• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you do

• I'm setting him free, it's the right thing

Votes: 293 56.2%
  • Hell no, I am using that last wish.

Votes: 228 43.8%

• Total voters

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Were there defined limitations on Genie's power? Or was it basically just "he can't do anything that would fuck up the plot we decided on"?
It's been a while since I watched it, but I think he still ran on the old limits. No killing, no resurrections, no mind control.

But he mostly ran on plot. He was, however considered mundane enough that stuff that would affect other magic also affected him. There was an episode where Mozenrath had some magic eating monster that was presented as a real danger to Genie, for instance. Basically, Mozenrath was presented as a threat to Genie more times than not. He was countered more by Aladdin doing thief-like things rather than blunt Genie force.

Genie was also very durable meaning he took hits and were out of the fight. Better he get blasted over the horizon than his buddy Al takes that hit, after all.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
The genie was probably locked up for a reason

Unleashing an omnipotent being onto the world because you saw a Disney movie doesnt sound like a good idea

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
SmugAggravatingIrishredandwhitesetter-max-1mb.gif

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Only if it's an obviously good and cool genie like Robin Williams. Most other genies in fiction seem kinda malevolent.

Oct 26, 2017
If he's an asshole, my third wish would be to set him free with none of his powers. I would also say it in the most direct, straightforward manner so that there are no twists.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Do they have a personality or are they just like "what are your three wishes my master"? Cause if they just ask for the wishes and that's it I don't see anyway I would not just make 3 big wishes that would benefit me and my family and that's it. If they want freedom they better make a case for it I guess.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I watched it, but I think he still ran on the old limits. No killing, no resurrections, no mind control.

But he mostly ran on plot. He was, however considered mundane enough that stuff that would affect other magic also affected him. There was an episode where Mozenrath had some magic eating monster that was presented as a real danger to Genie, for instance. Basically, Mozenrath was presented as a threat to Genie more times than not. He was countered more by Aladdin doing thief-like things rather than blunt Genie force.
Yeah I think the problem with having Genie as a main character is that you would be forced to invent increasingly powerful villains that could counter his powers. But that would make the rest of the mortal, human main characters increasingly useless in a fight against the all-powerful villains. It's an interesting conundrum and I'm kinda curious how they handled it -- but not really curious enough to make me watch the entire animated series or the straight-to-video sequels.

It looks like DisneyPlus doesn't even have the Aladdin TV series available for viewing -- what's up with that?

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
No, most genies (Djin) in myth are considered hostile and outright evil. They're essentially demons bound to a mundane object. If anything I'd wish for it to destroy itself utterly.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Monkey Paw Genie wishes:

1. Remove Trump from presidency (Putin ends up taking over the US with alien technology in 2021, calls himself US Emperor...)

2. Reverse the last wish (Trump is back but beats Biden in 2020)

3. Wish for the Genie to be sealed in his bottle eternally (monkey paw yourself out of that one, bitch)

Aladdin Genie:

1. Make myself a Genie without restrictions.

2. ???(I'm all powerful, why need any more wishes?

3. Wish him free...

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I would never get to the third wish, would be forever thinking at the first.

Like, even wishing "world peace" could fuck something up.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Monkey Paw Genie wishes:

1. Remove Trump from presidency (Putin ends up taking over the US with alien technology in 2021, calls himself US Emperor...)

2. Reverse the last wish (Trump is back but beats Biden in 2020)

3. Wish for the Genie to be sealed in his bottle eternally (monkey paw yourself out of that one, bitch)

Aladdin Genie:

1. Make myself a Genie without restrictions.

2. ???(I'm all powerful, why need any more wishes?

3. Wish him free...
Monkey paw wish 3: You freed evil genie because to him his bottle is this reality.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, it reminded me "The Man In The Bottle" from the Twilight Zone.

The guy wished to "be the leader of a modern country where he can't be voted out of office"

The-Twilight-Zone-The-Man-in-the-Bottle-4.jpg

Reminds me of the X-Files episode when Mulder found a Genie who had monkey paw powers.

He spent and entire day trying to create a wish that had no loopholes and the Genie found one...made me lol at that episode.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I'd try do the unlimited wishes wish first and if that doesn't pan out, I'm taking all 3.

Realistically, I'd really only need 1 but I can definitely figure out 2 more wishes.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
3rd wish: erase genie's memory so it's not aware of its misery and won't kick up a fuss when I want more wishes.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
1st wish be able to unlock power on and off of being the luckiest being in the universe.
2nd wish be able to heal myself and others on command
3rd free genie

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naw. Will have a team of lawyers force him to sign contracts to fulfill my wishes. While also planning to infinite additional wishes.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
It's simple:

Wish 1: Infinite X
Wish 2: Make Trump/Putin/Xi/insert dictator die.
Wish 3: 3 more wishes

Repeat in perpetuity.
X can be anything (i.e. power, money, immortality, respect).

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I guess one would be to have all the cumulative knowledge of all living species in the universe both future and past, and the other would probably be the ability to will objects into creation just by thinking them. That should pretty much do it for me. I could probably use those two abilities to create anything to allow me to do anything I could ever want.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
1. Wish
2. Wish
3. Wish for him to be free so that no one else can come across him and use all 3 wishes to get some kind of insurmountable power that completely renders mine useless. ie: "take away all the wishes everyone before me got out of you" etc.

I've always pondered that it would be wise for me to make the first two wishes EXTREMELY well thought out and valuable so that a third wish isn't even really needed. I could ask for a specific super power that I could then use to achieve all the other things I want, instead of wasting wishes on them? If I could do that then my second wish could be something super generous to society or fix something broken about the world. I really do like the idea of "do something for me, do something for the world, and set the genie free". Though it may be a situation where I can't really achieve the things I want without having to use both first wishes on it.

I would also obviously need to know what this particular genie's rules are. Are they the same ones from the Aladdin cartoon movie? Or are there more traditional rules I've never heard of? What if the rules are MEGA strict and I can't really do much in the way of achieving any kind of true power, thus have to just use my wishes for simple riches and material possessions?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
A being that powerful has to be restrained. At the very least, you should wish for him to become a normal, mortal human.....just setting him free could open quite the Pandora's box.

Aladdin itself addressed that problem by having Genie come back as merely a magical creature rather than being all-powerful. It assumes that the power goes hand in hand with the servitude, and that being free makes you something less powerful.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I guess one would be to have all the cumulative knowledge of all living species in the universe both future and past, and the other would probably be the ability to will objects into creation just by thinking them. That should pretty much do it for me. I could probably use those two abilities to create anything to allow me to do anything I could ever want.

This is actually the only power I've really been able to think of that would supply me with all I need- especially if it includes the ability to modify existing things at will. ie: will money into my bank account, will the paper trail to make it all seem legit and not raise any alarms, will my body into being more fit and better looking, will any disease or cancer out of my body, etc. That would allow me to take care of myself and others.

ALSO: technically this doesn't count as wishing to be a genie or wishing for more wishes!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aladdin itself addressed that problem by having Genie come back as merely a magical creature rather than being all-powerful. It assumes that the power goes hand in hand with the servitude, and that being free makes you something less powerful.
Haha, keep reading the thread :) I'm definitely interested in how Disney's Aladdin movies & TV shows dealt with the issue of a free Genie.

Oct 25, 2017
Genies/Jinns are almost exclusively portrayed as extremely malevolent in their mythology, and since the mythology is all we have to go by, fuck no.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it would make anyone crazy

Presumably someone or something past or present throughout the entire history of the universe would have figured out how to overcome that in some way, and thus I would know how to do that, and could handle it.

To be safe, though, I'd reverse the order of the wishes so that I could instantly materialize any sort of device or mechanism I would need to contain such madness and allow me to comprehend what knowledge I would now possess.