• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

All Digital? All physical?

• All Digital. Convenience all the way!

• All Physical. Still too many advantages to give up.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
If you had the power to decide the future for the games industry, which would you choose? This is assuming its a binary path and not a mixed market like we have now. Also explain WHY you chose that particular future.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Digital. It's easy, and games are mostly disposable entertainment for me. If I were younger and had less money, as I was once/did, physical was better because trade-in/selling stuff made affording more games easier.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All digital, if done right.

I do not have much hope of 90% of companies doing it right. Especially in the console space. GOG on PC are basically what I would want. The ability to make your own backups without limitation, so you never need to worry about the store or any servers going down in the future.

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
Physical. I like owning my items, plus at any time I can go back and replay the games I own. There's tons of caveats associated with Digital that prevents this, plus licensing can cause games to disappear from a digital store, or have the music changed completely in the game from the original.

Oct 27, 2017
All digital is the way to go especially with the live service model of gaming that is becoming the norm. When they turn off the servers for games like Division 2 we will be on to either the Division 3 or 4, or whatever other online game Ubi makes. So, why keep a copy of the disk for something that is not going to be played anymore? I get the idea of preserving games but most of these titles are so heavily online focused.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
If I had to choose right now, all physical for sure. You get the games at release for cheaper, can play/install them whenever you want, you sometimes get some nice bonuses, you can lend them to friends, and you can even resell them if needed (or keep a nice collection).
Well, except for PC because there isn't a choice anymore there (but then again, this platform is a step above for digital unlike consoles).

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
All digital.

Data not tied to a specific place or physical object has the best chance at surviving any one event, like damage, theft or breakage.

Now, all digital hasn't been perfect, with titles removed for a sale, sometimes without warning and even entire storefronts closing down. The ideal would be the GOG model but that's still an ongoing experiment. I'd also like to see digital loans/renting, as I do rent games from my local library.

Oct 27, 2017
Physical is best for game preservation which the industry doesn't seem to care about

All digital is nice but games and services can disappear in an instant. Imagine Mario 64 was digital only in 96, your N64 stops working and the servers for the shop are offline and the later Nintendo consoles don't have BC because they switched architectures so now you can't play one of the most revolutionary games of all time at all.

If you're fine with being at the mercy of publishers then all digital is good for you. But I'd rather have the option of preserving games myself

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
All digital.

There are too many smaller budget games that would not be able to exist if everything had to only exist physically.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All digital is better for the industry and I'm already 90% there so that

I'm 90% all digital. I only buy physical for games I know I'll trade back. I'd like to see some sort of policy on digital games, would be good to be able to return a game if you were done with it, within say 30 days and maybe get back a third or half of the full price back.

EDIT: Either way I support digital 100%, it's cost effective and can't beat being able to play a new game on the stroke of midnight.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't mind both. Having digital releases allow for self publishing so it helps independent developers. Then I also love having physical copies especially for the expensive AAA games.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Not sure why anyone would want to give up on the option to borrow games to friends or sell them.

The only reason for me to buy digital is a cheaper price, which is usually only the case on PC.

Neil Howarth

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Been all digital since the start of this generation on all 3 consoles and PC. Fuck storing cases and switching out games.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Without digital, indies cannot compete and thrive in the market. That reason alone is why I'd choose digital only, even though I'm a staunch physical media guy.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
All physical easily.
You can borrow, trade and sell games.
It's also a lot of fun to just collect and display games.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
For consoles physical all the way.

Why would you want to be dictated the price of a console game by only one provider on your platform of choice? It would only result in higher prices to the consumer. It reaks of corporations exploiting that one simple fact.

In the U.K. digital games cost £55-£50 and physical might start at that price but due to numerous retailers the prices drop a lot more and lot more quickly too.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
All digital, if I was never going to move ever again that might be different but I just don't have room for all the games I play.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
All digital, assuming it's a lifetime guarantee of access and I'll never have to worry about losing the content due to physical degradation or data corruption.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
digital has allowed a lot more games to be released. soo digital. although they do have a few kinks to work out.

anyway, why can't we have both? all these topics on physical's proposed imminent demise is amusing (not this topic but others that pop up). you can still buy cd's at the store lol. physical games will still be here in 20 years.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Physical GOTY aka all patched Editions. Digital stores close and content disappear. Look at PS3.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Physical... atleast if it means that the otherwise "digital only" stuff would still get a release here

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
If physical copies would come finished withouth GBs Day1 patches, physicial, but it seems that, the way the game is inside the disk is just full of bugs.

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
This one is easy. Most games I play nowadays, AAA or not, wouldn't even exist without digital distribution.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
All digital. It's more beneficial for developers/publishers, and the environment. Plus, the future of backwards capability seems more likely to be digital than physical.

Jan 10, 2018
Digital. With the environment in mind I would say it's the only possible future. Either that or developers would have to create more convenient materials for holding physical copies.

Oct 27, 2017
All physical. Sure, space management is a chore, but being able to buy, sell, and lend my games as I please will always be something I value more than convenience.

Also digital is only appealing for whatever current generation it is in, afterwards the infrastructure feels dated. There are a lot of PS3 digital-only games I have yet to play, but dealing with the PS3's download management, PSN store, and the speed at which these two run, is so, SO terrible.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I much I would like physical media, I'm going digital on this. I like the Minimalist lifestyle.