• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you let kids enjoy believe in Santa in peace?

• Yes

Votes: 690 78.1%
  • I’m the sadistic evil bastard who spoils it for them.

Votes: 194 21.9%

• Total voters

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Telling your kids the truth never makes you an asshole. It's always the people without kids trying to preach to parents on how to parent. gtfo with that shit, and have a merry Christmas.
This is categorically wrong. "Actually Jimmy we ARE getting divorced because of you. Your learning disability has put too much strain on our relationship and mommy and daddy hate each other now."

"Honestly? Justice doesn't exist so you should just focus on becoming wealthy enough so that the rules don't apply to you."

Having kids doesn't suddenly make people into wizened and learned sages of truth and righteousness. The world is littered with abject morons who have no business having children and need to be told by anybody paying attention how to raise their children. FACT: Nobody without kids have ever raised a school shooter or pedophile. Merry Christmas!

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
This is categorically wrong. "Actually Jimmy we ARE getting divorced because of you. Your learning disability has put too much strain on our relationship and mommy and daddy hate each other now."

"Honestly? Justice doesn't exist so you should just focus on becoming wealthy enough so that the rules don't apply to you."

Having kids doesn't suddenly make people into wizened and learned sages of truth and righteousness. The world is littered with abject morons who have no business having children and need to be told by anybody paying attention how to raise their children. FACT: Nobody without kids have ever raised a school shooter or pedophile. Merry Christmas!

This site. Lol.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017

These Santa threads are always fun

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
lol I know you were largely trying to make a very valid point of "Maybe don't judge how people parent until you've done it yourself," but it seemed like you came in hot so I had to be an obnoxious tool. THAT'S THE RULES OF INTERNET BATTLE

(Just know I was largely trying to be facetious while disagreeing with you. Not trying to be a dick and I do hope you and everyone has a great holiday)

Dec 30, 2020
....Santa Claus IS real, he was a Turkish man who lived long ago.

Then his life got really interesting. Weird that none of the other saints went on to have adventures with Martians or Ernest P Worrel.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Please tell me we're doing the "Santa is religious indoctrination" thread from last year I loved that. If anything we should love Santa because it shows we can grow out of our made-up beliefs. "Grow out" though let the kid find out themselves, some kid at school will ruin it by fifth grade.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Era never fails to wake me up with a laugh. These Santa takes are killing me.

My 4 year old has a big mouth, so if I told him now that Santa isn't real, he would tell every kid he came across.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
he's literally sitting in the shopping mall
Santa "deniers" are a basement dwelling bunch who never leave their homes, I've seen like 4 Santas today
who's drinking the milk, huh? not my dad, he's lactose-intolerant you dweebs

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly after I figured that shit out as a kid I was just annoyed as hell that my parents still insisted to keep up appearances for years and years. Pretty sure after a while they were just trolling lol

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Why does a stranger telling a child Santa isn't real instantly make them believe Santa isn't real? Can you, instead, tell them Santa is the Mothman and will only visit if every light in the house is on?

I for one would use these powers for good, such as explaining to children how to use their belief in Santa as a threat to their parents by telling mom and dad if Santa doesn't bring them a PS5 then Santa clearly isn't real and doesn't love them.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In real America, a dude coming down the chimney with a sack over his shoulder would get got with 9mm bullets on his ass from a gun.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Nolan North's take on this in a video he was in with Troy Baker. Santa is a "magic" that you don't take away on purpose, because they're kids. And the last thing you want to hit kids with is more reality that shatters more of their childhood. His… son? I believe it was? Maybe a nephew? Came to him one day, upset after learning the whole shindig was a ruse. To it he responded something like, "Now that you know, you're Santa Claus — and you can carry that magic to the next generation."

We were told Santa was fake from the get-go by our parents, but our Uncle hammed it up with extravagant wrapping from "Santa". Every year we were all very, "we know he's not real," and Uncle would deny the accusations. And I don't know man, Christmas was still super exciting, but sometimes I look back and am like.. man. If I ever have kids, they'll definitely be allowed to believe in some stuff.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it ok to ruin their believe in the tooth fairy, easter bunny or whatever other fantasy figure and not Santa Clause?
Exactly. We told our daughter when she was 4. Santa is like the tooth fairy and Easter Bunny, they're characters for the Holiday. Like a unicorn or mermaid. She understood instantly and had no issues.

The poll results are surprising given this forums almost universal hate for religion… it's okay with letting kids believe in Santa?

lol Ok. Merry Christmas y'all!

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP, you do realize the modern depiction of Santa was created by Coca-Cola right? You're mad people don't want their kids basically believing in an advertisement.

I didn't have Santa growing up in a Jewish household and nothing of value was lost. It's a fairy tale no different from jack and the beanstalk. To get worked up about how others choose to spend their holidays is dumb. If I do have children with my wife, they'd be half Jewish half Hindu (Hinjew lol) so we still won't be celebrating this holiday anyway.

Ruining it for other people's kids is messed up, sure. But telling your own kids the truth? I really don't see how that's wrong.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
What is so fun? I was not rised in a western family... so I don't get the fun part.
Santa was the source of some anxiety for me, because I was pretty sure I wasn't a good kid. Also one of the rules stated that if you weren't asleep when he came to your house, he would skip over you...and I had trouble sleeping, of course. So there I would be in my bed for hours, trying to listen for Santa so I could pretend to be asleep, it sucked.

For as much fun as Santa is for some children, it's probably the actual anticipation of gifts and getting what you want and playing with it that makes most children happy. Santa's magic seems to be mostly for adults, all the make-believe, and a huge dose of nostalgia.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Our kids have known that Santa is just a character from the start, and yet they somehow have a great Christmas every year.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Im not going to tell other kids anything about Santa but if I had kids I would find it useless and damaging to get their hopes up about some imaginary fatass that gets all the credit for all the planning, money, work and execution of Christmas gifts instead of the loved ones who worked hard to pull off the holiday. I don't need to teach my kids about said imaginary fatass for them to "have joy" or behave or whatever the fuck people excuse teaching their kids Santa believe. I'd rather my kids appreciate the holiday for spending time with loved ones and giving each other gifts, not waiting for Santa to love them with materialistic, neglectful "love" once a year based on their behavior. To each their own but the Santa story would have no place with my kids in our home.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
The world needs to stop telling kids that Santa is real. It's a shitty thing and does a lot of harm to kids from families that can't afford much(but who are also too stupid to also tell the kids that Santa isnt real)

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
it's the same as wrestling "hurr durr you know it's fake right?"
So fucking what? You know Robert Downy Jr isn't really Iron Man right?

Oct 27, 2017
My kids love believing in Santa and I fully support it. When they figure it out, that's fine, but HOLY SHIT on some of the responses in this thread

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
What is so fun? I was not rised in a western family... so I don't get the fun part.
spongebob-squarepants-spongebob.gif

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I liked Nolan North's take on this in a video he was in with Troy Baker. Santa is a "magic" that you don't take away on purpose, because they're kids. And the last thing you want to hit kids with is more reality that shatters more of their childhood. His… son? I believe it was? Maybe a nephew? Came to him one day, upset after learning the whole shindig was a ruse. To it he responded something like, "Now that you know, you're Santa Claus — and you can carry that magic to the next generation."

We were told Santa was fake from the get-go by our parents, but our Uncle hammed it up with extravagant wrapping from "Santa". Every year we were all very, "we know he's not real," and Uncle would deny the accusations. And I don't know man, Christmas was still super exciting, but sometimes I look back and am like.. man. If I ever have kids, they'll definitely be allowed to believe in some stuff.
Sure and this is fine. But there's plenty of magic out there founded in reality. We send human beings to space. We have access to limitless information in a device in our pocket. We have interactive video games where literally anything can happen and the possibilities are endless.

There are ruins of cities in Latin America that are thousands of years old. We've explored the highest mountains, deepest oceans, and most lush forests.

You don't need to lie to your kids to mystify them and create a wonderful childhood full of discovery and adventure. The real world has that in a way that a flimsy story of a magical fat trespasser doesn't.

Heck, I still feel like I'm discovering "magic" all around me and I'm in my 30s. Cultivating that sense of childlike wonder doesn't depend on a belief in Santa.

Santa Clause is a low-value capitalist nothing-burger compared to what else is out there to bond over. I'd rather that child-like sense of wonder be about something genuine.

My kid knows there is no such thing and you damn right we told him. I'm not giving some made up dude credit for bringing my son happiness.

I think that is genuinely great. Kudos.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
My wife doesn't want to do the Santa thing, she wants to teach our now 18 month old that everybody can be Santa and that he isn't some higher power being that watches everything you do. It makes sense but I loved the Santa mythos when I was a kid and finding out he wasn't real want wasn't some huge upsetting event where I blamed my parents for deceiving me, it just made sense.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Im not going to tell other kids anything about Santa but if I had kids I would find it useless and damaging to get their hopes up about some imaginary fatass that gets all the credit for all the planning, money, work and execution of Christmas gifts instead of the loved ones who worked hard to pull off the holiday. I don't need to teach my kids about said imaginary fatass for them to "have joy" or behave or whatever the fuck people excuse teaching their kids Santa believe. I'd rather my kids appreciate the holiday for spending time with loved ones and giving each other gifts, not waiting for Santa to love them with materialistic, neglectful "love" once a year based on their behavior. To each their own but the Santa story would have no place with my kids in our home.
I think this approach fosters a deeper sense of respect, maturity, and appreciation from kids in the long run.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me we're doing the "Santa is religious indoctrination" thread from last year I loved that. If anything we should love Santa because it shows we can grow out of our made-up beliefs. "Grow out" though let the kid find out themselves, some kid at school will ruin it by fifth grade.

This thread does feel a little grinchy

I grew up with the hybrid model where parents and grandparents brought some gifts and Santa brought a few others.

I also distinctly remember making a Christmas letter for Santa and my mom being like "if you ask for all those toys then you're taking away from other kids". A lot of media portrayed kids getting like one gift from Santa so the logic was sound.

So I guess it never crossed my mind to question what other kids got?

Anyway I was 9 when I realized there wasn't a Santa and told my mom as such who fessed up. She asked me to not tell any of other kids and that was that. I wasn't upset and it didn't leave a lasting impact or whatever. I'm sure I was happily doing something else like 5 minutes later anyway.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I love Santa but staying st my inlaws and we had a few upset kids today after one got an Xbox series X from Santa while the others got some candy and clothing.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw my dad wrapping up my copy of cruis'n world on n64 when I woke up late at night. Old fat bearded fuck took credit for far too long.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
"What do you believe? Why do you think that?" It's not hard people, you don't have to pick between lying forever and being an asshole.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
When they eventually figure it out if they choose to stop believing that's up to them, but I won't be that person who spoils it for them, it's not a good thing to do and I don't like the sort of people who go around spoiling it for the innocent kids.

So honesty is a bad thing now? Regardless, most kids figure it out relatively early anyway, but it should be up to the parents to decide how long they want their children believing in imaginary beings, if at all.

I know some make it a goal for it to last a lifetime, but that's on them.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I feel santa is a mixed bag. My nephew still believes in him, and I bite my tongue because it makes him happy. But the whole modern Santa myth stems from from capitalism, and the pressure parents feel to get what their kids want often drives them into debt that they can't afford to take on.

I really wish that culturally we could move towards ending the toxic parts of Christmas.

This. I have so many friends who talk about how stressful christmas is, and its like... we are fucking adults. It's a holiday, should be all good. No need to give into this bullshit.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Wrong, and this goes for adults too. Being kind > being technically correct.

Or you all go to your grandparents saying "actually God isn't real"

Well that's not being kind, or technically correct. Because actually, no one knows either way. Believing in a god means about as much as not believing in one. Nothing. The main difference is that those who don't believe in one aren't relying on something that may or may not exist to fix all of their problems for them.

I love Santa but staying st my inlaws and we had a few upset kids today after one got an Xbox series X from Santa while the others got some candy and clothing.

For a kid that may as well be a lump of coal.

Last edited: