• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Absolutely!!!! And it was something I considered for a time. Especially now working from home is the dream.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Yeah sure, I post alot to instagram right now but it would be fun to have a youtube where I can talk about games and anime and stuff. Assuming someone else handles all the technical stuff.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
No, I assume most people in here have a computer or smart phone that they can upload a video from. That's it.

I'm asking you what's the point of this hypothetical precisely because of what you listed - people aren't going to even attempt to make room for those things in the first place for that if "success" is not in the picture.
In this hypothetical you already have the room for these things by default. The question is asking if you'd pursue this line of work if you had nothing holding you back

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
In this hypothetical you already have the room for these things by default. The question is asking if you'd pursue this line of work if you had nothing holding you back
I'd argue success is the difference from it being considered a line of work or not.

If you reframed the OP with "with no guaranteed financial or viewership success", then this thread would be way different.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I could make as much or more money than I make right now? Abso-fucking-lutely.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I do have a very small youtube channel currently that I post to regularly as a hobby. Only like 40 subscribers so I dont really have to worry about being bombarded by hate mail haha.

Its a fun thing to do as a hobby but if it were to become my full time job I'm not sure I would enjoy it nearly as much anymore. Suddenly it would become work and I think a lot of the fun would be gone.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
No. I don't understand the fascination people have with this or the need to put yourself out there for people's approval. And I don't like even having my picture taken, let alone being in a video. I hate being the center of attention.

HylianMaster2020

alt account
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
Paid to stream? Fine, it would be a huge advantage and I congratulate anyone who makes money streaming, one of the craziest things that happened in the history of the world.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Absolutely, I love being a center of attention, I love showing people weird cool shit they may not be totally aware of, and I can handle shit thrown at me from strangers that might come with that sort of job. I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm generally very introverted, but things become a bit different when it's all virtual interactions.

Oct 29, 2017
I would become mentally unsound. I'd get lost in all the attention if I got big enough to live off streaming. I wouldn't get a big head but socially I'd be mentally worse off than I am now making virtual friends during this pandemic.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No, I wouldn't want the fame/recognition publicly, and it seems very risky. The pressure to stay good at streaming seems really high, and almost like sports (Without the huge salaries), once you fall behind and fall out of the public eye ... it seems hard to have transferrable skills to another line of work. Unless I'm making bank where I don't need to worry about working after age ~40 or something, I'd have this constant sense of dread with like "Can I still do this when I'm 45... and ... what am I going to do if I can't do this?"

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't bear to spoil both the illusion of both visual avatar and voice.

Also I hate how I look and sound in the physical realm, so yeah nah definitely not.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
If I could do whatever I wanted and people would support me, absolutely. Being a streamer specifically. I don't think I have enough good ideas to make it long term making produced videos.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If I could make at least $50K-$60K range, yes. Otherwise, I'm still somewhat interested in doing some streaming just for fun. I'm not sure how popular streamers keep up with chat though lol.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
If I could make money from it maybe. I don't have a thick skin though and don't deal with stalkers well. So probably no.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
If those 4-5 years made me enough money though, yes. I doubt I'd make it though, since I'm a very boring person and have no charisma.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
It's not hard or time consuming to make one 5 minute video per week, so how serious they are into it matters. If monetary results don't matter, then it would be easy to do it for 4-5 years. To actually make money, they need to create a lot more than a 5 min vlog once a week, and it needs to have some decent quality.

I think most people try to do it because they think they can make a few bucks. I think a lot of people quit soon after because they don't make any money. I've seen several channels last only a few videos before they give up.

I imagine there are plenty of people who SAY they do it just for fun, but I bet a lot of them don't do it for 4-5 years.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Maybe idk ? I mean I got this going for me even though I never once streamed lmao maybe i should do something with it.

Ohkabe.jpg

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
If it guarantees financial stability, yes, absolutely.

I don't care what other people think about me (as far as unkind/rude/mean people) in any way shape or form, so if I had a successful channel I'd be more than happy to do it for a long period of time.

My daughters have wanted to start their own channel for the longest time, and we've dabbled in it (like 6 videos in an entire year, that's it). However, I'm hesitant to expose them to people and the internet. Also, my wife thinks the idea of making a living off of YouTube is a joke ("not real work"). She's a hardcore "career/real job" woman, and scoffs at online personalities, lol.

We plan on buying a new home in the near future, and I may set up a "Youtube broadcast" area if we get the 4-5 bedroom home we're planning for/need.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
is the possibility of being death threated, doxxed, swatted part of the deal in this scenario?

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I don't care what other people think about me (as far as unkind/rude/mean people) in any way shape or form, so if I had a successful channel I'd be more than happy to do it for a long period of time.
Thin skinned people don't survive on youtube. Everybody gets trolled. You can be the nicest, most likeable person on the planet and you'll still get hate. People nit pick and actively look for things to complain about. Or they just hate you for who you are. That's what the internet is now. Not caring about the trolls and haters is a high priority requirement.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I would have to make orders of magnitude more than I'm making now, since it would pretty much tank any prospects of returning to my same career after 5 years of doing something entirely unrelated.

Nov 2, 2018
I've been growing my channel with my wife for a year and a half - hoping to finally monetise before the end of the year with a bit of luck

It's a fun project and helps scratch a creative itch - I tried creative writing and blogging but couldn't stick to it like with the channel.

Speaking of trolls I found it funny a few weeks back we spent hours and hours researching, making footage, editing a good video and it just takes some ass 20 seconds to come along and type a dismissive comment.

Deleted member 11796

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not. I value my privacy and quiet life too much to deal with absolute psychopaths for some quick cash.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I make a lot of music and play in bands, i would absolutely love to have a youtube channel/fanbase to talk shop about synths, recording, mixing, song writing. I feel that kind of scene about weird quirky guitar pedals is way less toxic than say..fucking video games or politics channel

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Do I get paid like Ninja or another streamer/youtuber who has made it their career and makes like 6 figures? Hell yeah I would

Do I get like 10k views and it brings in maybe 5k a year! Hell no

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
No, I hate being the center of attention and I hate have to rely on stupid, fickle humans who apparently like you better the more you scream and shout at the screen (which goes back to hating being the center of the attention).

I have a nice, steady job that currently lets me work from home (with indications this could be the way going forward) that doesn't really even need me to interact with anyone else other than via email. I don't think there is any amount that could get me to give it up for streaming (i.e. I'm pretty sure Ninja makes millions and that still wouldn't be enough).

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I would be the most boring streamer ever. I don't talk when I play games, I sit there very focused and probably show very little emotion.

If I could get 10-15k a month donations for being my boring ass self, though? Absolutely.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I could ensure that no one would try to go out of their way to try to meet me in-person, then yes

sadly, that's impossible to ensure, really.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
If I had more financial backing surrounding it, sure.

I stream every once in a while right now as a light hobby and have a bunch of gear from my job that makes it easier, but it's an expensive buy in to do right and a lot of effort to maintain. Streaming isn't easy.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
If it came with enough money and I could just do what I wanted, sure. I can do that for a couple hours. Plus a friend of mine streams and I've helped him every so often with growing his channel. So if I could do it and help him grow his stuff it'd be worth it.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Absolutely not. I value my privacy and quiet life too much to deal with absolute psychopaths for some quick cash.
You don't have to deal with them. You can ignore them. Words in youtube comments do not affect your privacy and quiet life in any way.

Hateful comments are meaningless. They might sound like a psychopath, but they are only if you think they are. If you think they're just rude idiots, then they are just rude idiots. You never actually have to deal with the real person if you ignore them, and ignoring their stupid comments is the easiest and less stressful thing to do. Don't feed the trolls.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
I've been considering taking up streaming as a hobby, but I have zero interest in showing my face to the world, no matter how popular I get.

Oct 25, 2017
Not on camera. I get social anxiety and the idea of running into a fan at any moment just doesn't sound great. If I ever did YouTube videos it would be something in the style of a Matthew Maitosis or even a Scott the Woz re-worked without the live action bits.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Not on camera. I get social anxiety and the idea of running into a fan at any moment just doesn't sound great. If I ever did YouTube videos it would be something in the style of a Matthew Maitosis or even a Scott the Woz re-worked without the live action bits.
Same here lol its one thing to talk to a fan but it's another thing to be put on the spot and have to switch to "personality mode"