• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Let me prefeace this by saying I don't play MMO's. I play some GAAS games here and there, but usually it ends up me getting to the end, beating the last boss, and then quitting.
99% of the time, the max amount of time I'll put into a game is around 60 hours or I beat the game. Whichever comes first. (60 hours is usually when I start to get mentally exhausted of the game)

But here I am, staring at the load screen of Monster Hunter World with 200 hours.

aWNFQr6.jpg

200 hours in a game has never happened to me. I have RARELY crossed 80 hours (115 hours Persona 5 and that was just a slog for me after 80 hours), so to put 200 and counting is unreal.

And it is especially unreal because if you told me in 2017 that I would put 200 hours into MH out of all the games, I would have laughed in your face.

I tried Monster Hunter on 3ds and the wii. I fucking hated the controls. I hated how obtuse everything was. I hate how slow I felt. I hated Monster Hunter with a passion. I didn't get why this franchise was so popular. It sucks!

So when Sony revealed MH World at E3, I just rolled my eyes. "Alright, whatever. Next game please!"

But then they released that demo.....This was the smartest thing Capcom could have done. I thought "fuck it, it's free, I'll try it I guess" and it didn't go as well as I hoped. Still slow, still kind of obtuse, but now I was using a real controller. Everything felt better. And I slowly got the hang of it. I tried the dual blades. Felt good. I felt more mobile. I was beating the monsters without carting. And then I started to get it. I started to see what everyone loved about this game. Why it was so popular.

And now here I am. With 200 hours and still going strong.

After everything I've played, God of War, Horizon, Spider-man, Bloodborne, etc. (all excellent games), I think I can say Monster Hunter World might be my game of the generation and saying that kind of actually makes me laugh because of how much I hated this franchise.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
The loop in Monster Hunter has been perfected to a ridiculous degree. It's so tremendously satisfying.

I too held off for a long time but got hooked on 4U and World kicked it up a notch. It's one of those games where once it clicks, you can almost feel yourself playing it even when you're not.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Over 600 hours here. About 40 of it so far in Iceborne.

While not the best game this gen for me, it is probably my favorite. The gameplay loop and great fun with my friends hunting down secrets, new armour sets and perfecting builds is fantastic.

I've only played with the Charge Blade, S&S, long sword and bow so far. Eyeing up building a hammer set to try out at the moment.....

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
OP: I'm with you. MHW is a great game and well worth spending over a hundred hours on.

But ... that demo was confusing AF. It was my first exposure to the entire IP and I had to resist the urge to run screaming.

In the end I'm really glad I stuck with it until the final release but it was a rocky start.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It caught me off-guard being my favourite game of the year. And I only scratched the surface.

Maybe it tied with the also surprising prey...

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Not GOTG for me because The Witcher 3 is one of the most satisfying experiences I've ever had in a game but it will take second place as of Iceborne. Incredible game and addictive as fuck. I've spent like 60 hours in Iceborne and not progressed beyond MR13 just cos doing shit like doing up my house and getting bits for it is fucking fun. Like every part of the game is pure simple fun. No bullshit, no catch, nothing but clear-cut enjoyment. Shit's a rare thing these days.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Par for the course here. this is shaping up to be my most played MH title in the franchise. I think i was just shy of 200 with MH4U but 180 hrs in total with MHWI and am still encouraged to keep playing.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Just about to cross 700 hours on my PS4 save. Already there if you count the 40 or so hours I've put into the PC release.

I can see myself crossing 1k hours when all is said and done.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
These past two years have had a Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem game be my favorites, so I'm right there with you. A couple years ago I would've thought you were nuts if you told me I'd get real deep into them, but I started this generation out real fatigued of stuff I used to play a lot like Call of Duty and other shooters, then got more fatigued as the years went on of the yearly franchise fall games, so getting into a bunch of new franchises in hindsight isn't that surprising.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think any Monster Hunter for me will reach the over 500 hours I got in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, but World still deserves every ounce of love it gets.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I just don't get Monster Hunter and I guess I'm in the minority who never will. And yes, I've tried playing it.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
This was my first Monster Hunter game and the first 100 hours literally whizzed by. I thought maybe I'd spend like 30 hours on it before calling it quits but 150 hours later, here I am.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
I waffled for months on picking this up, but when I did I put 300 hours into this game in an embarrassingly short amount of time. Phenomenal game.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
300, you're about to top the 350 hours I spent in 3 Ultimate.

Worlds is a far superior game. I'm glad happy you found the brilliance of Monster Hunter.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I've enjoyed the MH series for a long time but World is just incredible. Its become one of my favorite games is all time at this point. Around 500 hours and counting! On the verge of unlocking the final MR challenge in the expansion and seeing what tempered elders are like in the Guiding Lands.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I usually cracked 100-175 on the earlier titles. Tri was around 220. I thought 350 was wild for me for MH4U. I skipped Gen.

MHW+Iceborn has me clocked in at 981 right now. I believe it was 930-940 around Iceborn release- then I ended up having several unexpected but paid days off from work, absolutely not MH related, for real. I'm not stopping anytime soon, Iceborn is truly an amazing game. Favorite MH, probably one of my favorite games of all time.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The same exact thing happened to me. I put like 30 hours into generations on 3DS and found it neat but never really mustered the will to get very into it. I wasn't even gonna buy World until gaming Twitter went crazy for it at launch. The rest is history.

It even made me and my partner get Generations Ultimate on Switch and i think I have like double the time put into that. Capcom really, really hit it out of the park with World

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I usually cracked 100-175 on the earlier titles. Tri was around 220. I thought 350 was wild for me for MH4U. I skipped Gen.

MHW+Iceborn has me clocked in at 981 right now. I believe it was 930-940 around Iceborn. I ended up having several unexpected but paid days off from work, absolutely not MH related, for real. I'm not stopping anytime soon, Iceborn is truly an amazing game. Favorite MH, probably one of my favorite games of all time.

A 1000 hours.......

What your hunter rank? Because I'm at 200 hours and only 98.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
This is happening to me right now with FF14. And I hope it does when I get around to MHW. It's like I don't need to buy any more games for the next five years. LOL

Oct 27, 2017
Yea it's great. The most Mh I've played even counting 3 and 4.

I still need to get Iceborne, been busy.

I play a lot of 15-20 hour games, and only play one 50+ game per year more or less so getting 100+ on MHW feels crazy to me. Tho I have 70+ on FE:3H now.

I think the only games I've topped 100 this gen are MHW, Animal crossing New Leaf and Destiny 1.

The core loop of MHW is so satisfying and I'm always finding something new by using different strategies or weapons

Dominuece

Oct 25, 2017
No kidding. It's my first MH and I'm enthralled with how incredible the gameplay loop is. I also never play online/coop these days, but a few friends (veterans of the series) finally convinced me to try it when MHW launched. I've never looked back.

Loving Iceborne!

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Be wary posters! 200 hours is not a pittance. You have only just begun. The next phase is doing that every year, for the next 5 years.

Shit, you've just gotten good at one or two weapons. MH laughs at that. Git gud at 5 weapons and every game introduces a new mechanic in each weapon class. It's a fucking time sink. Drop 200 hours then switch to dual blades and feel like it's the very first time. I've never played gun lance. And I've probably put on 1000 hours over 3-4 games.

It's why I miss the portable aspect.

Say goodbye to your precious other games. They mean nothing to you. They are nothing.

Muahahahahahaha!

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The first 10 hours didnt convinced me, like the game is fun at all, but I didnt enjoyed the loop that much

Sep 14, 2019
I find that some of the grind in Monster Hunter 4 actually lent it to being a much preferable singleplayer experience to both Generations and World. After 2-3 hunts you'd usually have to take a break and do a gathering quest to collect materials, which lead to a lot of nice quiet moments. You'd usually be close to being oht of materials by the third hunt too, so if you wanted to keep playing without stopping for a break there'd be an interesting risk/reward dynamic.

Generations on the other hand was full of meaningless gathering quests that often weren't optional. Not only were there a lot of them, but the Palico system basically made gathering so easy to the point of actually ruining it. It also had no cutscenes for Monsters, and bad story progression.

Meanwhile World is a much better game then Generations, but I can't help but miss how nice the solo experience was in 4. The pacing of that game, preparing for the hunt, etc. Now you just get all the resources during the hunt because most of them are actually too easy to gather. Even the matchmaking in the 3DS games was surprisingly well suited for solo play. And since I don't have friends to play with, I basically went from putting hundreds of hours into 4U due to its epic solo experience to putting only about 80 in World.

Oh .... the sad realities of being an introvert.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, Capcom has this action game time sink down pat. While I start a new account on dragon's dogma just to min max a magic archer.

Give me dd2, ya cowards.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Only 200 hours?

You are like little baby :P

I remember when I first started with MHTri on Wii and I put 300 hours into it...in the first month.

AnythingElse

Oct 25, 2017
I never liked Monster Hunter either, but played World for around 150hrs and defeated every single monster in the game at least once.

They knocked this one out of the park, that's for sure.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A 1000 hours.......

What your hunter rank? Because I'm at 200 hours and only 98.
I screw around waaay too much in the game, so my HR is a little lower than what I feel it should be for the hours I've put in. I'm HR 280 something I think. MR 19 or so also. I have a friend though, we used to get together all the time for handheld MH...when's he was at 900 hours, he was at HR470 something. Like 2 or 3months ago. And he never stopped playing, he is a beast.

Edit - my "screwing around" had things like farming Greeting the Glutton repeatedly with the bandit mantle. I collect the shards and sell them if I get ever broke and need upgrades, since they can get pretty pricey down the road. And I like to have lots of various sets. Granted right now I've got over 4 mil zennie, so money isn't an option now. But I could easily sell those shards alone for 3 mil. Plus when Iceborn came out, I had roughly 468 food vouchers as well that I earned.

Last edited:

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4 Ultimate was my Monster Hunter awakening.

Put 160 into it on 3DS and even bought the dumbass circle pad pro just to make it feel a bit more comfortable.

Great game but still had some really annoying elements/busywork that I never reached G rank. All I did was beat the main story and do the quests up until the big ass snake, then after I failed once I decided I was done with it. I played a little bit of X but felt it got too "anime" for me and the main story was basically nonexistant. On top of bringing back old boring maps and some shitty monsters (fuck niblesnarf).

World was a godsend, but I'll always appreciate my time with 4 Ultimate.
BRING BACK GORE MAGALA

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah MH has always been a series where it's really easy to rack up time if you get in to it. I believe across the series I have at least 2k hours.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I find that some of the grind in Monster Hunter 4 actually lent it to being a much preferable singleplayer experience to both Generations and World. After 2-3 hunts you'd usually have to take a break and do a gathering quest to collect materials, which lead to a lot of nice quiet moments. You'd usually be close to being oht of materials by the third hunt too, so if you wanted to keep playing without stopping for a break there'd be an interesting risk/reward dynamic.

Generations on the other hand was full of meaningless gathering quests that often weren't optional. Not only were there a lot of them, but the Palico system basically made gathering so easy to the point of actually ruining it. It also had no cutscenes for Monsters, and bad story progression.

Meanwhile World is a much better game then Generations, but I can't help but miss how nice the solo experience was in 4. The pacing of that game, preparing for the hunt, etc. Now you just get all the resources during the hunt because most of them are actually too easy to gather. Even the matchmaking in the 3DS games was surprisingly well suited for solo play. And since I don't have friends to play with, I basically went from putting hundreds of hours into 4U due to its epic solo experience to putting only about 80 in World.

Oh .... the sad realities of being an introvert.

This is really interesting. I also found MH4U pacing in single player to be the one I preferred but I at times felt that running low on supplies became a chore, especially after hours of mining, gathering, crafting etc having played from gen 2.

MH is one of those games that gives challenging and rewarding gameplay so well. That first Great Jagras takes 15 minutes. If you went back into the quest naked with a basic weapon you can clear it much faster as you have improved so much since.

I'll also say I can think of few games that have enemies with as much detail and variety. We often talk about combat mechanics and encounter designs but part of the equation is also enemy design. Everything from appearance, animations and audio cues play a huge role in giving the monsters life and making them standout. After so many hours you can tell exactly what monster just crept up behind you to interrupt your hunt just from the roar you hear. That is so damn good.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
I'm at about 400 hours myself including 10-15 on Iceborne so I am right there with you OP. I always wanted to get into MH, but the controls on portables were not comfortable at best. I am so glad that they at least modernized the playing part while keeping the MH intent pure. They do have some things that they need to work on (the cutscene thing will never not be trash) but at the end of the day, they did good!

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I share the OP's experience. Before MHW, Monster Hunter was this obtuse, impenetrable series that I made the effort to get into. My previous games were MHTri and 4U, which were mediocre experiences before I tapped out. I hated sub zones, I hated how gamey the world felt, the in-character tutorials that plagued everything was simply the worst to plod through, the UI was hideous and I didn't find engaging or hunting the monsters interesting. So when World was announced at E3 2017, I was pissed because I wanted to see some god damned Devil May Cry.

Holy shit, it's amazing how much World managed to correct every single thing I hated about the 4U experience. I even went back to Generations Ultimate after 700 hours of Monster Hunter World and while I've actually been able to make it to high rank and find some fun here and there, I can't tell you if I'd have stuck around if it wasn't for the foundation I built in World. I still flit back and forth, but after spending what feels like a solid week of playing Iceborne on the PS4, I'm right back to building up my PC file with all the illegitimate future knowledge I picked up in anticipation for January and I still feel like I have so much to work towards.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking good man. Definitely close to my game of the generation. Might be tbh. Need to do some reflection.