• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm flying next weekend (US, domestic on Southwest) and checked to see if any other times were available. To my surprise, the tickets on my flight had dropped by $150 apiece, so I changed my booking to these cheaper tickets and got a credit while losing nothing.
I know that it's because of the CoV panic and maybe I'm rolling the dice a little bit, but if you absolutely must fly, it's worth checking!

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm flying United later this month and Delta next month and neither of them will allow me to change tickets to a cheaper flight.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I have been looking at booking flights for vacation in July and have noticed that flights are significantly cheaper than normal.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I'm flying United later this month and Delta next month and neither of them will allow me to change tickets to a cheaper flight.

Southwest has extremely friendly policies when it comes to cancelling or rebooking, nearly up to the last minute. I think they're the only major domestic carries that has this by default

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I've got a trip to Thailand planned in May and I just checked and tickets are like $300-400 cheaper than when I bought them šŸ˜¬

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alaska out of Seattle ain't budging on any of the flights I have or want. Our Xmas flights this year are eyewateringly expensive. Doubled in two years and they're almost sold out already.

The two shorter flights I have booked already are still the same price.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're lucky United didn't physically strike you for talking out of turn. That airline is so gross these days that I can't even. The other thing they do nowadays is actually punish you for losing status. You don't just go back to pleb status, you get extra screwed to remind you that you're NOTHING.

Meanwhile Alaska actually offers to let you keep your status for a year if you take parental leave or have a baby and can't travel! And lets you check a bike for free.

OP
OP
RowdyReverb

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Alaska out of Seattle ain't budging on any of the flights I have or want. Our Xmas flights this year are eyewateringly expensive. Doubled in two years and they're almost sold out already.

The two shorter flights I have booked already are still the same price.
I didn't think you could cancel flights and get your money back without travel insurance.
Yeah, I'm realizing that this may be exclusive to Southwest. As another poster above mentioned, their policies regarding cancellation and rebooking of flights is very forgiving

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The airlines have been making flexible exceptions because of coronavirus. They are getting killed. I just got an email saying there are no fees to make changes on any already made booking for the next year

Why would they be so generous with refunds when they are bleeding cash due to people traveling less? That seems counterintuitive for them.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they be so generous with refunds when they are bleeding cash due to people traveling less? That seems counterintuitive for them.
Not really, there is hyper competition in the airline industry. If you get screwed over because of something completely out of your control like this what are the odds you'll pick that airline again when there are a dozen other option with equivalent pricing.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Planning a trip to Florida for the end of April and it's so odd..... The 3 days my wife and I are going the flights are RIDICULOUS. Thurs -> Sunday, literally every week before and after is normal prices, but this weekend spikes the fuck up all over Florida, it's not school vacation week, it's so strange. There are cheaper tickets but not directly, and flying with a kid we're not doing a layover from BOston to Florida.

Unfortunately we have no flexibility in our travel, but it's insane... like round trip is looking like $1500, which is fucking wild for Boston to FLoriday. But... if we could shift it a week (we can't) it'd be $300 total.

Oct 28, 2017
They just need to fill those seats.

People might actually book more flights when they know they can get it refunded in case things get worse. It's all about lowering the barriers to get people to start flying again.