• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which horror IP should get a narrative game like Alien: Isolation

• Nightmare on Elm Street

Votes: 48 10.4%
  • Friday the 13th

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • Halloween

Votes: 33 7.1%
  • The Thing

Votes: 257 55.6%
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • Predator

Votes: 56 12.1%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 34 7.4%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
UK
I loved The Thing game and it's my favourite .movie and its easy to see how a new game would work for that reason I voted Nightmare on Elm Street.

I think the dream angle makes for some amazing possibilities in level and monster design.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
The Thing, absolutely. Who's infected? Who isn't infected? Will I be able to do much if I'm infected? Is escape possible? If we escape, can the infection hide in one of us that escapes? Can we escape after destroying the infected and infection?

The answers to these questions can make a game set in a very small world feel pretty vast. Multiple endings, multiple characters determining how the ending plays out. The ability to solve the puzzles of who is infected with the depth of Return of the Obra Dinn would be very neat.

Yeah, The Thing has more possibilities.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Thing.

Last game wasn't great.

Too bad the last movie kind of blew it for the franchise though

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Definitely John Carpenter's The Thing. The trust system would be something I would like someone to improve, it has great potential.

Plus to feel like you always are on the edge suspecting someone all of the time would be everything.

Nov 16, 2017
Nightmare on Elm Street would be amazing just because of the amount of different locales and mechanics that will be possible in a game that has to do with your dreams.

Also Freddy is kinda hilarious, and nothing blends quite so well as horror and comedy.
This is my main reason. The second reason is that you could get Robert Englund back without worrying about the makeup process or the physicality.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I'm an iconoclast so I'll say it: my dream horror game is like A:I but in the museum of "The Relic" (the BOOK, not the meh film). Mbwun was a cool predator.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Nightmare on Elm Street if it pulled some bona fide great moments of hallucination.

The Thing if some stuff was randomized per playthrough *and* it adopted something akin to the Shadow of Mordor Nemesis system (I'm not one of those people who clamors for that system to be put into every open world game under the sun, but I can see the sort of emergent-narrative factor being *great* with the basic format of The Thing).

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Nightmare on Elm Street for its great dream level potential mindfucks.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I am thinking Hellraiser could make a pretty good game if done tastefully.
Also this is a strange one, but Jacobs Ladder as like a FPS adventure game.

But yeah, The Thing is no doubt the most obvious choice.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Predator, a game where you actually need to hide from a predator would be cool.
But I geuss with their skill set they could be too OP or not faithful to canon.

Jan 21, 2019
The Thing but only written by Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica, I wouldn't entrust a game that is so heavy on characters to any other studio. But I can't imagine what the gameplay would be. Now that I think about it, the people who made The Wolf Among Us would be great too and the gameplay of telltale would fit the setting.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Terminator really should have been in your poll, OP - particularly given Alien is not really a pure horror film the way most of the other films are but rather combined elements of horror, scifi and suspense. In that way, Terminator fits perfectly.

The Thing would be so good in many video game forms.

I never played it but the gen6 thing game is considered a cult classic.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
I went with Other. Tremors, please!

Or the zombie trash-classic Return of the Living Dead, now that I think on it a bit more.

Oct 28, 2017
England
The poll needs more Jurassic Park and Terminator.
Put me under other for Jurassic Park. It may not be a horror IP, but a game in that vein would be a perfect fit for Jurassic Park.
Jurassic Park

Turn it into full on horror.

I'd love a Jurassic Park/World game that takes heavy inspiration from Alien Isolation. I keep imagining a moment where you'd need to keep motionless to avoid a T-Rex, and sense of dread that would set in when you hear a group of raptors calling to one another, and getting closer.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I voted Nightmare on Elm Street because I think the dream sequences could be some really cool set pieces, but I agree with a lot of posters on here vying for Jurassic Park. Shocker they haven't made a crazy AAA game out of that yet.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Nightmare on Elm Street is my favourite horror franchise but I have a hard time picturing a good game. The Thing could be really fun though.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Event goddamn Horizon, with a slow shift into a full-on WH40k Space Hulk game by the end.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
You guys missing out on this modern classic?

😏😉

the part where the designer used the Michael Scott "No please god no" yell fucking kills me, lol

I love how the dev just straight up ripped Myer's model from DBD. This wasn't actually for sale on Steam was it? I know the indie scene on Steam has its issues with copyright infringement but this is as blatant as you can get. An unofficial game made on a licensed property using game models from other games.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
a Terminator game set in Los Angeles where you and the target you are trying to protect are being hunted by machine.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
A Thing game inspired by Disco Elysium would be amazing, with a focus on sleuthing out who's human or not, dialogue, choices, and consequences

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Now I want a Thing game remake.

That game had some great ideas that were sadly way ahead of the technology of the time.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
All of them? I'm actually surprised there's not more licensed horror games.

RE7 was already a Texas Chainsaw Massacre homage in the same way RE1 was a Night of the Living Dead homage, but running from Leatherface himself would be horrifying.

I recently enjoyed the Blair Witch game. It was imperfect, but I love horror films and I love the Blair Witch lore, so I still had a good time.

Kojima is apparently a fan of Argento. Wouldn't mind seeing him do a Three Mothers game, somehow.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Giallo-inspired survivor horror/point-and-click hybrid would be basically my dream game.

Or if it has to be an existing IP, I guess a Gabriel Knight style point-and-click game based on Suspiria/Three Mothers lore might be cool.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
The answer is Cloverfield!!!!
FirsthandSimplisticItaliangreyhound-size_restricted.gif

tenor.gif

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
RE7 was already a Texas Chainsaw Massacre homage in the same way RE1 was a Night of the Living Dead homage, but running from Leatherface himself would be horrifying.
I thought RE7 also had a lot of Evil Dead to it, just like how RE1 (the remake at least) had a lot of Hitchcock. Have always enjoyed the RE series wearing its filmic influences on its sleeve.