• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nose or mouth

• Nose

Votes: 88 49.2%
  • Mouth

Votes: 91 50.8%

• Total voters

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What I really want to do know is how did this conversation come up?

Oct 30, 2017
Neither of them on their own would really work. It's the whole face that does it.

DIP2jnG.jpg

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
If we are talking for Pictionary, I would think a nose with like lines implying that something is coming out would get them there eventually. Or a nose with a feather tickling it like in old cartoons.

I don't see how just a mouth would ever get someone to guess sneeze.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly sneeze out of my nose 100% of the time....what is happening

Edit: I guess some air/sound comes out of my mouth but the majority comes out of my nose...

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
If we are talking for Pictionary, I would think a nose with like lines implying that something is coming out would get them there eventually. Or a nose with a feather tickling it like in old cartoons.

I don't see how just a mouth would ever get someone to guess sneeze.
That was kind of what I was thinking. A mouth with lines coming out of it could be yelling or a lot of other things. Lots of things happen with a mouth.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Came in here to vote for the obvious and most logical answer, nose. Ended up seeing a perfect 50/50 split in votes.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Wich is what sneezing tend to do.
TIL some people sneeze from their noses instead of their mouths. And they also shoot boogers out of their nose and at people.

It all comes out my mouth. I don't want snot and boogers flying everywhere.

I remember growing up, and everytime a friend of mine would sneeze, he would quickly cover his nose and run to get a tissue. And everytime I was like, wtf? does he not know how to sneeze?
I think we've come to the crux of the issue here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It all comes out my mouth. I don't want snot and boogers flying everywhere.

I remember growing up, and everytime a friend of mine would sneeze, he would quickly cover his nose and run to get a tissue. And everytime I was like, wtf? does he not know how to sneeze?

If I don't cover my nose while sneezing it's a mess. In fact, the whole point of sneezing I thought was to eject that stuff from your nose.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
A drawn sneeze depicting only mouth would be mistaken for a cough

Nose with flying tissue is how you depict ye olde sneeze

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
TIL some people sneeze from their noses instead of their mouths. And they also shoot boogers out of their nose and at people.

I think we've come to the crux of the issue here.
1. to exhale breath from the nose and mouth in a sudden, involuntary, explosive action, as a result of an irritation of the nasal mucous membrane.

When you don't want to sneeze you pinch your nose, not your mouth.

Last edited:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
1. to exhale breath from the nose and mouth in a sudden, involuntary, explosive action, as a result of an irritation of the nasal mucous membrane.

When you don't want to sneeze you pinch your nose, not your mouth.
I tell ya what. You've got maybe 50% of the people convinced, but not me.

When I don't want to sneeze I close my mouth and hold my breath. Pinching my nose does nothing.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
To my mind sneezing has always been a nose thing. Your nose cavity is irritated and you sneeze to clear the irritant. Any air escaping from the mouth is a byproduct.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You depict it with neither. Hands cover both and eyes are depicted as scrunched. It's more of a mouth thing though. Noses aren't super expressive. Mouths wind up with the big wide "AAAAAH" and then they purse for the "choo".

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
To my mind sneezing has always been a nose thing. Your nose cavity is irritated and you sneeze to clear the irritant. Any air escaping from the mouth is a byproduct.

It's not like the air originates from your nose. The air ultimately comes from your lungs and you choose which hole it gets expelled.

Air travels the path of least resistance. Why try to force a large volume of air out of small nostrils?

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
For you nose sneezers, here's a bunch of disgusting footage of normal people sneezing out their mouth.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
an irritation of the nasal mucous membrane
maybe if you underlined it? my nasal mucous membrane gets irritated, a tremendous force starts in my throat forcing air out of my lungs up through my throat and out of my mouth. Apparently this goes out of some of your noses.

I call you people sneezefreeks.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
so a nose blow and not a sneeze then?

no one ever taught these people how to sneeze. I am actually amazed.

I'm missing something. Do people learn how to sneeze? It has never seemed complicated to me. You eject things from your nose by blowing them or sneezing, you eject things from your mouth by spitting or coughing.

If I tickle the inside of my nose with some tissue paper, and that triggers the response to sneeze, why wouldn't I want the air to come out of my nose?