• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

People who are subscribed to these services, what's the main reason you had for subscribing?

• To play online

Votes: 485 67.7%
  • For the monthly games

Votes: 418 58.4%
  • Exclusive deals

Votes: 235 32.8%
  • Betas

Votes: 36 5.0%
  • I never subscribed

Votes: 72 10.1%

• Total voters

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
PS+ was great when online was free for the games. Later you even got PS3,PS4, Vita packs for insane value. Nowadays i only get it when i intent to play online regularly at a discount.

i still think online shouldn't be locked. They should find other ways to make you pay for extra games. It's a shame people didn't revolt in the early xbox days. The only time there was a chance to stop it. Maybe we get another in future but chances are slim.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Warning: Platform Wars.
Strange. People told me console gaming is cheaper than buying a PC.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i've rarely paid full price. I always try to buy around black friday to get half price. or get dirt cheap on ebay or cdkeys when necessary.

I dont really care for the games i've gotten through Playstation. But my GWG tab has nearly 300 games. thats a lot of games i can carry over to the next xbox. So the juice is worth the squeeze to me.

i dont even know why i still pay for PS plus tbh. I barely play any online games on playstation

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Ive never payed full price but the main reason I subscribe is the games we keep and the discounts don't care about anything else. I subscri to Gold/Ultimate, plus, and Nintendos thing but I won't keep Nintendo

Feb 8, 2018
PS+ is routinely available for less than $40/year. Price for the generation is likely less than $300. Sure it would be nice if it were free but does anyone remember free PSN? It was garbage. At least we get a couple games included every month and a reliable secure service now.

As someone who used PSN almost exclusively to play online I can confirm the service was ok for me. The online modes in the exclusives were functional and fun for the most part. Would like to see them seperating PS+ from online MP again.

Last edited:

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
If you get them on discount you likely paid half of that. Either way if i added up all the free games i have over the years the service saved me over $500.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the reason I'm going with PC only next gen. My Plus ends in January 28, and that turns my PS4 into a paperweight so it's bye bye Playstation.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I ever paid the whole $60 for psplus. I've always waited for black Friday or just looked for a deal

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I've had it for 3 years but after it ends this April I'm not renewing it.

I realized that I don't play enough online to justify it and as primarily a PC gamer the free games are mostly useless.

With $420 I could get as many or even more games and it would be all games that I actually want to play.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
This is something that hit me today after remembering my PS+ subscription ends next april, and it's how much of a scam paid online is. If you subscribed to either of these services at the beggining of the generation and subscribe again when the new consoles hit, you'll have paid over $400 for it across the entire generation in a service that, let's be real, only exists because console manufacturers could get away with it.

Now, it's true that they sweeten the deal with monthly games and extra discounts in sales, but it's still crazy to me that paid online just became accepted like that. I'm not above taking responsibility either, since I paid for two years of PS+ already and I'll most likely stay subscribed to play Gran Turismo Sport and Crash Team Racing (at least PS+ is now $40 on my region :p), but it still sucks that this is now the norm even on Nintendo consoles, especially when at least in my experience online gaming on PC is much better in terms of the quality of the service and it costs nothing.

Wonder if this could change next gen with Game Pass becoming MS' focus, because if they removed the Live Gold requirement on Xbox the PS5 would definitely be forced to do it as well.

I've averaged $35 per 1 year purchase of PSN and I haven't immediately activated a membership immediately upon expiration each time so...

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think I've paid around £200 for the whole gen. I more than got that value back in the PS+ games I got access too aswell as the extra discounts on the store 😊

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
lol at the replies "I never pay full price", so what? change $420 to $300 , what a deal
$210*

I generally agree with the principle that this shouldn't have been a thing (see PC gaming), but then again, cloud saving is very valuable to me, I've received a ton of free games from this that exceed the $35 value, and $35 doesn't even exceed to .1% of my take home income (net of taxes, health insurance, retirement account, etc)

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You know the poll allows for multiple choices right? Most people are not solely getting these services for the monthly games.

Would you like to buy a pen.

I paid PS+ for the free games solely, but hardly had time to finish my regularly paid games, much less play the free ones. Most of which were absolute shite anyway. Even with being incredibly fortunate in terms of disposable income, I did the math last year and noped the fuck out of the service. Not going back ever again either.

Is that so.

tenor.gif

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*Gasp* im going to start a riot outside of microsofts headquarters in redmond, whose with me, gamers rise up!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Pretty sure it'll continue to not bother me next generation if the value prop is similar.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Was already a subscriber to PS+ during the PS3 days and was going to keep it in perpetuity, but I can't remember the last time I paid full price for it, even before the price change.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Microsoft will justify it next gen by rolling it into Xcloud and Gamepass.

PS Plus has been awful for a while now, haven't subbed since like 2017. Sony don't even make any exclusive multiplayer games and the download speeds are still atrocious. There's literally zero reason to have it for someone who plays on PC too.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
If I were paying full price, sure. I jump on deals from Wario64 to extend my subscriptions, and with XBox's $1 deal to upgrade gamepass/gold I ended up getting set up til nearly 2023.

But if I'd paid $420 for all the monthly games, I'd still feel like it was worth it.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Just sat down, went through my spreadsheets, did the math, and found that I've spent $230.72 since 2014 on Xbox Gold. This averages out to let's say $33.
The MSRP would be $334.93. Average of $47.85. This doesn't include 2020 (which has seen the purchase of subscription)

I can also see that I have 91 games with gold on xbox one. Which means I average out paying $2.54 per game; $3.68 MSRP. This doesn't include backwards compatible 360 games. I could figure that out too but that's more work than I'm willing to do today.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if I'd paid full price at £50 for all 7 years, I'd have paid £350. I have over 300 games purchased on PSN, not including the PS+ titles that were offered. Considering nearly all those were purchased on sale, and there's usually a higher discount for PS+ subscribes, I think I've quite easily saved more than I've spent.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Puts those "early adopters spend $1,340 over the life of the generation statistics in context."

A huge chunk of that figure is PS+/XBL.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Got it for online play as well as the deals and *free* games. I've bought so many games for cheap with PS+ and that I consider it great. I've had so many amazing moments in Destiny and GTA Online too, sucks it ain't free like it was before but ultimately worth it for me.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Just sat down, went through my spreadsheets, did the math, and found that I've spent $230.72 since 2014 on Xbox Gold. This averages out to let's say $33.
The MSRP would be $334.93. Average of $47.85. This doesn't include 2020 (which has seen the purchase of subscription)

I can also see that I have 91 games with gold on xbox one. Which means I average out paying $2.54 per game; $3.68 MSRP. This doesn't include backwards compatible 360 games. I could figure that out too but that's more work than I'm willing to do today.
hbeQya9.gif

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Once I realized that the free games were just going into an ever-expanding backlog, and that I was having more fun with MP games on PC, Plus seemed almost hilariously undesirable.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
This one of the things that I weight in Stadia's advantage. Of course it doesn't matter to me very deeply because I'll be paying for Gamepass Ultimate and PS+ next gen anyway. But Stadia's overall cost is cheaper.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Much of their base does not pay retail for these services. So the average spend is not $420.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Microsoft will justify it next gen by rolling it into Xcloud and Gamepass.

PS Plus has been awful for a while now, haven't subbed since like 2017. Sony don't even make any exclusive multiplayer games and the download speeds are still atrocious. There's literally zero reason to have it for someone who plays on PC too.

Sony already rolls it into PS Now so not sure why that's any different besides you don't like the games offered there. It's still not some amazingly new idea.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had Plus since the PS3. I never payed full price for it and the discounts alone saved me more money than i payed.

I play maybe a week online every year.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah its ridiculous. My 200usd ps4 is about to reach 440 after these fees. I guess people generally don't look at it that way...

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Once I realized that the free games were just going into an ever-expanding backlog, and that I was having more fun with MP games on PC, Plus seemed almost hilariously undesirable.
That's part of the reason I'm probably going to stop paying as much as it sucks losing Gran Turismo. I just never really play these games, in over 3 years I've only finished Yakuza Kiwami

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Does the pen lend me games like Yakuza 0 occasionally?

Wait...which Stadia subscription plan is cheaper than PS+ or XBL?
Overall costs of purchasing the console upfront, upgrading it midcycle to play games again, and subscription costs versus $10 a month amounting to $120 a year if you choose to keep your sub all year.

I bought my Xbox and PlayStation at launch. I also upgraded to the X1X when it launched. Also had to buy an SSD. In the end, you end up spending more.