba, Choji and Shikamaru when he was a kid and I think even Sasuke says Shikamaru is Naruto's best friend in Boruto lol.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Funnily enough, we've been getting a lotta scenes of Naruto hanging out with Kiba, Choji and Shikamaru when he was a kid and I think even Sasuke says Shikamaru is Naruto's best friend in Boruto lol.

The Kiba, Choji and Shikamaru stuff is also all anime filler. Naruto was a loner as a kid. He never hung out with anyone. The anime undercut that by trying to make Kid Naruto into a playmate for Kiba, Choji and Shikamaru. No idea why would they would contradict the fact that Naruto was ostracized as a child.

Hell, Shikamaru, Kiba and Choji's introductions into the series is Naruto going "fuck these guys".

Sasuke doesn't say that in Boruto either. I don't think Sasuke's ever said anything about Shikamaru in either anime.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I mean that very scene is him trying to sacrifice his life so Naruto and Sakura can get away. So that would be showing.

It's just being not being subtle about the fact that Sasuke cares about them by spelling it out via dialogue why Sasuke is choosing to sacrifice himself for them which makes sense since Naruto is marketed toward 12 year olds and you can't really be subtle with them.

But for the most part you are correct just not for this scene.
But that's where I disagree, respectfully of course! (more on the fundamentals of children programming)

I think kids are way more perceptive than we give them credit for. I think the entire industry believes what you said, when approaching things 'for kids', but I feel like they have the capacity to pick up on a ton of nuance (and it would also help them emotionally develop faster, too!)

That's just my mini-rant on the subject. I think its a problem not just in Japan but lots of Western cartoons too.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As some others have said, the moment he tried to kill Sakura should have been it.

That they got married and had a kid is just idiotic.

Oct 29, 2017
When he tried to kill me?

Yeah, I think getting stabbed in the chest is a pretty good sign to cut someone off.

Naruto's desperate need to "save" Sasuke after that--and abandoning the village in the first place--never made sense to me. Which hung over all of Part 2 like a cloud. And if that wasn't enough, Sasuke trying to kill him AGAIN after they finally reunited should've sealed it.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah, I think getting stabbed in the chest is a pretty good sign to cut someone off.

Naruto's desperate need to "save" Sasuke after that--and abandoning the village in the first place--never made sense to me. Which hung over all of Part 2 like a cloud. And if that wasn't enough, Sasuke trying to kill him AGAIN after they finally reunited should've sealed it.

YeH. At that point he's made it clear he would kill you all
Probably post-Timeskip when you tried to save him from Orochimaru's base. That's when Naruto and co. should've realized that Sasuke was way too far gone and should've cut the corruption right then and there.

Funnily enough, Sasuke was actually faking it in that scene since Sasuke has a no kill rule until the truth about Itachi comes out. So Sasuke was never going to kill Naruto and Sakura, he was just putting up a show for Orochimaru and to get them to fuck off.

Ed-jUPUU8AAVkSN.png

017.jpg

Sasuke won't even kill random Sound Ninja or Cursed Seal Level 2 prisoners.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
When Haku almost got him on that bridge. Clearly he was the weak link.

I stopped watching after 20 episodes. Not out of disinterest, just... hm. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Until the infiltration on Orochimaru's base.

So here's the reason why I can't fault Naruto for not holding that against Sasuke.

If my friend went out of her way to shoot at John Wick and then John Wick shot back and almost killed her, I wouldn't really hold it against John Wick at all for that because self-defense.

There are plenty of other reasons for Naruto to drop Sasuke but that specific reasoning never really flew for me.

Legally speaking, Sasuke was a missing-nin, a deserter, a terrorist and a criminal. In terms of Naruto's mindset, he told the Cloud nin he would hold Sasuke's deaths against them. So by that reasoning his ideals aren't consistent and completely fall apart.