• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I know it by name, never saw actual gameplay or anything.

I don't have kids but i have a 9/10yo nephew and niece (Yeah, i'm a Disney character) that are really into Fortnite and Minecraft. Don't think they play/care for Roblox though.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Someone mentioned it in the Peter Parker thread. Didn't know what it was. Googled it.

Looks kind of neat. Looks friendly and colourful.
Edit: what? it started in 2004 and was released in 2006?!

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I have played it. My niece loves it and always wants to play it with me. I hate it though. If you think gacha games are bad with monetization you haven't played Roblox yet lol. But yeah it's huge. I think because there's always new games for the kids to try is one of the reasons it got so big. Most games are trash but a few are competently made.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I've played it here and there but didn't realize it was still so huge, for some reason I assumed it had started to taper off over the last few years.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I met my best friends on roblox back in 2008 and still play it with them on occasion. Some of my friends from roblox started their game dev career making games on there and now work at actual studios lmao (Hell one of them actually works at roblox now).

ROBLOX is wild, Really great platform that gives kids a chance to learn the basics of gamedev. Too bad they made it so the only way you can actually make money from your games on roblox is to add gamepasses (microtransactions). You used to get money every time someone visited your game.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Never played. Never even seen it but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it's objectively the lamest game I or anyone has ever played.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Roblox has been one of the top grossing mobile games for the last couple of years, especially on iOS.

The US is by far its biggest market, which accounts for 1/3 of all downloads and 2/3 of overall revenue. Its audience mostly consists of teens and preteens.

Valuation shouldn't come as a surprise when you look at the numbers. It's massive and still growing.

Last edited:

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
My nephews are ALWAYS begging me to play this with them. I see why it's popular though it's a pretty cool platform.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
How many of you have played it, or even heard of it before?
I watched my nephew play it for a while.

I have no idea why he did. It was basically walking into random rooms and being told to pay up to do anything interesting.

All he did was walk around and blow bubblegum bubbles on a trampoline.

Then I noticed a $10 charge to my bank account the next week.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
I only know about this game because my nieces and nephews play it and I play it with them from time to time. I don't see the appeal but these kids are eating them up. I think I've given my niece way too much money so she could buy roblox items.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Daaaaaamn that's wild. I am definitely out of touch. Bring back Champions of Norrath!!

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Roblox has been big for a long time. I often wondered why no console had a roblox themed limited edition. My nieces are always playing it. It's actually more advanced than a lot of console games. Sometimes one will play on the xbox and the other playing on a phone and they can join each others game. And then one might switch to playing on a tablet.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Is amusing (but not surprising) that many on this forum go crazy for Dreams and every (mostly tech demo) game releasing on it; but prefer to just be clueless around Roblox and put it as a child game while proceed to post the generic characters of it.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I showed my 6 and 8 year old the Minecraft Steve for Smash trailer this morning and the 6 year old said
"Roblox!"
When Steve appeared. lol

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
My 8-year-old plays it every weekend with his cousin and friends. They like it, and I think it's better than my 13-year-old who spends half his time watching YouTubers play Madden. It seems to be a rather good social game, they hardly ever play it alone.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This fucking game...

Basically a popup ad generator, where the instant buy button coincides with the bottom needed for whatever action you were about to perform before the popup.

Yeah it's valuation will sky rocket

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
And to think that if you went by what ERA says, you'd think that Souls games are the most popular thing in the world...

But, yeah. Roblox is fcking huge. Every kid I know plays it on their or their parents phones and watch YT videos of it. That price tag doesn't surprise me.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

this is the only thing I know about Roblox other than it being really popular with kids

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I know Roblox very well.

Unlike every other popular game for kids, Roblox is the one I've played the most of that's total fucking garbage. It's straight up trash. It's cool that you can make whatever kind of game you want in it, but they're all shit. The majority of it is bootleg games, bad platforming shit, or grindy pointless nonsense.

It's a super cool creation tool for kids to learn about game design though, so it has value and it's cool it exists. It's absolute torture to play if you have any standards though.

hiro_x

Nov 2, 2017
I stopped my kid from playing after a week of playing it (he was 6 then about to go 8 yrs old now), I stopped him because I saw videos in youtube that some players are harassing other players and doing sexual stuff in game. My son can read very well and I don't want to explain to him at 6 years old what words like sex,fuck and rape means.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Why do I vaguely remember Roblox as that thing Lego wouldn't clear because it would devalue their brand or didn't seem to fit their brand?

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My boss's son mentioned it once before he started playing nothing but Fortnite. And I've seen some toys based on it at Target. That's the full extent of my exposure to Roblox.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
My kids play Roblox, and I've tried it. I guess I am an old geezer, because it controls like the worlds worst N64 game. Guess I just don't get the appea, but I think it's the ability to easily ply with friends and access to tons of games instantly.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I played it in 2008 when I was 13. Was a lot different than what I see now. Most games were basic. Now there's copy cats of games like CSGO, Among US, and tons of RP games.

I'm the same age and played it at about the same time, though maybe a little later? Cause even then I was pretty surprised by what people were doing in it; it was all janky as hell but pretty impressive regardless.

It's still very weird to realize it's quietly become such a ridiculously huge thing, but for me it's weird because I do know what it is, and it somehow still being around is part of that feeling.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And yet no PS4 version in spite of the CEO saying it was on its way back in 2016...

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, heard it from my younger students. They even showed me some games I immediately thought it was one of those shovelware type of gaming websites.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I am not surprised at all, this game has almost been going toe to toe with minecraft for a while now, it's huge.

From a visual standpoint it doesn't look like much, it lacks minecrafts visual appeal but people have done some really crazy cool stuff in it so far.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If you were upset about today's Smash news and require more proof that you're an out of touch geezer, insanely popular gaming creation platform Roblox is set to go public. The company is currently valued at $4b but expects that could double, according to the CNBC piece. Remember that Microsoft dropped $7.5b for all of Bethesda.

How many of you have played it, or even heard of it before?

www.cnbc.com

U.S. gaming platform Roblox prepares to go public

The Roblox listing could happen early next year and double its valuation from $4 billion, sources told Reuters.

Smash news as in the Minecraft main character? I legitimately don't get people who get upset about the Smash roster.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played it but I'm aware of Roblox. Honestly though, what is the point of this thread? Just to shame people for being older and not caring about some popular games that are primarily played by and targeted toward kids? So what? Good for the target audience. Being popular doesn't automatically afford something reverence.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My son loves it. They do an extremely awful job of maintaining standards though, so many of the servers are hot garbage and/or inappropriate for kids. Still, I knew it was a big moneymaker. Just didn't know it was 8 billion big