• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ViewtifulJux

Oct 25, 2017
It's a show on HBO Max. It's a mix of Joe Pera, All Gas No Breaks, and actual people watching. Guess some Nathan For You too. If you enjoy that sort of stuff you'll prolly enjoy it.

GreenMachine

Oct 27, 2017
will strongly vouch for this too! first ep was just what i needed today
descriptors in the OP sum it up well

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Loved the first ep of this--genuinely touching and very funny and full of incredible footage--really reminds me of Chris Marker's documentary work; can't wait for the rest of the season

His independent work from the past six or seven years is on Vimeo and really really great, mostly in the same vein
vimeo.com

JOHNS MOVIES

JOHNS MOVIES is a member of Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

OP
OP
ViewtifulJux

ViewtifulJux

Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely have to check out his older stuff. I really can't recommend this show enough and I know a lot of people here would enjoy it. Just not much buzz about it really.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a simple man. I see someone compare something to Joe Pera, and I wholeheartedly accept the recommendation. Seriously, thanks!

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I heard Nathan Fielder talking about this on the A24 podcast a few days ago (he's producing it), and so gave it a watch this morning. Lovely, funny stuff. I loved the bit with MTV telling him to move because he was ruining all their crowd shots, haha.

GreenMachine

Oct 27, 2017
just bumping this to say the second ep was just as gr8 as the first. this man made scaffolding riveting!

GreenMachine

Oct 27, 2017

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
This show is astounding. Some of the lines in ep 2 are profound and resonated with me on a spiritual level. I also genuinely learnt a lot from ep 2. And watching human behaviour in ep 1 was really fascinating.
I can't believe this show, I adore it.

Second episode was great, there was one segment in there that just cracked me up, couldn't believe they put it in the show. I'm not even gonna spoil it but you probably know exactly what I'm talking about.

Yeahhhh as I was showing my (conservative) parents the first ep I saw that episode 2 had come out so we watched them back to back.

Unlike the first ep, I hadn't seen the second... That shot was roughhhh. Almost soured the experience for them but John won 'em back in the end.

What a show.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
Saw some of this and wondered why people will hang out with him. Not that i dont like him, he just seemed awkward at spring break. Mtv producers talking to him was really funny though.

i dont want to say hang out, but he was out of place. Maybe its a case where you put a camera out there and people will talk.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Really loving this show. I'm such a sucker for the "keep filming people until you strike gold" type shows haha

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
vlcsnap-2020-11-14-22h38m47s941.png

imagine this covered in plastic

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
This show feels like some unholy fusion of All Gas No Brakes/Nathan For You.

It's fucking fantastic. Little puzzled why it doesn't have more traction on here.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rewatching these with bae and i can't even choose a favorite. they're all so good. can't wait to show her this week's, i know she's going to lose it at the
salsa.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
John Wilson did a bunch of shorts for Vimeo before HBO poached him

JOHNS MOVIES’s Videos on Vimeo

Join the web’s most supportive community of creators and get high-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos in gorgeous HD with no ads.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I was rolling with laughter at the bitterness of everyone at the ref association meeting. Didn't expect that to provide so much entertainment.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Only watched the first two so far but this show fucking rules. Just a great illustration of the broadness and weirdness of humanity. Both episodes really touched me and made me tear up a little.
My girlfriend didn't like the fact that they showed some gruesome stuff, like cops cleaning up bloody clothes in the first episode, and a guy possibly getting squashed by the collapsing building in the second one. But I think he's trying to capture the full spectrum of human existence, which at times includes violence and tragedy.

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
found this show last night and holy crap, its so good! The girlfriend and I binged the all the available episodes and can't wait for the new one. It is like all gas no brakes but with a couple hundred more in budget lol

xtnoz

Jan 5, 2018
This show is too good!

Here's some behind the scenes action which... goes places.