• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, free on HBO Max, cheap on Amazon Prime.

This is tengen toppa gurren lagann reborn.

Fucking immaculate.

And listen to this god damn ost, fuck me.

Do it.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well yaaaaw, it's Sawano, of course the OST is gonna be givin it 1254%.

Dying to see this movie. Heard nothing but awesome.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw it in theaters with a friend and neither of us were very impressed and both thought it was overly animated. I really love Lio's design, however.

More interestingly is that the audience I was with seemed to agree, being very neutral throughout, which seems contrary to many people's theatrical experiences.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
I watched it in a theater sucka!!! It was beautiful!!!

Obviously before the pandemic

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017
Love that more people will be able to see it and get the soundtrack. Hypest experience I've had in theaters.

I get the Gurren Lagann comparison, but I really disliked that series in the end. Enjoyed this and Kill la Kill more.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I absolutely loved this movie. I was just thinking about it too since I started playing Kill la Kill -IF. Maybe it's time for a rewatch.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed parts of this movie but the story I cannot even remember. Maybe the most style over substance media from Trigger.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed parts of this movie but the story I cannot even remember. Maybe the most style over substance media from Trigger.
It reminded me of a lot of the things that were wrong with the second half of BNA just in movie form (as you said more style over substance, or more so going with the rule of cool/badassary). If you can turn your brain completely off and just enjoy the great music and solid visuals it's a fine watch.... if you think too much though.... lol.

The OST is seriously great though. I do at least recommend people check that out. And if you already have HBO Max and can watch it for free it's likely worth the time investment, but I personally wouldn't recommend paying to watch Promare unless you only care about pretty visuals/action and not story. Granted the only things I actually like from Trigger in general are Little Witch Academia and BNA. (BNA also has some great music in it)

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I liked it a lot but didn't LOVE it to be honest. But I think I'd give it a solid 8/10 — the animation is amazing but their style takes some getting used to. I only watched 1 episode of BNA and 3 or so of Kill la Kill..just couldn't really get used to their look.

Biggest shock to me after seeing the poster for ages was that both of the characters in it are males! Green hair is bishonen at a rarely achieved level.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
When I saw it in theaters, the scene with Lio in the volcano gave me literal chills because of how fucking gold Kakusei is as a song. It's one of my favorite anime movies too which is because I'm a huge Imaishi fan so I really don't mind how derivative it is of his other works.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Wow, first time I've seen youtube clips hard region blocked (not just from Resetera). A search finds them, but that's dark patterns for you.

Great music.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Great movie, awesome soundtrack and visual motifs/color palette

Kinda feels like Kill la Kill remixed lol

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
While its definitely along those lines I think calling Promare style over substance is doing it a disservice.

The final fight and the main villain shows you
that he has all the tools at his disposal to solve the earth problems, but his delusions of grandeur and ego mean he would rather start afresh on a new world where he got to play king than save the earth as it is. You could basically drop any real life tech mogul into the same space and have the same motivations.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Loved how the movie use the frame as a diegetic element.

Loved how it tried to inteoduce serious subtexts but failed at delivery maybe because it was to focus on insane visuals.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I generally try to avoid Trigger, but no one told me Sawano was doing the OST

Now I'm in

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I have the blu ray sitting on my desk but never got around to it. I dont really dislike trigger or anything but im a bit burnt out on their stuff atm

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it.

I felt the plot was half-baked and the action completely imcomprehensible to watch.
So much visual clutter it was hard to make out anything.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to like it, largely due to the Gurren Lagann vibes but the opening and concept of the burnish(god what an absurdly annoying name) I found too grating. I tapped out early on.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Loved the movie and the soundtrack, but they definitely overused that one song during every battle.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't know this existed! Looks right up my ally. I'll wait to listen to the OST until I watch it.

On a side note in the recommended list there's a animated Batman movie called "Batman Ninja" lol, I'll have to see what the heck that is like.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Good news for y'all who liked the soundtrack.. just got this email from Mondo:

mondoshop.com

Music Weekly: HER Original Score LP by Arcade Fire & Owen Pallett plus

This week, we are so honored to have an exclusive color pressing of Arcade Fire and Owen Pallett's unreleased score to HER, as well as an exclusive pressing of the soundtrack to PROMARE, both thanks to our friends at Milan Records. We also have a few new distributed titles: The soundtrack to 12...

Promare_full.jpg

On sale Wednesday at noon Central. It's via Milan so I assume there will be a few ways to buy it, but Mondo's version has only 500 copies at $32.

Geeklat

Feb 13, 2018
I had a chance to see it in theaters, but then I was warned about previous showings of the film in the same theater. People shouting, shrieking, yelling out stuff in time with the characters, shipping stuff. That really soured me on the whole thing and I haven't given it a shot yet at home.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just watched it. Fantastic! I personally love as much action and visual flair as possible when it comes to these kind of movies, it was awesome to watch. And yeah the OST was pretty ace. Can't believe I've never heard of it until now. Thanks OP!

Didn't know I had the TV settings on default until the credits though, clear motion and all that jazz was on, bleh. I forgot I never actually watched HBO Max on the TV itself so I never messed with the settings. Oh well still looked great.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I had the luck to see it in theaters and it was my first direct contact with Studio Trigger.

It was a pretty amazing theater experience, and it really sold me on the studio's style.

My retinas and ears were thouroughly blown away. Absolutely recommended, dumb fun at its finest.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I don't have HBO Max or Prime, and I don't like the art style. You asked, OP!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It looks too exhausting to watch honestly. I love the style, but if they had held back a bit I think I would have prefered it.

I will watch it at some point an keep an open mind, but I'm going to need to be in the right mood for sure.