• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
First of all, nobody is trying to put the option of streaming over native play. Secondly…Puppeteer? Tokyo Jungle? 3D Dot Heroes? These are available to stream?

If Sony was able to remedy this PS3 BC situation I swear I would forever stop talking shit. It's the thing that irritates me the most about them.

I just checked, Tokyo Jungle and Puppeteer are both available to stream on psnow, I thought as much cause I remember playing them on the service years back :P

No 3d dot heroes unfortunately :/

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Honestly, they need to put the time and effort in on this one.

The cost/benefit must be there, and library flex would be a huge hearts and minds announcement.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Phil said at E3 later that year that over half of Xbox One users had played a BC title, so that's not accurate.

These aren't the same stats. Half of all Xbox One users can play at least one BC title, but that doesn't show how long they actually play those compared to more modern releases.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
PS store is indeed trash, but I see it as a better alternative than paying a subscription to rent access to games. PS3 is also very stable solution for playing PS1 and PS3 discs. PS2 is a whole separate issue, but considering the large PS1 digital catalog still existing on PS3, this whole digital sub business is a step back.

I thought I saw some people saying Sony is working on having PS classics being purchasable and that this was being corroborated by some insiders with knowledge.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Sony can't keep making new Cells and RSXs forever. They have to move PS Plus/Now's PS3 games to another compute platform at some point, and that's going to mean emulation or those games will have to be taken off the service.

They'll definitely have to cross that bridge at some point. They can't keep those PS3 racks running forever.

The demand to play PS3 games is only going to diminish moving forward as the people who remember them start to die away. Why would Sony be looking at it from any kind of expansive point of view? I doubt they will add any more custom hardware than they already have now.

Arkham

Nov 12, 2017
Just give me new versions of Pain!, Resistance, and Warhawk. Throw in Colony Wars as a curveball and we be good. Nothing else is beholden to the PS3 for me.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen some people say that "most of the important games are already on PS4 anyway" or something similar, but I don't quite know where that impression comes from. Even if you were to only look at Sony's own IP, and obviously exclude iterative licensed stuff like Gran Turismo and MLB, there's like, what, 10 PS3-to-PS4 remasters if that?

You got (off the top of my head):
Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection (Uncharted 1-3)
The Last of Us Part I Remastered
God of War III Remastered
LittleBigPlanet 3 (released cross-gen simultaneously between PS3 and PS4)
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Heavy Rain Remastered
Beyond: Two Souls Remastered
Journey Remastered

But this isn't even a third of the marquee titles SIE released on PS3; there's no Killzone, no Infamous, no Resistance, no MotorStorm, no Ratchet and Clank, and nothing from Japan Studio sans the above the Shadow of the Colossus.

And that's without even getting into big 3rd-party games and exclusives, which is arguably even more dire. Xbox Series has a better version of Final Fantasy XIII to play than the PS5! That is wild.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Wait, do we know if PS3 emulation is 100% possible?

RPCS3 can run a few number of PS3 games on Steam Deck at full speed without any issues. And that is a software made by a group of volunteers for free running on a handheld pc that is way less powerful than PS5. I'm sure Sony can figure something out if they want to.

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
I've seen some people say that "most of the important games are already on PS4 anyway" or something similar, but I don't quite know where that impression comes from. Even if you were to only look at Sony's own IP, and obviously exclude iterative licensed stuff like Gran Turismo and MLB, there's like, what, 10 PS3-to-PS4 remasters if that?

You got (off the top of my head):
Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection (Uncharted 1-3)
The Last of Us Part I Remastered
God of War III Remastered
LittleBigPlanet 3 (released cross-gen simultaneously between PS3 and PS4)
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Heavy Rain Remastered
Beyond: Two Souls Remastered
Journey Remastered

But this isn't even a third of the marquee titles SIE released on PS3; there's no Killzone, no Infamous, no Resistance, no MotorStorm, no Ratchet and Clank, and nothing from Japan Studio sans the above the Shadow of the Colossus.

And that's without even getting into big 3rd-party games and exclusives, which is arguably even more dire. Xbox Series has a better version of Final Fantasy XIII to play than the PS5! That is wild.

So many smaller PSN titles from that gen and the ps2 collections that had games running at 1080p 60fps and are the best legal options for those ps2 games and puppeteer and sly 4 and so many more! It's one of the saddest things to me about gaming rn

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
RPCS3 can run a few number of PS3 games on Steam Deck at full speed without any issues. And that is a software made by a group of volunteers for free running on a handheld pc that is way less powerful than PS5. I'm sure Sony can figure something out if they want to.

This is impressive tbh.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
that's pretty impressive. the frame rate is a little concerning given how little is happening on screen, but it doesn't drop below 30fps which is a fair effort.
wut the framerate is 60fps lol, I don't think you're reading the gauges correctly (although uh you should be noticing the locked 60fps :P). The game is running at more than twice the average framerate it used to on a PS3.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Out of all the pocket cultures in gaming, the loud BC crowd are probably the folks that I understand the least. Not even slightly meaning disrespect, enjoy what you enjoy and clamor for the features that you desire. I just flatly don't understand why people are caring to spend whatever % amount of their gaming time towards revisitation on these titles, outside of an odd novelty detour every now and then.

Man, I just don't care and never will - hopefully as I age my interests remain aligned with the mediums development and advancement

Oct 25, 2017
wut the framerate is 60fps lol, I don't think you're reading the gauges correctly (although uh you should be noticing the locked 60fps :P). The game is running at more than twice the average framerate it used to on a PS3.
i have to admit i jumped around and only watched maybe a minute of footage across the whole 5 mins, so maybe i found the one spot that was a little weird? or i'm misreading the gauges, which given how sloppy my posts seemingly have been in this thread, wouldn't be out the question

sSOhXj8.png

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
I just flatly don't understand why people are caring to spend whatever % amount of their gaming time towards revisitation on these titles, outside of an odd novelty detour every now and then.

Man, I just don't care and never will - hopefully as I age my interests remain aligned with the mediums development and advancement
Do you exclusively watch movies filmed (or read books written, or listen to music recorded) in the last 5 years or so?

Sure, I recognize the many differences between gaming and other forms of media, but the idea of "new = relevant; everything else = archaic curiosity" isn't something I can entirely relate to.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Anyone that says that "PS3 emulation is impossible", while a group of volunteers reverse engineer and do exactly that, I can't help but side eye. Does it run good? Probably not. But as a proof of concept it proves it's possible. I would pay a monthly sub to ACCESS a PS3 emulator if it meant it they would try.

Out of all the pocket cultures in gaming, the loud BC crowd are probably the folks that I understand the least. Not even slightly meaning disrespect, enjoy what you enjoy and clamor for the features that you desire. I just flatly don't understand why people are caring to spend whatever % amount of their gaming time towards revisitation on these titles, outside of an odd novelty detour every now and then.

And I'll never understand the people that spend their days playing Live Service games. Far too many games to enjoy to stay on the same handful all the time. Some things are just not for everyone.

And that's okay.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

Because so many older titles are still incredible to this day. You might not find enjoyment out of them, but a lot of people still love playing older games. Hell, I play a lot of SNES and PS1 games while also enjoying new/modern games on my PS5 and Series X. I have a deep appreciation for games back then, as (in my opinion) there wasn't any real focus on micro-transactions, etc. All you did was pop-in the disc/cartridge, and you were immersed in whatever game you chose.

Additionally, every person has their own reason for wanting BC, but the most important reason for BC (to me) is game preservation.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Because so many older titles are still incredible to this day. You might not find enjoyment out of them, but a lot of people still love playing older games. Hell, I play a lot of SNES and PS1 games while also enjoying new/modern games on my PS5 and Series X. I have a deep appreciation for games back then, as (in my opinion) there wasn't any real focus on micro-transactions, etc. All you did was pop-in the disc/cartridge, and you were immersed in whatever game you chose.

Additionally, every person has their own reason for wanting BC, but the most important reason for BC (to me) is game preservation.

From a game preservation and cataloguing standpoint, I can definitely understand the custodial need. That makes sense from a historical health standpoint. I guess it's a progressive consideration in that regard - we should ensure the history of the medium is accessible as things continue to progress.

Do you exclusively watch movies filmed (or read books written, or listen to music recorded) in the last 5 years or so?

Sure, I recognize the many differences between gaming and other forms of media, but the idea of "new = relevant; everything else = archaic curiosity" isn't something I can entirely relate to.

Definitely enjoy older films, many of which are ancient at this point. I guess I consider art within the gaming medium to have a more technical essence qualifying their value, and as such typically age with less grace than film simply due to the explosive progression of more recent experiences. The interactive component obviously makes that feel different than films. Immersion is quantified differently across mediums, intangibly as that may be.

That's certainly not to suggest I don't value or deeply respect older titles, many of which are some of my favorite games of all time. I just weigh the experiences differently in the modern moment I suppose.

And I'll never understand the people that spend their days playing Live Service games. Far too many games to enjoy to stay on the same handful all the time. Some things are just not for everyone.

And that's okay.

Yep, absolutely fair

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Unless Sony put some components to make it possible directly in the SoC, I don't think it'll be that easy. The Xbox One BC was only possible because they started the project during the console development, so they could customize the chip to make it work.
At this point, I don't think they'll do that even if it's possible, they already have the PS Now and seem confortable enough with it.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
The demand to play PS3 games is only going to diminish moving forward as the people who remember them start to die away. Why would Sony be looking at it from any kind of expansive point of view? I doubt they will add any more custom hardware than they already have now.
Look at what happened when they announced that they were planning to close the PS3 and Vita stores last year. Enough people made noise for them to reverse that decision...for now. Nobody's wasting precious fab space to make Cells anymore. Those machines will break at some point.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Because its not as simple as that, for all we know it could be a huge license issue. Remember Nvidia can be complete pains in the butt when it comes to emulating old hardware, so they would need to fight them for the GPU. The Cell was an investment by Toshiba and IBM along with Sony, so depending on how that license worked would mean sales of PS5 would need to pay for those companies shares too. Its not just they don't want to, its just probably not financially worth it.
and yet xbox managed it
OG xbox has an nvidia GPU
and IBM also helped with their 3 core CPU for the 360

these are all excuses at best

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These bozos won't even add 1440p after saying they'll do it if there's demand.

I hope people go off about it enough they take notice but I'm not holding my breath for it to happen, even though it absolutely should be done. PS3s aren't gonna last forever and streaming is a joke option.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Why the defeatist attitude? Are you saying there was more demand for the PS store on PS3 than actual PS3 BC on PS5?

Because Sony quickly changed their tune around that when people pushed back.

Having those same games be available and functioning natively on PS5 would be a dream. I honestly think it's unacceptable that Sony hasn't had a proper fix for this when even something like the RPCS3 can run all PS3 games!

First off, RPCS3 *cannot* run all PS3 games. Roughly a third of the games on the compatibility list either can't be finished, have serious glitches, perform poorly, or cannot be played at all. Literally nobody has achieved perfect emulation of this 15+ year-old platform.

Next: yes, there was pushback on closing the PS3/Vita stores, but it was easy for Sony to change course on that because they literally didn't have to do anything. The only difference is that they didn't close the stores. For Sony to invest in proper PS3 emulation on PS5 would take a whole lot of time, and therefore, money.

The only way to convince Sony that this is a good idea would be to demonstrate some sort of tangible benefit. As in, if you do X, you can make Y amount of dollars by selling Z. Already, it is impossible to gauge how much the Xbox BC strategy has benefited the platform; yes, it is popular among fans; yes, it bolsters both Game Pass and Games with Gold; yes, it preserves customers' past investment. But you can't say that it has made Microsoft some specific, tangible amount of revenue.

Further, if you look at the list of million-sellers on PlayStation 3 (link), you'll see that there are 37 games on it. Over half of these have already either been remastered and/or remade on PS4/PS5, or are currently available on modern Xbox platforms via BC, Nintendo Switch, and/or PC. As for the other games on the list:
- 3 of them are old Gran Turismo games. Old racing games with licensed cars almost never come back once the licenses expire.
- Metal Gear Solid 4. Konami's been repackaging their back catalog at a pretty good pace these days. I'd like to think this one will eventually happen, especially since folks would no longer balk at what will certainly be a huge download.
- Abandoned Sony properties like MotorStorm, inFamous, Resistance, Killzone, Heavenly Sword, and LittleBigPlanet. If PS3 BC were already a thing, it'd be worth it for them to throw these on the store, but Sony certainly would not invest in PS3 BC just for these.
- Ratchet & Clank Future. See above.
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors. This series is still running and is now multiplatform.
- God of War Collection, which includes the first two God of War games originally released on PS2. These could very well show up on the new service.

...and that is all. You may remember that MS is no longer adding games to their BC catalog, and that they specifically said it's because the remaining games--and there are many!--would not be worth the investment/effort required to get them added...and even as someone really disappointed that those games aren't there, I admit that they're right. My guess is that Sony looked at what has already been remade/remastered, and made this same determination for the entirety of the remaining PS3 catalog. Once they can no longer keep the PS3 farms running for streaming, these games will simply disappear. It sucks, and it's sad, but let's face facts here. How many folks are really going to subscribe to the Plus Premium service--or if it's an option, outright buy digital copies of MotorStorm or Ratchet & Clank Future--just because they'll run natively?

And for all you folks holding out for 3D Dot Game Heroes: don't. It never got a digital release, and Sony is in no hurry to let you use discs for BC. Heck, to this day, both PS4 and PS5 do not even support the playback of CD or CD-ROM discs, which means the entire PS1 library and many PS2 games cannot even physically be read by the drive. (link)

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
i have to admit i jumped around and only watched maybe a minute of footage across the whole 5 mins, so maybe i found the one spot that was a little weird? or i'm misreading the gauges, which given how sloppy my posts seemingly have been in this thread, wouldn't be out the question

sSOhXj8.png
Well for the record, what you're seeing there is 52 FPS, and the GPU & CPU loads at 55% and 32% (don't know if that's emulated load or system load). From what I understand, the game originally varied between framerates on actual hardware as well, not always keeping 60FPS either (and sometimes dropping to 20?). So this all seems normal.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Feel like this is one of those ace in the pocket type things that will eventually happen.
It's more of a goodwill gesture at this point seeing as they have ported a lot of the popular games already and people lap them up like nobody's business.

For me it would be nice. I have a decent digital PS3 collection that's just sitting there dormant. I won't be able to stream any of these games because it's not available in my country.

I don't have a PS5 yet but it is an eventuality. But even when I do I'll be hesitant to buy digital titles until I see Sony put in the work to support my purchases.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
First off, RPCS3 *cannot* run all PS3 games. Roughly a third of the games on the compatibility list either can't be finished, have serious glitches, perform poorly, or cannot be played at all. Literally nobody has achieved perfect emulation of this 15+ year-old platform.

Next: yes, there was pushback on closing the PS3/Vita stores, but it was easy for Sony to change course on that because they literally didn't have to do anything. The only difference is that they didn't close the stores. For Sony to invest in proper PS3 emulation on PS5 would take a whole lot of time, and therefore, money.

The only way to convince Sony that this is a good idea would be to demonstrate some sort of tangible benefit. As in, if you do X, you can make Y amount of dollars by selling Z. Already, it is impossible to gauge how much the Xbox BC strategy has benefited the platform; yes, it is popular among fans; yes, it bolsters both Game Pass and Games with Gold; yes, it preserves customers' past investment. But you can't say that it has made Microsoft some specific, tangible amount of revenue.

Further, if you look at the list of million-sellers on PlayStation 3 (link), you'll see that there are 37 games on it. Over half of these have already either been remastered and/or remade on PS4/PS5, or are currently available on modern Xbox platforms via BC, Nintendo Switch, and/or PC. As for the other games on the list:
- 3 of them are old Gran Turismo games. Old racing games with licensed cars almost never come back once the licenses expire.
- Metal Gear Solid 4. Konami's been repackaging their back catalog at a pretty good pace these days. I'd like to think this one will eventually happen, especially since folks would no longer balk at what will certainly be a huge download.
- Abandoned Sony properties like MotorStorm, inFamous, Resistance, Killzone, Heavenly Sword, and LittleBigPlanet. If PS3 BC were already a thing, it'd be worth it for them to throw these on the store, but Sony certainly would not invest in PS3 BC just for these.
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors. This series is still running and is now multiplatform.
- God of War Collection, which includes the first two God of War games originally released on PS2. These could very well show up on the new service.

...and that is all. You may remember that MS is no longer adding games to their BC catalog, and that they specifically said it's because the remaining games--and there are many!--would not be worth the investment/effort required to get them added...and even as someone really disappointed that those games aren't there, I admit that they're right. My guess is that Sony looked at what has already been remade/remastered, and made this same determination for the entirety of the remaining PS3 catalog. Once they can no longer keep the PS3 farms running for streaming, these games will simply disappear. It sucks, and it's sad, but let's face facts here. How many folks are really going to subscribe to the Plus Premium service--or if it's an option, outright buy digital copies of MotorStorm or Ratchet & Clank Future--just because they'll run natively?

And for all you folks holding out for 3D Dot Game Heroes: don't. It never got a digital release, and Sony is in no hurry to let you use discs for BC. Heck, to this day, both PS4 and PS5 do not even support the playback of CD or CD-ROM discs, which means the entire PS1 library and many PS2 games cannot even physically be read by the drive. (link)
This is true. It's a really huge project with questionable financial returns.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you for this post. I feel like people like to live in their own utopia sometimes and fail to see these facts.

Everyone would love full BC capabilities for everything, but it's not as easy as Sony dusting off their PS3 hardware documents and code a couple of lines.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017

I should've clarified, by "running" this is what I was referring to - The booting of games (still an impressive milestone for them).

As for anything tangible, I can only speak for myself. Their BC initiative compelled me to get their latest system, so it wasn't for naught.

MS implied licensing those older games wouldn't be worth the effort/money... Which is obviously sad, but the initiative must've yielded some results, otherwise they wouldn't have so heavily invested in it for so many years.

If a Sony BC initiative is anything at all like what MS proposed? (Cheaper, better running/looking older games) I'd sure as heck buy a ton of older PS3 games.

The amount of goodwill alone in doing something like that is worth it! Let's not even get into the argument of game preservation...

There's a market for older games. The amount of remakes/remasters ought to be enough evidence for that.

I don't care how fruitless the attempt might be, I'll keep demanding it - I see it as a must! There needs to be pushback, people need to clearly state how important this is to them.

Giving up is what they hope we do, eventhough you and basically everyone here wants it.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Sony will reconsider emulation, and that there is enough of a groundswell of support to move them in that direction.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah this would be great, I've had Sony consoles since the PS3 but picked up a Series S in late 2020 and the BC options on Xbox have been a joy

I'd love to see Sony try and match that with PS3 games

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Why would there be a single emulator for three completely different platforms? That makes no sense. And neither does ditching their current PS2 emulator code.
I'm not going to pretend I understand how this stuff works. But if everyone complained about the PS2 emulator, I'm going to assume that they've either fixed it or made a new one. Worse case scenario, it is the same one & you can vote with your wallet on how you feel about that. But I rather be positive than negative about the situation & am hopeful on change.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
People forget that PS3 emulation on x86 is an incredibly hairy problem to solve.

There have been community efforts over the years though, maybe Sony should invest in those and bring them to PS5.

Dec 5, 2017
People forget that PS3 emulation on x86 is an incredibly hairy problem to solve.

There have been community efforts over the years though, maybe Sony should invest in those and bring them to PS5.
This is never going to happen. RPCS3 as it is isn't good enough for commercial use and if Sony started using their insider knowledge to improve it, they would need to make those changes public under it's GPL license. They would never put themselves in a situation where they had to.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I'd be happy with Sony bringing all their first party games to current get, natively. I really don't think that's a lot task. Fostering your legacy reaps huge benefits.