• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you do

• I'm setting him free, it's the right thing

Votes: 293 56.2%
  • Hell no, I am using that last wish.

Votes: 228 43.8%

• Total voters

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was watching Aladdin and Aladdin does the right thing in setting the Genie free with his last wish, but... is that what you would do if you had three wishes? Do you set your genie free or are you using that last wish?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
If it's the Aladdin Genie instead of an asshole genie who twists your wishes, then yeah I'll set him free.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, King Solomon probably locked the dude in a bottle for a reason.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
two reality warping wishes is two more than I ever thought i would have

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bit of an ethical quandary, there.

If it was Genie from Aladdin? Sure, he's a sweetheart.

But what about some other, random genie? Sure, he's a slave, and slavery is wrong, but what if he's a goddamn monster? You've just set loose upon the universe a near-omnipotent evil being.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
v0BsRiw.jpg

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
If the comic Fables has taught me anything, it's that the third wish has to be used to put the genie back into the bottle, or else it'll be free to kill (but most likely, torture) you and then wreak havoc upon the world(s).

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
"Listen, don't fuck me with word games or whatever on the first 2 wishes and I'll use my last wish to free you or whatever else you want"

Anything else, I wouldn't trust them to not pull monkey paw shit on me.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A being that powerful has to be restrained. At the very least, you should wish for him to become a normal, mortal human.....just setting him free could open quite the Pandora's box.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
If he wants it I'll wish for him to turn into a free human.

I'm not unleashing something that powerful upon the world with no limits.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I mean if I get 2 wishes from the genie, it's only fair that I grant him my final wish to be free.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I'd ask the genie first.

If genies are bound to the lamps in a way where freeing them from it would kill them, or the genie just flat out doesn't want to be free, then I'm not going to wish for it.

Though asking that the lamp will only be found by people who would treat the genie with kindness and respect is an option, too. If the genie can't be freed, at least make its life slightly more bearable.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
That phrase sounds like a wish. So, you are down to 1 (since you promised to free him).
That doesn't remotely sound like a wish, but I'd still accept that if it meant that I got just one wish made with good intentions and no monkey paw bullshit. Just one wish that goes as it should, and you're set.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna use my last wish to create Shenron & the Dragon Balls so we can end the genie menace for good. Not in my lifetime of course since we'd lack the means of tracking the Dragon Balls, but the genie would be dealt with!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to contrast the responses in this thread to the responses in the "when should AI get basic human rights" thread.

I doubt there's anybody who posted in both but the tone seems different when we regard magical non-human genies versus engineered non-human robots.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
If he asked me to then yes but if not no

1. Immortality
2. Mind Control Powers
3. I want to be able to have unlimited knowledge/memory (this is the one I'd change if the genie asked for it)

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
That phrase sounds like a wish. So, you are down to 1 (since you promised to free him).
If the Genie goes all Stalker's Wish Granter on your first, then you would need the 2nd one to fix it (assuming you survived, though). So, he already got you.

And think about it: The Genie was jailed there, for a reason. And, other than King Solomon, there is no recount of other owners. Which means that he really, really hid the contraption like his life depended on it. And/Or something nefarious happened to said previous owner(s).

MC Hammer was right all along. You need to leave that shit alone.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how the first two wishes went (and if the genie even wants to be free). If the genie went all monkey's paw on them, then it's probably an evil asshole who shouldn't be free. If the genie was nice and considerate with them, then yeah, I'd set the genie free.

Of course, in the nice genie scenario, my second wish would have been for phenomenal cosmic power of my own without drawbacks (my first wish would have been a test to see if the genie was an asshole, and if they were, I wouldn't trust them with that second wish).

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
two wishes should be enough to grant yourself enough power to do anything you could possibly ever want if you use them creatively enough.