• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
I just finished Yakuza 0 (without spoiling anything, the post-credits scene, after having played Yakuza Kiwami, was perfect lol), and I clocked in at 99:11.

GEE ZUZ.

I wasn't expecting that, but the mini-games (Real Estate, Cabaret Club, Pocket Circuit) where a lot of fun, and it was cool sometimes playing the old SEGA arcade games. I made a thread a few weeks ago about how addictive the Cabaret Club was, and I'll be honest: many of those hours were on that mini-game. But not only was it fun, it gave me a GREAT reward later, so it felt even more worth it.

This was definitely better than Kiwami, partially due to the superior mini-games imo. I'm probably taking a small break from Yakuza (got other games to play, plus Days Gone this month), but hearing that
the story with Makoto is continued in Kiwami 2
, I definitely want to see how that plays out.

And do Cabaret Club again.

Yakuza's interesting because it gets so dark and shocking

s10-64dcf933a555d9dc3d7413c5390b5dd6.jpg

and then this shit happens

maxresdefault.jpg

Normally, tonally inconsistent games/shows irritate me, but it works for me for some reason. Basically, if I wanted serious, I'd do the main story. If I wanted sometimes serious, sometimes hysterical, I do the side stuff.

Apr 24, 2018
Can't wait to eventually get to this myself. So far, I've only played Kiwami I (will be playing Kiwami II next, shortly) and outside of the clunky combat, really liked everything else about it. I had a strange addiction to the Pocket Racers minigame. Really excited to see what all the hubub about Cabaret Club is all about.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
The way the game successfully balances a moody, dramatic story with weird, wacky side stories is one of gaming greatest achievemnts.

Oct 26, 2017
Real Estate and Cabaret being baked into character progression made some of this game a slog. It shines in places, but those were definite time-sinks.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
100 hours is about the average length for me in Yakuza. The wealth of side stuff always draws me in and I do 100% each game. Working on Yakuza 4 at the minute, and I was at roughly 57% done in 54 hours with a few more chapters left. Depending how modding goes I'd imagine I just come in over/under the 100 hour mark.
also, Cabaret Club was fun, but I much prefer the fighter trainer in 4 myself. Super addictive and you get to team up with the people you train in my favourite side content - the arena. So win-win for me!

Judge Eyes took a similar amount of time as well, though in that case I was happy that it didn't feel like 100% hours, not really any grinding or unfun stuff to do, just a nice variety of stuff to enjoy over the 100 hours. Well, the tale end of Fighting Vipers almost drove me mad but that's another story!

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the type of person that traditionally drops games at around the 10 hour mark at most. And yet, I had no issues playing Y0 for over 100 hours. I can't give it any higher praise than that. I enjoyed even the most mundane things in the game. It was like sitting down with a good glass of scotch at the end of the day.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the beginning of Chapter 2 and already finding a heck of a lot of sidequests and minigames to do.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Don't get burned out. That can happen pretty quickly with that series as they tend to repeat themselves much more than they should - pace yourself, don't rush them. Don't expect every installment to be this generous and consistent in terms of mini-game/side-content tho.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Even storywise, it's most likely the longest Yakuza together with Yakuza 5. You can finish 0 in aroun 30-40 hours if you just care for the story. You will tell yourself you will not let yourself getting distracted by all the stuff that's going on aroung you. You will honestly make an attempt to ignore it. But c'mon it's Yakuza. I know you want to play Darts, drink an expensive and licensed Whisky and hang out in Cabaret Clubs. But you will soon realize, this isn't enough. You always wanted to get into Real Estate. And going to a Cabaret Club as a customer isn't enough anymore, you want to manage such a place.

Yes that's Yakuza 0. If you cannot travel to Kabukicho or Dotonbori, at least you can bring both districts to your living room.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Had to stop myself from playing more after 50 hours because of Kiwami and then Yakuza 6. And I just got Kiwami 2 too, so I guess I'll never go back to 0 at this rate because Judgement is also coming. Jesus Sega, just make Cabaret a $60 game, I'll pre order that in an instant.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get burned out. That can happen pretty quickly with that series as they tend to repeat themselves much more than they should - pace yourself, don't rush them. Don't expect every installment to be this generous and consistent in terms of mini-game/side-content tho.
I agree with both these points. The earlier games especially the non Kiwami versions of 1 and 2 have way less content. Heck, even 3 and 4 are less content rich than later games. Though in 4's case its got a decent amount of side stuff, but a bizarrely short story which seems mostly caused by switching characters every few chapters (0 fixes this completely by doing multi characters so much better with its pace).

That said, 5 probably has the most content of the lot, that took me a good 140 hours to 100% and damn straight I'll be doing that again come June when my import PS4 copy arrives!

Even storywise, it's most likely the longest Yakuza together with Yakuza 5. You can finish 0 in aroun 30-40 hours if you just care for the story. You will tell yourself you will not let yourself getting distracted by all the stuff that's going on aroung you. You will honestly make an attempt to ignore it. But c'mon it's Yakuza. I know you want to play Darts, drink an expensive and licensed Whisky and hang out in Cabaret Clubs. But you will soon realize, this isn't enough. You always wanted to get into Real Estate. And going to a Cabaret Club as a customer isn't enough anymore, you want to manage such a place.

Yes that's Yakuza 0. If you cannot travel to Kabukicho or Dotonbori, at least you can bring both districts to your living room.

Judge Eyes edges 0 and maybe even 5 out in terms of story length. Heck, the first chapter took me 8 hours alone to complete (and I basically touched 0 side stuff in that chapter, its a long game, but a damn good one at that).

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Not only are you a Yakuza 0 bro, but a Days Gone one too. Good taste.

BimmyLee

Oct 30, 2017
The Yakuza vortex. Cabaret and Mah Jong were somehow the bulk of my gameplay on Kiwami 2.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I have the theme song for the cabaret hostess customizer permanently burned into my brain.

Somebody say i'm good girl...

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017

Oh yeah, at 99 hours, I was feeling a bit of burnout. But I was glad I could just go through the story stuff, and I saved enough for a Golden Pistol lol

Not only are you a Yakuza 0 bro, but a Days Gone one too. Good taste.

Haha, right back at ya!

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I think my playthrough was 113 hours, which is the longest time I've spent with a Yakuza campaign. Y5 was another one that broke the 100 hour mark, but unlike Y0, that game wore me down by the end. Y0 somehow manages to be fun all the way through from beginning to end without becoming overbearing.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a good 30 hours in and to be honest I'm kinda struggling to play this at the moment. I really want to finish this but every time I fire it up I just don't feel like I'm in the mood. Maybe I'm burnt out since I recently played Kiwami to death.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
I think my playthrough was 113 hours, which is the longest time I've spent with a Yakuza campaign. Y5 was another one that broke the 100 hour mark, but unlike Y0, that game wore me down by the end. Y0 somehow manages to be fun all the way through from beginning to end.

Dunno how 5 runs, but the mini-games definitely keep things fresh in 0. Pocket Circuit is less a racer and more a puzzle. Cabaret is just a fun management mini-game. Real Estate is less involved, but I admit I do feel good every time I upgrade a property. Hell, I had fun playing pool lol.

Still, Real Estate started to feel a bit grindy to me, so I figured eh, I'm not going for a plat, so there's no reason to upgrade everything to S if it's feeling like that. I went right back into the main story after that and getting some more completion points. It works pretty well in 0, agreed.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I clocked at like 120 hours, loved Yakuza 0, it sent me down a 2 year Yakuza rabbit hole.

I have the theme song for the cabaret hostess customizer permanently burned into my brain.

Somebody say i'm good girl...
I'll never forget my girlfriend's reaction to walking in when that song was playing, she had only seen action parts and thought it was a serious crime drama game, she was so confused. I just had to death stare her away.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Threads like these always make me nervous. I got burned out going from Y4 to 5 to zero. The games are so so similar that I think you could easily burn yourself out on the other games if your not careful

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
It still boggles my mind at how utterly incredible Yakuza 0 is. It was my first Yakuza game and it quickly entered my top 10 favorite games of all time. The game is filled to the brim with incredibly entertaining and endearing characters. Kiryu is one of the best Shonen-like protagonist ever, and Majima is a total gem. I love Kiryu's ability to empathize with others, and his ability to be inspired by the drive and determination of others regardless of how demeaning of a position they may hold.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
The only thing I was disappointed with:

The whole game, Sagawa had this shit-eating grin on his face. I kept waiting until I could punch him lol. And then we're chummy at the end and the Omi Alliance kills him.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a good 30 hours in and to be honest I'm kinda struggling to play this at the moment. I really want to finish this but every time I fire it up I just don't feel like I'm in the mood. Maybe I'm burnt out since I recently played Kiwami to death.
You usually wanna give Yakuza games a good break between entries, they are all very repetitive, so it's quite easy to burn out hard. Happened to me with 5, took a full 6 months to finish as I got super burnt-out midway through.

Feb 21, 2019
Judge Eyes edges 0 and maybe even 5 out in terms of story length. Heck, the first chapter took me 8 hours alone to complete (and I basically touched 0 side stuff in that chapter, its a long game, but a damn good one at that).
Story wise, is it better, the same, worse, than Yakuza 0 (which I thought was excellent, especially for Goro).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Story wise, is it better, the same, worse, than Yakuza 0 (which I thought was excellent, especially for Goro).
Hard to say. I try to avoid ranking games over another as I only change my mind when I play a different Yakuza game. But if you enjoy Yakuza you'll certainly enjoy the story in Judge Eyes. Its got its share of excellent characters (and they do an especially excellent job fleshing everyone out seeing as this is the first game they all appear in, without making the game drag) and its got its share of amazing twists and great moments in the second half of the game. Character wise Yagami is good, but its really Kaito and Hamura that sold the game for me, they are both brilliant.

So yeah, its damn good.

Feb 21, 2019
Hard to say. I try to avoid ranking games over another as I only change my mind when I play a different Yakuza game. But if you enjoy Yakuza you'll certainly enjoy the story in Judge Eyes. Its got its share of excellent characters (and they do an especially excellent job fleshing everyone out seeing as this is the first game they all appear in, without making the game drag) and its got its share of amazing twists and great moments in the second half of the game. Character wise Yagami is good, but its really Kaito and Hamura that sold the game for me, they are both brilliant.

So yeah, its damn good.
I mean, I was in anyway, but good to hear.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I was in anyway, but good to hear.
One thing I forgot to mention, is the plot is structured nicely - think a TV show that deals with a series of murders/mysteries - each chapter acting as a individual episode/case and then having the second half have a huge ongoing plot that pulls everything together (trying to be vague here). Its handled really well, and there's at least 3 really satisfying "F Yeah!" moments in the final chapter that bring the hype.

Also, the game handles comedy really well for a number of its characters, Yakuza has always been good at this in the past (especially with Majima and Akiyama) but I felt they did a really nice job here. This is for main story stuff, not side cases, which range from hilarious to flat out insane. In the best possible way.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Normally, tonally inconsistent games/shows irritate me, but it works for me for some reason. Basically, if I wanted serious, I'd do the main story. If I wanted sometimes serious, sometimes hysterical, I do the side stuff.
I think there's an interview with the director somewhere where he mentions that to him Yakuza is about doing silly things in a really serious way which is a perfect description to me and it just works.

Feb 21, 2019
One thing I forgot to mention, is the plot is structured nicely - think a TV show that deals with a series of murders/mysteries - each chapter acting as a individual episode/case and then having the second half have a huge ongoing plot that pulls everything together (trying to be vague here). Its handled really well, and there's at least 3 really satisfying "F Yeah!" moments in the final chapter that bring the hype.

Also, the game handles comedy really well for a number of its characters, Yakuza has always been good at this in the past (especially with Majima and Akiyama) but I felt they did a really nice job here. This is for main story stuff, not side cases, which range from hilarious to flat out insane. In the best possible way.
The Yakuza games are second to none in comedy in games. They can weave serious and whacky so seemlessly. Its masterclass.